"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Death Growls

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> Death Growls

Displaying 17 posts
Displaying 17 posts
May 31, 2010 12:55 AM ET #1 (permalink)

I've been meaning to learn how to do harsh death metal vocals for a while now, but I'm not sure to start and I really don't want to mess up my throat learning how. Does anyone here know how to do harsh vocals right?

EDIT: I don't know if this helps any, but my goal is to be able to growl like Johan Hegg of Amon Amarth.

(This post was last edited on May 31, 2010 at 1:02 AM ET.)

Jun 7, 2010 7:44 AM ET #2 (permalink)

Youtube is full of videos describing how. Check out "austin29023" or something like that. His videos are good. The main thing is:
-use your diaphragm for breathing
-scream when you exhale
-keep your mouth in an "O" shape for low growls, open for high growls
-if it's hurting you, you're doing it wrong.

Jun 7, 2010 1:29 PM ET #3 (permalink)

I just think it's good to know that at first your growl will be quiet but will get louder as you develop the right technique and throat muscles necessary. Don't strain your vocals trying to growl really loudly at first.

(This post was last edited on June 7, 2010 at 1:29 PM ET.)

Jun 7, 2010 5:03 PM ET #4 (permalink)

There's a DVD called The Zen of Screaming by a woman named Melissa Cross. She's a professional when it comes to the three different forms of screaming. The DVD will teach you how to do it safely and it also features many vocalists whom she has taught.

Here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spZWQwxNKHg

(This post was last edited on June 7, 2010 at 5:04 PM ET.)

Jun 8, 2010 12:49 AM ET #5 (permalink)

^the melissa cross thing would be better if you were going for screaming instead of growls. The only non metalcore singers shes worked with are randy blythe and angela gossow, and as respectable as they are at what they do, they dont sound anything close to johans guttural death growl. It would send you down the wrong and more difficult path to where you wanna go. it would be like trying to learn to sound like elvis by singing along to dio. Not really where you wanna aim for unless youre taking general tips on breathing and vocal cord care and usage ,but def not soundwise

Jun 8, 2010 12:55 AM ET #6 (permalink)

She just tells you to hum over a pencil, and learn to force the sound over the pencil. Once you can do that, keep practicing. Then she brings those guys in and they scream like crazy, and you are left wondering "how the fuck does it go from humming to THAT???"

Jun 8, 2010 1:07 AM ET #7 (permalink)

You don't always have to be loud though. Mikael Akerfelt doesn't growl particularly loud. He has also said his clean singing is harder on him than his growling.

Jun 10, 2010 10:31 AM ET #8 (permalink)

ok, thanks you all!

Jun 14, 2010 3:57 PM ET #9 (permalink)

one question: how much of your throat do you need to growl correctly? i've been trying to use as little throat as possible, but i haven't gotten very good results... should i be using more?

Jun 14, 2010 10:47 PM ET #10 (permalink)

I think you need your throat just like you need it for talking.

All singing should really come from the Diaphragm , Although I think you need the throat to have a voice.

Corey taylor from Slipknot blew out his voice for scream, chewed the shit out of this throat.
I'd suggest The Zen Of Screaming dvd like Hollow said, as it pretty much bases everything your looking for.
I am no singer or never attempt it but I think your doing the right thing in learning before destroying your throat.

Jun 21, 2010 2:51 PM ET #11 (permalink)

I'm a little late to the party, but Ann Church is probably better than Cross for growling AND screaming AND clean vocal used in unison. However, she comes at a very high price. I started before any of this was popular so I wound up teaching myself. I started with a Tibetan Monk CD my mom gave me and slowly worked it into my repetoire.

Jun 24, 2010 5:32 AM ET #12 (permalink)

This is a wonderful opinion. The things mentioned are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone. I appreciate the concern which is been rose. The things need to be sorted out because it is about the individual but it can be with everyone.
=====================================
Mens Health Blog

Jun 25, 2010 12:01 PM ET #13 (permalink)

^^^Thanks for that? WTF?

Jun 26, 2010 2:43 PM ET #14 (permalink)

Haha. Lol at bg1.

Jul 5, 2010 9:17 AM ET #15 (permalink)

I've been wanting to learn death growls just to see if I could do it, and I thought this thread would be of use... then I saw that Men's Health post in here, and seriously... wow lol. Iron Man, I'll check out that austin29023 channel.

Dec 11, 2012 12:22 PM ET #16 (permalink)

I have a perfect voice for thrash metal. been trying to get my own black metal growl voice.
And it always hurt....

Dec 11, 2012 12:22 PM ET #17 (permalink)

I have a perfect voice for thrash metal. been trying to get my own black metal growl voice.
And it always hurts....

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum