"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Sunday Old School

Posted in: Forum Home >> Bugs Reports, Suggestions, and Feedback >> Sunday Old School

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 28 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 28 1 2 Last
May 27, 2010 11:23 AM ET #1 (permalink)

I love the SOS column, and have every single article bookmarked ready for me to read.

Anybody else love it?

May 27, 2010 5:21 PM ET #2 (permalink)

I'm preparing one soon that underground fans will enjoy... but even so I think it's a great column no matter who it's covering. There are too many hidden gems in this world and MU is dedicated to uncovering them for you all.

May 27, 2010 6:30 PM ET #3 (permalink)

I want more more more more more more.
Ish good stuff.

May 27, 2010 9:14 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Glad you guys enjoy them. I enjoy reading them myself! And rest assured that I do plan to work on the archives for all this stuff. There's only so much time to go around though!

May 28, 2010 2:02 AM ET #5 (permalink)

Wow, I read them all. In one night. Great stuff. My eyes hurt.

But, none of the video feeds on ANY of the articles work. They just turn up as a white box.

Cynic: When will that column be up?

(This post was last edited on May 28, 2010 at 2:02 AM ET.)

May 28, 2010 8:27 AM ET #6 (permalink)

The videos should work. They are all flash-based, so perhaps you have something wrong with your browser or dont' have flash installed? (or are using an iphone)?

May 29, 2010 7:37 AM ET #7 (permalink)

I downloaded Flash, it works fine now. Thanks.

May 30, 2010 11:05 AM ET #8 (permalink)

New one's up. I think Wilco will be very happy with this weeks choice!

May 30, 2010 11:25 AM ET #9 (permalink)

Well done Oz. I have got a whole lot of albums because of SOS. I got a few of Kyuss, Judas Priests' "British Steel", Mercyful Fate (a lot of albums).

May 30, 2010 11:30 AM ET #10 (permalink)

Nice one mate, glad I can help you find some new music!

May 30, 2010 12:01 PM ET #11 (permalink)

No problem. However, my finances are taking a serious hit. Considering robbing my school. I got Venom as well, can't believe I forgot that. I love them.

Jun 6, 2010 7:22 AM ET #12 (permalink)

I think Sunday Old School is the best thing that MU can do during a time when older classics are in danger of being pushed out as newer bands move into the spotlight.

How about do a special on one of the old school death metal bands? Obituary or Dismember, maybe? :D

Jun 6, 2010 8:41 AM ET #13 (permalink)

Maybe Death?

Jun 6, 2010 8:49 AM ET #14 (permalink)

Death's pretty well known I'd say. At least compared to some of the others in SOS - Saxon and Mercyful Fate.

Jun 6, 2010 9:05 AM ET #15 (permalink)

But if you want to focus on old-school Death Metal, you need to talk about Death. I had never heard of them until recently, when I was doing research on Death metal. They aren't as well known as you'd think.

Jun 6, 2010 10:15 AM ET #16 (permalink)

See, that's the thing right there. Everyone who starts listening to DeathMetal always goes to Death first. Either that or one of the new deathcore or tech/brutal death bands. Whereas you dont see people who're exploring traditional metal to go to Saxon and Mercyful Fate first, you expect them to go to Maiden and Priest. Though Saxon's 2007 album with that Need For Speed song (forgot the name of the album... DANG!) was one of the first 3 metal CD's I bought.. But then again my metal introduction was different from most other people as a whole. One of the first DM I heard was Lykathea Aflame, Krabathor and Ripping Corpse :/

(This post was last edited on June 6, 2010 at 10:16 AM ET.)

Jun 6, 2010 10:21 AM ET #17 (permalink)

Well, I've only heard one Death song and I don't even know what it was called. And I only just recently started listening to Priest, although I've been listening to Mercyful Fate for a lot longer.

Jun 6, 2010 10:30 AM ET #18 (permalink)

Well I was talking about the general metal populace anyway. Exceptions abound.

Jun 6, 2010 10:59 AM ET #19 (permalink)

Alright, good point. I admit to defeat.

Jun 6, 2010 11:48 AM ET #20 (permalink)

Well, lets be proud of being exceptions! :D

Jun 6, 2010 3:46 PM ET #21 (permalink)

We did a SOS on Death in December and I've been planning ones on Obituary, Deicide and Morbid Angel for awhile. I'll probably do a Cannibal Corpse one at some point too.

Jun 7, 2010 5:02 AM ET #22 (permalink)

I wrote half one on Obituary a long time ago based on one incredible live vid. Let me know Oz and I'll send you the link. Also I've got one written for black metal fans this week...

Jun 7, 2010 3:35 PM ET #23 (permalink)

I would love to see something on Running Wild someday. They were singing about pirates long before other bands started using that as a gimmick, and weren't retarded enough to base their entire image or lyrical subject matter around that. Oh yeah, and the music kicks ass. Just great classic heavy metal.

Jun 7, 2010 7:50 PM ET #24 (permalink)

So are you doing this weeks edition then Cynic?

Jun 7, 2010 8:29 PM ET #25 (permalink)

I was going to email you Oz - yep, if that's ok.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Bugs Reports, Suggestions, and Feedback forum