"some music was meant to stay underground..."

System of a Down Band Members' Plans During Hiatus Discussed

Band Photo: System Of A Down (?)

MTV.com caught up with System of a Down and talked to the band members about what they'll be doing during the band's hiatus after touring with Ozzfest. Here are some excepts:

for guitarist Daron Malakian and bassist Shavo Odadjian, it's Scars on Broadway, a fresh collective that's still very much in progress but should start working on material this fall.

"It's going to be another band that both me and Shavo are in, and we're going to try and go places we haven't with System," Malakian explained. "Each [System] bandmember has his own thing he wants to do. Shavo has films he plans on working on too. So we all have artistic itches we want to get through, and I think these are healthy ways to do it. We've been around for 12 years, so it's nice for us to break a little free and come back and hopefully appreciate [being in System] more someday. We're not putting any timelines on it.

"[Scars] are going to go into a lot of different fields that System haven't gone into," he continued. "I mean, heavy metal is an influence, but it's not the focus of System of a Down. There will be metal elements in Scars, but that's not what's going to define the music."

For Odadjian, the System vacation means returning to the studio with his good pal RZA, the mastermind behind Wu-Tang Clan. "We've been messing around in the studio, and I worked on a track that will be on the next Raekwon record, [Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 2,]" he said. "With RZA, we have become good friends, and we're in the studio together all the time. There's a collaboration with the GZA which will be coming out soon, but we're not sure when. We've been working on it the last four months and will start preproduction in Los Angeles [in the fall]".

Dolmayan plans to take his obsession with comic books online with a new Web site, TorpedoComics.com. Not only will he be selling comic books, action figures and movies via the site, he'd like to host creative seminars with some of the writers and illustrators he's loved since his childhood, as well as some of today's leading artists.

"I am a big comic-book fan and always have been," he said. "It's sort of my second passion, next to drumming. So when I discovered we were going to be taking some time off, I thought, 'What would be better [for me] to do than form this company?' I just thought it would be fun."

Like Malakian and Odadjian, System's soft-spoken, Afro-sporting frontman Tankian will be working on his own music this fall too. (He'll also be working with Fair to Midland and Slow Motion Reign, the newest additions to the roster of his label, Serjical Strike.) Tankian plans to release his solo debut in late 2007.

"I've been writing it my whole life," he said. "I'm really excited about it, and I have the same energy that I had when we were recording our first record. I have more than enough songs, but I'm also trying other methods of arrangements and tricking myself into doing things that I've never done to add to the dynamics, diversity and hopefully potency of the record itself."

And what say ye, Serj, of System's impending hiatus?

"System of a Down are always there for us, whenever we want to be there for System of a Down," he said.

What's Next?

Please share this article if you found it interesting.

You can get related band news and info in the sidebar and on the respective band pages.

20 Comments on "System of a Down's Plans During Hiatus Discussed"

Post your comments and discuss the article below! (no login required)

1. lynch_mob writes:

SOAD sucks.

# Jul 14, 2006 @ 2:53 PM ET | IP Logged Reveal posts originating from the same IP address
2. coco writes:

well they do now boy so don't go to their entire legacy.

although if dat what ye meant...............

then suck my di************************* hahahahhahahhaahhahhahahhahaha

naw yo just f***in around i mean who like mez

or is it hypnotize?

yo can soemone tell me which was da second album dat came out last year? (you know one dat sucks c***)

da one like is da one with BYOB.

# Jul 14, 2006 @ 3:30 PM ET | IP Logged Reveal posts originating from the same IP address
RememberMetal?'s avatar

Writer/Reviewer

3. RememberMetal? writes:

I dont have a whole lot to say about this.

Ok maybe I do...

I liked their first three records, and Steal! was an absolute surprise. Fantastic material on that one. The double album was hit and miss...I ended up liking the second half more.

I won't be itching for another SOAD album, I think I've had my fill for quite some time actually. I'll pick up the next one though, I bought their first album based on a song from the Strangeland soundtrack, and I was quite happy with 85% of that debut.

# Jul 14, 2006 @ 7:36 PM ET | IP Logged Reveal posts originating from the same IP address
4. KORNDOGG writes:

BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I DISLIKE THESE GUYS.
I LIKE ALL NEW METAL, BUT THIS GUYS VOICE HAS THROWN ME OFF FROM THE BEGINING, BUT INSTRUMENTALLY THEIR OK!
NEVER OWNED A RECORD.

# Jul 14, 2006 @ 8:06 PM ET | IP Logged Reveal posts originating from the same IP address
5. dark_loard writes:

Dam That Sucks I like The first Three RECORDS and i was hoping the would of made a record as heavy as they first but i guess not but. this whold sudation sucks but i hope the new bad is heavy

# Jul 14, 2006 @ 8:24 PM ET | IP Logged Reveal posts originating from the same IP address
6. -_jandra_- writes:

haaa mothersf***ersss im from argentinna-- i love tankian, and system.. really i hope see them in a concert someday..yankiss're havin good luck for stay there with them..

