"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Quality Horror Movies

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> Quality Horror Movies

Displaying posts 126 - 150 of 290 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 Last
Displaying posts 126 - 150 of 290 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 Last
Oct 23, 2009 6:55 PM ET #126 (permalink)

Gonna watch The Mark of the Vampire and The Mask of Fu Manchu :)

Oct 23, 2009 8:02 PM ET #127 (permalink)

Mark of the Vampire was awesome! I did not expect the ending AT ALL! Soooo very good.

Oct 30, 2009 9:52 PM ET #128 (permalink)

Anyone ever see the movie 'Bug'? Yeah... it lost me at the end. Decent flick if you can stand a slow beginning, and having none of your questions answered till the last 5 minutes.(No, J.J. Abrams didn't have anything to do with it)

Nov 3, 2009 2:05 PM ET #129 (permalink)

I saw Zombieland on Sunday- by far best movie of the year!

Nov 4, 2009 10:37 AM ET #130 (permalink)

zombieland was great fun but not horror. paranormal activity is probably the worse movie i ever saw. i just watched the horsemen and the orphan both quite good and worth the time. especialy the horesemen.

Nov 4, 2009 11:02 AM ET #131 (permalink)

Agent- I disagree. that Zombie land would not be considered horror. I wouldn't go to the romantic comedy section to rent it. If anything, I think what made it so great was it is probably classified (if you have to do that) as horror/action/dark comedy.

Nov 4, 2009 11:17 AM ET #132 (permalink)

I guess Agent isn't familiarized with horror comedy. That's some of the best stuff. I think the old Texas Chainsaw Massacre films and Beetlejuice were in this category. So, if you've seen those, you've got some idea of what the genre is. Personally my kind of horror is stuff like slasher flicks and the old black and white movies. The latter can be unintentionally hilarious. Considering what I know of Rob Zombie (which isn't much), I'd think he'd be the type to create a horror comedy but I have not seen Zombieland yet for myself so I will have to wait and see.

Nov 4, 2009 11:44 AM ET #133 (permalink)

Inferno- Hey, what's up? Nice Beetlejuice reference, that was my favorite movie as a kid. That and the original Transformers. When I was five I insisted on being Beetlejuice for Halloween. Best costume I ever had!

Nov 4, 2009 12:09 PM ET #134 (permalink)

Not much here, just sitting in a big yellow room with some guy I just met lol. We're waiting for some people so we can get our green group meeting started. They're late. :/ pfft. And my literacy tutor training is on Friday... and I have who knows how many pages of stuff to memorize for the next psych test, social psych test and math, and... and... yea I'm busy lol. And how are you, Bru-Hock (I made up that nickname because it sounds like a Native name if you pronounce it out loud :P)?

Nov 4, 2009 12:20 PM ET #135 (permalink)

i never considered dark comedy or comedy as horror. horror is not supposed to be humorous. zombieland was total dark comedy but still total comedy. you will not find it in the horror section of your rental store. i am not saying anything against zombieland i loved it, it was great but it is not horror. there was nothing scary, shocking or serious about it. it was just great fun. and it was awesome hearing some old school metallica in a movie!
yeah dark comedy and horror are definitely not in the same category. dark comedy goes in the comedy section.

(This post was last edited on November 4, 2009 at 12:25 PM ET.)

Nov 4, 2009 12:46 PM ET #136 (permalink)

There are too many movies out right now that I want to see. Unfortunately I am financially embarrased at the moment.

Agent: So what would you consider Evil Dead and Army of Darkness (or anything by Bruce Campbell for that matter)? Just curious?

Nov 4, 2009 1:23 PM ET #137 (permalink)

i am embarrased to say i wave not had the opportunity to see evil dead- i know shoot me! i hear they are different than army of darkness. that is def a dark comedy so it is comedy. i mean do you ever sit down and say lets watch this funy horror flick or this hilarious scary movie? no. some horror def has some laughs in the mfrom time to time, especialy if you have a sadistic point of vierw which i tend to have sometiems. but if you spend most of the film laughing that is not horror!! very bad things is a comedy not a slasher film. you will find it in the comedy section. you spend most of the film laughing than you do going holy shit!

Nov 4, 2009 1:28 PM ET #138 (permalink)

has anyone seen paranormal activity? this is the most popular film out there right now. but the general masses never cease to amaze me with their view. after all there are more stupid people in the world than smart people so it makes sense. i saw the pirated copy and it has a different ending that the one in the theatre. from what i hear the one in the theatre is even cheesier but over all i think this was the worse movie ever. but again it is very popular with the masses so not many share my opinion.

Nov 4, 2009 2:19 PM ET #139 (permalink)

Inferno- Damn girl you sound bez-ay! I am doing pretty well, just feelin' older (not in a good way). Bru-Hock...I love it, LOL!

Agent- We are going to have to agree to disagree. I have never really been one for labels in anything- sic/movie, etc- but all I know is Zombieland = movie of the year! Didn't see Paranormal Activity, and since I just saw a movie I won't see another one for months, hahaha.

Blindgreed- I just watched Army of Darkness on Halloween. I love that movie, especially in the ending in hte grocery store. On Sunday it was a toss-up between ZL and Halloween 2 and I ended up seing Zombieland and I am glad I did. Pretty much the deciding factor was Woody Harrelson, who is one of my favorite actors going all the way back to Cheers.

Nov 4, 2009 2:21 PM ET #140 (permalink)

Hey Inferno I was thinking.....Bru-Hock could also be Brew-Hawk, hahaha.

Nov 4, 2009 2:27 PM ET #141 (permalink)

bruno how can you say zombieland was scary? it was not even considered a thriller. well whatever your opnion on it about it being scary or funny is, it is a comedy and that is fact not opinion. it will be in the comedy section of your store when you go to buy it. woody was the selling point for me to go see it also. he is fucking awesome.

Nov 4, 2009 3:25 PM ET #142 (permalink)

Brew-Hawk was actually how I was thinking of it phonetically, but I decided to just stay with the letters that formed the short form of the name.

Nov 4, 2009 3:29 PM ET #143 (permalink)

zombieland was actualy written as a tv series to begin with and when it got dropped the writers made the first two episodes the movie. they would like to make twelve movies equaling 24 tv shows. this was never written to be a hooror film :-)
one can actualy see that once they know this and go watch the film. it kind of flows like a tv show. but that does not take away from what a great ride it is.
you guys may not agree but i cannot see how one can call something horror when it is nothing but funny. WTF?

(This post was last edited on November 4, 2009 at 3:46 PM ET.)

Nov 4, 2009 4:06 PM ET #144 (permalink)

Agent47- Technically when I buy it I will find it in the new release section, since I will be a first day buyer :)
I don't classify horror films based on whether or not I am scared of them. The only scenes that scare/gross me out are rape scenes, like in the original Last House on the Left or Deliverance. I could see if Woody Harrellson had taken a dead zombie into the mountains, rented a cabin and took him water skying ala Weekend at Bernie's then for sure, no horror whatsoever but that wasn't the case.
I myself find Ms Doubtfire terrifying but no one seems to consider it horror. It is all subjective.
Regardless, Zombieland= movie of the year (any and all genres)!

Nov 4, 2009 4:12 PM ET #145 (permalink)

skying=skiing

Nov 4, 2009 4:27 PM ET #146 (permalink)

i agree with you on that statement. i myself dont get scared of movies but that old lady in the happening kind of creeped me out. she was a vicous ol bag that could be any ol lady. i just thought of horror movies on a more serious note and if i or more specificly the general public laugh through majority of the movie then it should be comedy.
i thought that cameo was pure genius wasnt it? i too look forward to buying ti the day it is released.
another great movie this year i thought was district 9 but most people dont seem to like it.

Nov 4, 2009 4:36 PM ET #147 (permalink)

Right on Agent we are basically on the same page. I didn't see District 9, but I am sure I will eventually since my roommate has Netflix. I actually loved The Happening, and I hate M Night Shyamamama movies. That actress has been around forever. I liked how she played that role because she seemed like the weirdo next door, forgotten by society and vulnerable and dangerous at the same time. The cinematography during her scenes reminded me of the old silent horror flicks, that is the long shots and the emphasis on facial expressions.

Nov 4, 2009 5:44 PM ET #148 (permalink)

I absolutely HATED the Happening. It was just too damned predictable for me.

Agent: Regarding PA; I haven't seen it but have heard mixed reviews on it from fairly reliable sources. One thing everyone agrees on is the last 20 minutes is about the only part worth watching.

Nov 4, 2009 6:24 PM ET #149 (permalink)

i liked the concept of the happening. how our energy effects the world around us and that old lady was fucking awesome.

Nov 4, 2009 8:01 PM ET #150 (permalink)

Where is Shawn of the Dead placed? I say they're the same genre (horror/comedy). Although Shawn of the Dead is a spoof, so it may be in the comedy section.

Was Beetlejuice intended to be horror? Because that's funny in itself.

Also, I'm not a big horror fan, so.... 4th Kind's trailer scares me.

(This post was last edited on November 4, 2009 at 8:07 PM ET.)

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum