"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

any metal drummers?

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> any metal drummers?

Displaying 18 posts
Displaying 18 posts
Jun 8, 2010 8:53 AM ET #1 (permalink)

im going to buy a drum set. yes im a beginner....any advice on what brand i should get?

Jul 29, 2010 1:08 PM ET #2 (permalink)

well just beggining your ooptions are endless. you could try anything that you like. what kind of music do you play when you say metal. but i mean pearl is good but dw is where its at

Aug 16, 2010 7:56 AM ET #3 (permalink)

My first set was a Pulse set, haha. Now i'm playing a ludwig element 6 piece set :D .
It all depends on how much money you have and how much you're willing to spend. Don't spend all your money on a nice kit if you're not going to have enough money for cymbal stands and a cymbal pack, because they aren't always included in the purchase of the shell pack

Oct 10, 2010 1:15 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Mapex allways have good drums no mater the price but sabian do good cheap cybals

Oct 10, 2010 8:54 PM ET #5 (permalink)

I have recently bought an 8 piece set from a new company called Sound Percussion. All of the people who reviewed it loved it, and it was on sale for $529, originally $1199. I bought it and though its not amazing, I was really impressed. Its very durable and has a cool sound. And for cymbals I would go with zildjian. They make great cymbals for a relatively low price.

Oct 12, 2010 10:58 AM ET #6 (permalink)

I would have to disagree with the Zildjians statement. The good zildjian cymbals are very expensive. That goes for Meinl and Paiste as well.

I have a Sabian AA series 17 inch crash and a Sabian 10 inch splash and they both sound phenomenal. I only paid 125$ for the AA crash, and only 45$ for the splash. Both are huge assets to my set and my playing.

If you have the money(and you're going to need a lot of it) and you were going to buy the most expensive cymbals, I'd go for Meinl Byzance series. They have the best sound but they're soooo expensive.

Sabian would be my choice because for their price, they still sound so damn good.

Oct 13, 2010 6:25 PM ET #7 (permalink)

I bought a zildjian pack of cymbals, with 2 crashes, 1 ride, and the 2 for the hi-hat and it was $229. I wouldn't call that expensive. They are great quality too, they sound good and are very durable.

Oct 13, 2010 8:42 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Wait for Metalhead101 to chime in.

Oct 14, 2010 12:00 AM ET #9 (permalink)

A good triangle is obviously highly essential.

Oct 14, 2010 1:33 AM ET #10 (permalink)

Perfect Insanity were they used or did they come in a pack? I'm assuming they were not ZBT's :P
If they did come in a pack, I'd like a link if you would be so kind :)

I was considering upgrading to Meinl MCS or Sabian AA series eventually when I have enough bills to rub together. I'm personally not terribly fond of Paiste although their rock chinas sound absolutely amazing.

Oct 14, 2010 7:07 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Actually they were not used, I bought them from guitar center. They are also ZBT's. It says ZBT right on them.

Oct 14, 2010 10:52 PM ET #12 (permalink)

omg lol
Link! I can't believe this lol it seems so unreal that all of that would come for just 200$. I have to see it for myself.

Oct 14, 2010 11:06 PM ET #13 (permalink)

^ Haha, Classic!

Oct 14, 2010 11:32 PM ET #14 (permalink)

I know I sounded lame haha. To be honest, ZBT's are good for their price and they sound very good but I want cymbals that will last me for a while. I've heard that after like 4 years ZBT's start to sound higher pitched. You can get a Sabian B8 set or something along those lines for along the same price, but I'd definately choose the ZBT's if I had to pick.

Now Sabian AA series...that's a different story...

Oct 15, 2010 5:23 AM ET #15 (permalink)

i use pots and panns in my kitchen cheap and they sound like balzack metal

Oct 15, 2010 6:11 AM ET #16 (permalink)

^Black Metal?

Oct 15, 2010 10:38 AM ET #17 (permalink)

Trve kvlt black metal bands use blocks of wood for a drumset and sticks from trees for drumsticks. Go to youtube and search "The 10 Most Rediculous Black metal videos" and you'll see the most hilarious black metal videos ever. They simply try too hard.

Oct 20, 2010 10:38 PM ET #18 (permalink)

If you're just starting, you'd probably just want a starter kit. Anything more is just a bit too much, and too pricey. I honestly still have(after 4 years of playing) my percussion plus starter kit(I bought it from my friend for $200. best deal I ever made, but it's still not that expensive of a kit). it's a snare(he upgraded it), two rack toms, one floor tom, and a bass drum. You get a hi-hat, crash, and ride. It's easy to swap cymbals and drums after a while, and if you decide you want to play more, though.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum