"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Starting a metal band

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> Starting a metal band

Displaying 19 posts
Displaying 19 posts
Jun 20, 2010 12:08 AM ET #1 (permalink)

Okay so I'm starting this Thrash / New Wave Of Canadian Metal band I think I need some pointers, like WHERE THE FUCK DO I FIND A SINGER!! Its fucking retarded! its all mediocre bullshit by pussy little kids!! like seriously!! I'm going to have to start taking vocal lessons so i can show up all the bullshitters. But seriously, other than that problem i got some good members in the band. So what kind of song writing methods do you guys use? I don't want to copy any other bands like the big four or anything i want some Real Thrash Metal riffs and vocals about the apocalypse. So where do you start?

Jun 20, 2010 12:27 AM ET #2 (permalink)

Alright first off, you don't need any vocal training. Since when did Paul Baloff have any vocal training, man? And as for the songwriting, what our band (Foreskin) does is that my guitarist fools around with the guitar, keeps sending me riffs and shit (we dont have a full line up or equipment to have a complete proper jam xD, we had one yesterday with just bass and drums hahhaha). And I'm like yeah I want this and this type of ideas. I write the lyrics so I want the songs to be just as i visualize them and shit. He keeps sending me riffs, and when we meet up on Sundays we talk about how to piece those riffs and ideas together and what type of drums and shit would go welll with it and the song structure just comes naturally. Like our song Drink to the Metal starts out very old school - Deep Purple and ACDCish but after the second chorus we decided to have this crazy freejam mode where the drums are all jazzy and the bassline is funky as fuck and the guitars are just wild and shit you know. And that came naturally, it was just the flow of the (bass :P) riffs and the drumlines that it clicked. And when we tried that shit out with a guitar AND bass, it was just as awesome. So yeah, don't force nothing - thats the problem with most retrothrash these days. Just let your ideas out in a coherent manner.

Jun 20, 2010 6:10 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Nekromaniac - That's a real interesting way to go by it.
But hey if it works for you , then thats fucking awesome!

The way my band does it (An Athair) is I start off with a guitar riff that we will jam out for 4 or 6 bars before we add another riff, But we get it perfect the way we want it and then add more to the song.

I find that if you listen to certain bands and write down the stucture of the song on a pad , then take it to jam. You will definatley find that easier. Even when you are writing the songs yourself.

Myself , I personally listen to alot of the Beatles or older style music. I think in the 60's , 70's and early 80's have better song qualities.
It's all personally preference , and you will find that you'll get into a routine that you won't have to follow these steps anymore. It realistically becomes second nature.

Everyone is different, as pointed out before. But I find that this helped alot when my band first started out.
I think in order to make good music that isn't to repetitive is follow these easy steps then pan it out once you don't need the pad to reference off.

Hope this helps bro.

(This post was last edited on June 20, 2010 at 6:15 PM ET.)

Jun 21, 2010 4:02 AM ET #4 (permalink)

most important thing though is to find a way that suits your situation with the band and shit. Like, Varg wouldn't be making songs the same way as a full 4 or 5 piece band back in the day and shit, haha.

Jun 21, 2010 5:54 PM ET #5 (permalink)

I know what ya mean man.

I think all in all your style developes either way.
I'm just saying the way my band did it ,Was we just looked at our favourite bands and just seen how the songs go.

Really helped me, concidering i'd never been in a band before.
Cool thread man.

I'd like to hear what others do also in order to let the music work.

Jun 21, 2010 6:04 PM ET #6 (permalink)

The way I've always approached song writing is to do the lyrics first, then I'd take them to my guitarist so he could get an idea of the feel of the song. I wrote some of the bass stuff in my old band too and we'd find a way to work into a song or base a song around it but for the most part when it came to music, the guitarist wrote the bulk of it. I want to get him involved in my current band as we have no guitarist and we worked brilliantly together. I finished the lyrics for my new band yesterday and I've just started writing the bass for it.

I don't know who else here writes lyrics but personally when I write them, I almost always have to finish them in one go because if I go back to them anytime after the night I started then I've lost the mindset and can't contribute fully.

Jun 21, 2010 6:13 PM ET #7 (permalink)

OZ- I had the same problem when I tried to write them.

I leave all the lyrics to the singer, which he writes to the music.
I think both ways are a good way to work.

I'd love to hear your stuff tho man , Do you have anything to listen to at the moment?
Even of the old band?

Cheers Mate.

Jun 21, 2010 6:24 PM ET #8 (permalink)

The old band Poderosa has a Myspace with some tracks on it. I think the address is www.myspace.com/poderosametal. Be gentle as the songs were recorded years ago before I had any idea about breathing techniques or anything lol. The current band Diazepam also has a Myspace but we haven't recorded anything yet. If you want to check it out for the fun of it though then go to www.myspace.com/diazepamuk

Jun 21, 2010 10:15 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Nice band Poderosa, you guys are good hoping to see you around the underground some more. Waiting to hear some Diazepamuk, Anyways i cant help but wonder how you guys got such awesome band names!

Jun 21, 2010 10:37 PM ET #10 (permalink)

Cheers OZ.

Ill check it out tonight when I finish work.

Feel free to check out my band www.myspace.com/anathair
I play the guitars for this band.
Constructive or negative feedback is all good.

Jun 22, 2010 5:20 AM ET #11 (permalink)

Thanks Pscierio. Unfortunately Poderosa is finished now which is why I'm doing Diazepam. We got the name Poderosa when I was reading a book on Che Guevera. "La Poderosa II" was the name of his motorcycle that he travelled around South America on and the word Poderosa translates as "The mighty one." I chose the name Diazepam because it's a tranquiliser that I used to take alot and in some cases it completely fucks you up lol. Thanks for the feedback though!

Trendkill: I'm listening to your band now, it's good stuff mate! The only thing I'd say is that the recording quality isn't great but I imagine these are only rough demos to demonstrate what the band can do? Either way, I like it alot! Keep up the good work fella!

Jun 22, 2010 1:53 PM ET #12 (permalink)

I write the same way Oz does sometimes and other times I write to what the guys lay down. The latter is harder obviously, but i've had some good tunes come out of it. As far as finding a good front man... Good luck with that. Most of us that are any good are complete fucking assholes. Like myself for example. lol.

Jun 22, 2010 3:34 PM ET #13 (permalink)

Thanks guys, your actually so helpful ill try to post a link to my bands myspace once we write some songs

Jun 22, 2010 3:55 PM ET #14 (permalink)

Check out Blindgreed1 at Myspaz. Wordz and Consequences were both written first and then the guys built up around it. The Wreck and Medicine Man were written after the music was already done.

Jun 22, 2010 5:34 PM ET #15 (permalink)

Cheers OZ!

I listened to your stuff.
I really dig the sound man, A really unique sound, I can't wait to hear the new band man.

Yeah, Those recordings were only done with 5 1/2 hours .With the singer only doing a home recording on a cheap prac mic.
We are recording a 10 song demo at the end of the year and then gigging the shit out of it.

The second song on myspace is dodgy because the mixing desk scrapped half the drums , note why its really repetitive.

BG - I love your shit man, I love the Tool vibe.
I think it offers more then Tool tho. It's got the feel to it where I'd listen to it even if it took a huge twist to the music.
I love it man.

I don't know if you have heard the band Sydonia?
My girlfirend and a few of my friends know they guys.
You should definatley check them out.

Jun 22, 2010 6:23 PM ET #16 (permalink)

Lol, were often described as Tool Meets Master of Puppets era Metallica. I can live with that.

Jun 22, 2010 6:29 PM ET #17 (permalink)

Haha , Makes sense.

Blind Greed should tour Aus , and just live in my house for 3 weeks haha.

Jun 22, 2010 7:06 PM ET #18 (permalink)

I wouldn't pass up the opportunity. I've heard from friends that you folks know how to show some hospitality.

Jun 22, 2010 7:27 PM ET #19 (permalink)

Beer , BBQ and Metal man. That's all you need.

And maybe a bed to sleep on, Only maybe tho haha.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum