"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Thrash Songs?

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> Thrash Songs?

Displaying 15 posts
Displaying 15 posts
May 31, 2010 8:10 AM ET #1 (permalink)

I've mainly been playing metalcore songs, as they are easy, but now I'm looking for some good thrash songs to play guitar, with both lead and rhythm (though not essential), and a good solo. However, it can't be too hard because I've only been playing a month.

For reference to difficulty: I just finished learning Raining Blood by Slayer and I can play the riff of Cowboys from Hell by Pantera (still working on the solo).

May 31, 2010 4:30 PM ET #2 (permalink)

If you've only been playing for a month, why are you so concerned about playing solos? That Cowboys solo's gonna take you a while, thats for damn sure!!!

Myself, I learned to play guitar by playing along to Kill 'Em All, dunno if you're a Metallica fan or anything but that album's got some good simple thrash riffs that are good for beginners so........................ yeah.

May 31, 2010 7:56 PM ET #3 (permalink)

TIM - Try playing some Throwdown.
The 2 latest cds. Not that generic hardcore crap.

The riffs are fun to jam along to and the solo's are as basic as 2 minute noodles.
Once you get that down , try some Lamb of god.

Mark Mortons solo's arn't too hard.
You could always learn the Minor Penatonic Scales in different keys.
Kind of his style of playing.

Hope this helps man.

Jun 1, 2010 1:40 AM ET #4 (permalink)

Yeah I learnt the Minor Pentatonic Scales, they aren't too difficult.

I'll try out Throwdown, and Kill 'Em All.

Jun 1, 2010 2:33 AM ET #5 (permalink)

I could even suggest some Corrosion Of Conformity or Down.

Blues style solo's with some slow manageable riffs.
I know its not really thrash, but if you break it apart you can control your timing and riff knowledge.
You could play thrash your whole life with out mixing it up.
but to mix it up you develope a different sort of style and approach to the music you create.

Jun 7, 2010 7:46 AM ET #6 (permalink)

Well I learnt some Throwdown, the whole "Seek and Destroy" and "The Trooper"

The Trooper's solo was pretty challenging, but I got it down. Now, could you recommend any classic metal songs with a solo in the difficulty range of The Tropper?

Jun 7, 2010 7:30 PM ET #7 (permalink)

^I'd stick with Maiden actually, try Aces High, that's song has some awesome riffs, good harmonies and a kick ass solo that should be in the difficulty range of the Trooper so I'd go for that one.

Jun 7, 2010 9:09 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Yeah I actually considered doing that or Run To The Hills, but I wanted to do something else. I'll probably do that another time, though, I really love Aces High.

I was considering the Stairway To Heaven solo. It's beautiful and do-able. (KINDA LIKE YOUR MOM)

(This post was last edited on June 7, 2010 at 9:09 PM ET.)

Jun 7, 2010 9:50 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Seems like your doing pretty good man,

I remember when I first started playing , I learn't Nothing else matters by Metallica.

Painkiller by Judas Priest is a bit of a challenge.
I'd give it a shot tho.

Jun 8, 2010 12:08 AM ET #10 (permalink)

Thanks TK. I actually don't like playing Metallica too much. I love their old stuff, but I find the riffs too easy for the most part and then the solos are too hard. I'll check out the tabs for Nothing Else Matters, though. It's a great song.

Also, I learnt Aces High. I got everything down, just that solo is not quite up to speed yet. I found The Trooper solo much much harder. It took me like a week and a half to get.

EDIT: Checked out Painkiller. I could play it all, but that solo is too insane.

(This post was last edited on June 8, 2010 at 1:13 AM ET.)

Jun 10, 2010 4:30 AM ET #11 (permalink)

All good mate.

Best of luck!

Jun 21, 2010 10:24 PM ET #12 (permalink)

true, if your just starting out try metallica...later on your going to hate them as much as you possibly can but they're good for beginners but after a bit you grow out of them

Jul 26, 2010 8:40 PM ET #13 (permalink)

Here's some good songs to start playing (all by metallica) : Enter Sandman, No remorse, For whom the bell tolls, Damage Inc, Hit the lights and jump in the fire.
These are all great to start, If you want to learn a solo and be able to play it decently, try the solo from nothing else matters (You will feel like a big boy :p). That's how I started playing.

Jul 26, 2010 8:46 PM ET #14 (permalink)

Ha, funny - the first real solo I learnt was from "Nothing Else Matters" too.

Jul 26, 2010 9:25 PM ET #15 (permalink)

That makes 3 of us them haha.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum