Paradise Lost Planning US Tour for 2006
Goth Metal pioneers PARADISE LOST's axeman, Gregor Mackintosh, recently spoke to Metal Temple magazine’s Chris Downie about various interesting issues. Among those issues were the band’s switching labels, the evolution of the band’s sound and comparisons between PARADISE LOST's older stuff and their latest releases, as well as some touring plans for next year. Here are a few excerpts from the interview:
- Metal Temple: Many long-time fans felt that the decision to move to major label EMI in 1998 was a bad one. Without wanting to start a debate on the merits of major labels, what do you think the band have learned from the overall experience?
- Mackintosh: "[Laughs] Of course it was a mistake, but it’s a mistake that no bands ever learn from. Before we signed to EMI, we used to say ’better a big fish in a small pond’ and then we went and followed suit. Majors tell you what you want to hear, but bail when the going gets tough."
- Metal Temple: In comparison, the band’s profile in the UK has dropped, despite the continued loyalty of a small hardcore fanbase. Is this still a source of frustration for you?
- Mackintosh: "It’s not the fans’ fault. I think it’s more of a media thing. There are a handful of press people in the UK, deciding what everybody should and shouldn’t like. At least in the USA, there are numerous and very varied college radio stations which are a good source for reasonably unbiased views. In most of the rest of the world, there seems to be a decent enough magazine and press network that aren’t all controlled by the same people and have enough of a sales base to make a difference."
- Metal Temple: Having signed a new distribution deal with Century Media Records, which covers the UK and US, do you have any plans to build on the success of the last US tour with Opeth and perhaps return there soon?
- Mackintosh: "I can’t wait. I thoroughly enjoyed the tour with Opeth and we have some great fans over there. From what I hear, we are already looking at a couple of tours of the US early next year."
You can read the entire interview here
Please share this article if you found it interesting.
1 Comment on "Paradise Lost Planning US Tour for 2006"
To minimize comment spam/abuse, you cannot post comments on articles over a month old. Please check the sidebar to the right or the related band pages for recent related news articles.