Archive: Headline News
It's official - bassist JEFF PILSON will be reuniting with DIO to record the as-yet untitled album. The band will be entering the studio the middle of April, with a tentative June 2004 release date. Pilson is replacing long time basisst JIMMY BAIN, who has left to pursure other projects. Pilson, known for his work in DOKKEN, also appeared on the Strange Highways and Angry Machines Dio albums in the mid 90s. While appearing on the syndicated EDDIE TRUNK radio show Friday night, vocalist RONNIE JAMES DIO said the album would be a cross between Magica and Killing the Dragon with many fast songs. He also said that the Dio catalog will be remastered soon.
Guitarist Buckethead has officially left GUNS N' ROSES. According to MTV.com, Buckethead became fed up with GUNS' inability to complete an album or tour and stopped working the group late last year, his manager said.
Although Buckethead appeared on the green carpet at the Grammy Awards last month and was introduced by PARLIAMENT/FUNKADELIC bassist Bootsy Collins as a member of GUNS N' ROSES, he had already told GUNS frontman Axl Rose he no longer wanted to be in the band, the manager told MTV.com.
The guitarist will now focus on numerous projects, including two solo albums — "Population Overdrive" and "Cuckoo Clocks of Hell" — which are due this summer.
GUNS N' ROSES are scheduled to headline the Rock in Rio festival in Lisbon, Portugal, on May 30. It is unclear whether the band will have a new guitarist by then. GUNS N' ROSES' label would not comment on Buckethead's departure, according to MTV.com.
Southern California's Taken will soon be disbanding after six years together. During that time, the band has released two EPs and a full-length. According to Taken, the decision has been made as a result of band members' focus shifting from the group to other endeavors. This spring, the band will enter the studio to record a final EP, which Goodfellow Records will be releasing in July. Notably, original drummer Troy Born will be returning for the group's final EP and shows. In addition to the two following shows at Koos Cafe, Taken will play a few last shows, two in SoCal, and one in Southern Ontario.
3/21 Long Beach CA @ Koos Cafe w/ Cursed, Breather Resist, more
4/10 Long Beach CA @ Koos Cafe w/ Hot Cross, Lickgoldensky, more
Connecticut hardcore band Nientara has called it quits after three years together. However, members Nathan Adajian, Jason Leardi, and Joshua Jablonski have formed a new group called The Moor with George Richer (ex-A Thousand Falling Skies), Tom O'Hare (Invocation of Nehek) and Mike Despasqua.
3rd Strike have officially announced their disbandment. A short statement is available at www.3rdstrikeband.com. It reads simply:
"Sorry people, it's true, 3rd Strike has disbanded. Thanks to all the loyal fans for their support through the years. Keep your ears open for future projects."
Swedish thrashers THE CROWN have officially split up. The following is drummer Janne Saarenpää's statement on the matter:
"We give up. Today, the 7th of March 2004, we, the dudes of THE CROWN, have decided to call it quits.
"I'm sure every member in the band can still come up with 10 reasons for continuing and 10 reasons for giving up, but after some heavy consideration we have decided to finally find out what life is like without playing in THE CROWN.More...
ANTHRAX manager Tim Dralle has confirmed to BLABBERMOUTH.NET that bassist Frank Bello is no longer a member of ANTHRAX. The group's official statement on the matter is as follows: "Due to internal reasons, Joey Vera (ARMORED SAINT, FATES WARNING) will be temporarily handling bass playing duties for ANTHRAX on their upcoming tours of Japan and Australia." More information will be made available soon.
As previously reported, ANTHRAX will be joined by KILLSWITCH ENGAGE, and SOILWORK on their upcoming headlining tour of Japan and Australia. The dates are as follows: More...
Norwegian black metallers WINDIR have officially called it a day following the tragic death of the group's frontman Terje "Valfar" Bakken in January. The group's statement on the matter is as follows:
"The loss of our best friend and the founder of WINDIR have made these last months an extremely hard time. We have decided that WINDIR will not continue. Valfar created WINDIR, and we feel that WINDIR will not be WINDIR without him.
"After encouragement from Valfar's family, we have decided to release one last WINDIR CD. This will be a CD in honour of Valfar. It will be a 2-disc CD. The first CD will include new material, unreleased material, tribute songs from other bands and live tracks. The second CD will be a compilation of the great music made by Valfar. It will include tracks from the first demo 'Sognariket' to the last album 'Likferd'. Tabu Records will release the album in August/September 2004. We have decided that all income from this CD will go directly to Valfar's family.
"We also want to thank all friends, fans, bands, labels and magazines that have supported us in these difficult times. Information on future musical projects from WINDIR members will be announced later.
"The music of WINDIR is still alive!
"Hváll, Steingrim, Sture, Strom & Righ"
STRATOVARIUS guitarist Timo Tolkki was assaulted in the center of Granada, Spain on Sunday (Feb. 29) as he was taking a walk, Finland's Sonera Plaza is reporting. According to STRATOVARIUS keyboardist Jens Johansson, who witnessed the attack, the alleged attacker was extremely agitated and had "a Hispanic looking appearance". During the assault, the attacker shouted "Tolkki." He was armed with what seemed to be a box cutter.
Tolkki was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was admitted to emergency care. He had two stab wounds on his left arm and a facial contusion. His wounds were cleaned and bandaged and he was released from hospital care.
Anybody with any information about the attacker is being asked to contact the police.
Tolkki commented that he is "shocked and horrified" by what happened. "Apparently this guy had been stalking me. The bastard attacked me from behind," Tolkki said. "I can take anything, but that was such a cowardly act, you know. He got me with the knife twice and punched me in the face. Then he ran away. The whole thing lasted just seconds. Now I am thinking that this might be the end of my career. I do not want to end up like John Lennon. I don't know if I want to continue STRATOVARIUS anymore".
When asked if he thinks that the attack has something to do with the resent changes in STRATOVARIUS lineup and the death threats he has received, Tolkki commented: "Of course I feel there is a connection to that. Why would anybody attack me like that otherwise? What possible other motive this guy could have had than that? I think he tried to kill me, but this time I was lucky".
STRATOVARIUS performed on Saturday night as a headliner of Piorno Rock Festival in Granada, Spain.
A photo of Timo Tolkki taken on Sunday after he was treated for his wounds can be viewed here
Ozzfest's ninth incarnation kicks off July 10 in Hartford, Connecticut and will find Ozzy Osbourne sharing the main stage with Judas Priest, reunited with longtime singer Rob Halford; Slayer; Norwegian black metal sextet Dimmu Borgir; Black Label Society; and Superjoint Ritual, fronted by Pantera's Phil Anselmo. Fans voting on www.ozzfest.com helped choose the second-stage bands, which include Slipknot (headline the second stage), Hatebreed, Lamb of God, Atreyu, Bleeding Through, Lacuna Coil, Every Time I Die and Unearth. Additional artists are expected to be announced later. (UPDATE: God Forbid is also listed on the official Ozzfest site)
Twenty-six cities are scheduled for the trek, which starts on the East Coast, heads west to California, then takes the southern route back to wrap up in West Palm Beach, Florida, on September 4. Tickets go on sale February 28.
Ozzfest tour dates, according to its publicists: More...
Norway's EINHERJER have officially called it a day. The following is the group's statement on the matter:
"After 11 years, 4 albums and 2 mini-albums, we've decided to split up EINHERJER. We feel that we've made the album we wanted with 'Blot' and therefore a journey of 11 years has come to an end. We would like to thank everybody who has supported us through the years.
"For us, it is time to move on. We are definitively not retiring as musicians, so you haven't heard the last from us yet…
"Regards, Frode, Aksel & Gerhard"
Former SLAYER/SYSTEMATIC drummer Paul Bostaph has officially joined TESTAMENT. The band, whose most recent drummer, Jon Allen (SADUS), reportedly left the group over an "extremely fragile and urgent family situation" involving the health of his 11-year-old daughter, are currently rehearsing with Bostaph for their upcoming live shows in March, including scheduled appearances at Florida's Sun N' Steel Festival (March 6-7) and New Jersey's March Metal Meltdown VI (March 12-13).
TESTAMENT are continuing work on the material for the follow-up to 1999's "The Gathering" and are reportedly planning on entering the studio in April/May to begin recording the album for a late 2004 release through Spitfire Records. The band will likely premier two brand-new songs during their festival appearances next month.
Bostaph is no stranger to the TESTAMENT camp, having played several live dates with the group in 1992 and appeared on the band's 1993 live EP, "Return To The Apocalyptic City" (Megaforce/Atlantic). He subsequently spent nearly a decade in SLAYER, with whom he recorded four full-length albums (1994's "Divine Intervention", 1996's "Undisputed Attitude", 1998's "Diabolus In Musica" and 2001's "God Hates Us All") before leaving the group (for the second and final time) in December 2001.
In short, there is a [proposed] settlement in a class action lawsuit against Columbia House and BMG music clubs for fixing their regular prices at a higher rate (above even MSRP). The "settlement" entails giving current members CDs at much discounted prices (and no S&H). Here's some legalese about it and links to the settlement forms: More...
NOTHINGFACE has finally called it quits. The official press release regarding the disheartening matter is as follows:
"We regret to inform that after 10 years and 4 albums we, as a band, will no longer continue as NOTHINGFACE. We cannot begin to thank all our friends, family and most importantly our fans for their continued support through out the years.
It was a great 10-year run and we thank you all for the great memories! We could only hope that we gave you as much as you gave us.
Bill, Tom, Matt and Tommy"
Expect Matt Holt and Bill Ghaal to re-appear in the band PERFECT ENEMY.
US retailer Tower Records has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. The bankruptcy filings for Tower and its privately held parent MTS Inc comes after loss-making Tower was unable to find a suitable buyer. Tower has stated it's been unable to cope with competition from digital downloading and file copying. MTS listed more than $100m of assets and $100m of debts. The company closed its UK stores last year, but still has international outlets in the US, Asia, Latin America and Israel.
Tower opened its first store in Sacramento in 1960 and sold record albums for just $1.98. Over forty years later stiff competition from retailers such as Wal-Mart, Virgin Megastores and Best Buy, coupled with high lease costs, drove it into heavy debt.
I will not post the rest of their unfounded bullshit excuses (downloading music, etc). The real reasons are, as stated, competition - the fact that their prices were to high, coupled with the fact that they invested heavily in an online foray, which failed largely due to their high prices (and poor affiliate terms on top of it!). Tower has simply failed to change with the times and compete with the newcomers, which all face those "other issues", whatever effects they may have on business.
"A prosecutor in Poland has launched an investigation into whether a concert by the black metal band GORGOROTH has breached the country's law protecting religion. The Norwegian band are suspected of having sent a hateful and offensive message with their performance Sunday (Feb. 1) at the Krakow studios of Polish Television.
The show, which was to be filmed for an upcoming DVD, featured two naked women (with hoods over their heads) and one naked man, all of them "crucified" and covered in sheep blood, a number of sheep heads on spikes and sheep entrails thrown all over the stage, as well as approximately 80 liters of fresh sheep blood. During the performance, which was attended by an audience of 300, one of the models reportedly fainted from the lack of oxygen. The TV show's producers, who were not briefed in advance about the nature of the concert, were said to "shocked" by the activities on stage. The manager of the studio, Andrzej Jeziorek, notified the police and the recorded footage was confiscated by the authorities as evidence of a possible crime. More...
Due to Jon Schaffer's complications from back surgery, he will have to undergo additional testing throughout the European tour dates and into the US dates.
Here's straight from the official ICED EARTH site, Icedearth.com: More...
Bay Area metallers 40 GRIT, who issued two full-length albums through the Metal Blade label (2000's "Heads" and 2003's "Nothing To Remember"), have sadly decided to call it a day.
The following is the group's official statement on the matter:
"Hey all, this is a day that I was hoping would never come. Last week we have decided that 40 GRIT will no longer be a band. It's been a very fun and cool road we have been on. 40 GRIT has been doing this for 7 years and to be honest we have little to show for it except for our fans and memories. We want to thank all the fans that have been with us since the beginning and all the new fans we have made over the years. The music biz has taken a toll on all of us in the band and it makes us sick to our stomach. There is so many bands with so much talent out there that will go without notice because of the way this industry is. Well, thanks for all the support."
Even before singer Dave Mustaine spoke of a reunion recently, it wasn't hard to imagine Megadeth regrouping. After all of the recent speculation, Mustaine has posted an audio clip, complete with new music teaser and a message from Mustaine regarding the band's return. He talks about returning to the classic sound and that the only official news will come from the Megadeth site. Click here to go directly to the teaser.
BBC new reports that former JUDAS PRIEST drummer DAVID HOLLAND has been found guilty of trying to rape a teenage boy who visited his home for drum lessons.
Holland had denied the accusations Monday (January 19), saying the charges were "ridiculous." Holland said he had formed a "friendship" with the teenager, who is aged 18 but cannot be named for legal reasons, and had invited him to his house on several occasions. The drummer stressed that no sexual advances were made towards the teenager. He said he had never touched the boy's genitals or had sexual intercourse with him, and added: "I have never, ever, had sexual intercourse with another man. It is not something that interests me at all."
Meanwhile, Judas Priest was quick to post this statement online:
We are as shocked and stunned as everyone else by this news - however, we would like to point out that Scott Travis is Judas Priest's drummer and has been since 1989.
We have not see or heard from or had any contact with Dave Holland at all since we parted company with him over 15 years ago.