# Jul 14, 2006 @ 10:39 PM ET | IP Logged Reveal posts originating from the same IP address
psythe's avatar

Writer, Reviewer

7. psythe writes:

Debut and Steal! were awesome. Toxicity was ok. Other than that, System Of A Down continue to not excite me.

To be honest, Serj is probly the strongest feature they have these days. His vocals are quite distinguishing. It was great, as I said, on the s/t and Steal, but it DOES need the musical backing to carry it, and frankly, the music on the other records have been, I'm sorry to say, boring.

# Jul 16, 2006 @ 5:35 AM ET | IP Logged Reveal posts originating from the same IP address
8. Chimaera writes:

I'm afraid it is the end of ssyem of a down!!!
Hope its just nightmare!!

# Jul 16, 2006 @ 9:10 AM ET | IP Logged Reveal posts originating from the same IP address
9. vicky903 writes:

i think that they will never come back as they say but i love them and i hope to see them together again as soon as possible

# Jul 17, 2006 @ 9:35 PM ET | IP Logged Reveal posts originating from the same IP address
10. lorlor writes:

I love them, no other band sounds anything like them which is why I like them so much. Steal is for sure their best, and Mesmerize was pretty good.. I just saw them at Ozzfest, and they didn't sound very good. Last year they sounded great when they came with Mars Volta. I hope they get back together and keep making more music! long live Polka Rock! LOL

# Jul 17, 2006 @ 10:56 PM ET | IP Logged Reveal posts originating from the same IP address
deathbringer's avatar

Founder, owner & programmer

11. deathbringer writes:

lorlor, I'm working up a review of a band who sounds quite a bit like them actually, for better or worse. ou can be sure if a band is successful, there will be someone out there to try to copy their style no matter how bizarre it is.

# Jul 18, 2006 @ 2:28 AM ET | IP Logged Reveal posts originating from the same IP address
12. Rick writes:

They is the best band of all time and I am really sad that they are not making music. I think every song that they ever made awesome in some way. they will be missed by me at least.

# Jul 19, 2006 @ 2:36 AM ET | IP Logged Reveal posts originating from the same IP address
13. lorlor writes:

deathbringer - that is just really sad that anyone would attempt to copy SOAD. I mean, how can you copy them anyway? You never know what to expect. A song starts, and by the end of the song, it's completely different! Fast, slow, screaming, fast, faster, slow again.. then ends with a bang! I love it! Viva la Polka Rock!

# Jul 20, 2006 @ 12:11 AM ET | IP Logged Reveal posts originating from the same IP address
14. lorlor writes:

BTW Deathbringer, what is the name of that other band?

# Jul 20, 2006 @ 12:13 AM ET | IP Logged Reveal posts originating from the same IP address
that_one_guy_42's avatar

Member

15. that_one_guy_42 writes:

toxicity was the best album, then there debut and Steal, then hypnotize was pretty good, but i didnt like mezmerize very much. too much Malakian vocals on that one.

# Jul 20, 2006 @ 12:17 PM ET | IP Logged Reveal posts originating from the same IP address
16. lorlor writes:

Ok, AL BUNDY needs to stop posting as COCO. Loser.

I love Mesmerize. I really like the vocals on that one. :)

# Jul 20, 2006 @ 3:37 PM ET | IP Logged Reveal posts originating from the same IP address
17. wwwben writes:

I like all of SOAD songs!!! all of them.. and i am looking forward to seing what they will do on their own in the future

# Jul 20, 2006 @ 7:33 PM ET | IP Logged Reveal posts originating from the same IP address
18. lorlor writes:

Me too wwwben! I love them. They never disappoint

# Jul 23, 2006 @ 2:19 AM ET | IP Logged Reveal posts originating from the same IP address
19. Angelfa writes:

If they're going to come back to start making good music again, then it would make me more than happy. But please, make them stop producing ****... Except for 2-3 songs, I have been very disappointed by Mezmerize, and I don't even want to listen to Hypnotize... I've heard one song and it's already too much... Maybe taking a break is what they need, I don't know...

# Jul 28, 2006 @ 1:50 AM ET | IP Logged Reveal posts originating from the same IP address
20. Tatiana Nord Ericsson Lindblom writes:

God save the SOAD!!!Love'm love'm love'm!!!saw them on Ozzfest yesterday- PERFECT!Guys, they rule:)

# Aug 5, 2006 @ 2:06 PM ET | IP Logged Reveal posts originating from the same IP address

To minimize comment spam/abuse, you cannot post comments on articles over a month old. Please check the sidebar to the right or the related band pages for recent related news articles.