"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Quality Horror Movies

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> Quality Horror Movies

Displaying posts 51 - 75 of 290 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 Last
Displaying posts 51 - 75 of 290 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 Last
Aug 5, 2009 6:09 PM ET #51 (permalink)

I'll take your word that it looks funny AP but one thing I just got from wiki about Zombieland - "They are diseased, as opposed to undead. These are not the lumbering walking dead of Romero’s zombie movies, but instead the super jacked up 28 Days Later / Dawn of the Dead (2004) zombies. They are scary and gnarly and gross."

Fuck that. I've had enough "zombie" movies where the zombies are super strong and smart and fast. Give me the true lumbering undead any day.

Aug 5, 2009 6:13 PM ET #52 (permalink)

I guess we'll just have to take it at it's comedic value.

Aug 5, 2009 6:48 PM ET #53 (permalink)

Romero did make the best zombie movies for sure. The fast diseased/undead movies are okay, but not the type I would watch more than once. That's why i'm not really down with zombie or monster movies. They're too predictable IMO.

Aug 6, 2009 5:41 PM ET #54 (permalink)

I saw the last hour of "Them" and it was good, great suspense. "Event Horizon" was great but had some moments that had me puzzled. When the glass was broken by the dude's gun, and it opened into space, shouldn't they all have died? And I don't recommend "Audition," definitely not as good as I expected it to be.

Aug 6, 2009 5:53 PM ET #55 (permalink)

I had forgotten all about "Audition." That's another one of those genres that, like Italian horror, I simply can't enjoy as much. It's less nonsensical that anything by Fulci, but still frequently nonsensical to the point of no longer being worth watching. Some people will love it but its very rare that anything from that style ever really grips me. Takashi Miike is an overrated guy if you ask me. "3 Extremes" is a good starting point to figure out if you'll dig that sort of thing, as its got three different short movies (including one by Miike). Although I wasn't a huge fan, the "Dumplings" short will definitely change your outlook on Chinese food...

Aug 6, 2009 6:27 PM ET #56 (permalink)

Agreed on all points mentioned. In addition, The Red Shoes was recommended in my Netflix account, but I just can't get into silent foreign movies so I only made it about 20 minutes into that one. I've seen everything mentioned so far. But, I am watching The Man With The Screaming Brain again this weekend because I had forgotten about that one.

Aug 7, 2009 11:42 PM ET #57 (permalink)

Anyone watch Harper's Island on TV? I just watched the last 2 episodes on Netflix (my parents missed them and wanted to see them) and thought it looked ok. Some bad acting, but some interesting twists, etc. And pretty graphic for major network TV.

I dunno if I could have sat through 12 or 13 episodes of that though.

(This post was last edited on August 7, 2009 at 11:43 PM ET.)

Aug 10, 2009 11:17 AM ET #58 (permalink)

DB: I have a hard time making it through anything with crappy acting unless it's meant to be cheesy (like anything by Bruce Campbell). It seems as though the horror genre is on haiatus for the time being so I just loaded True Blood back into my queue. If you're going to pull a repeat on a series, that's a good one to choose. A lot of eye candy in that series. lol.

Aug 16, 2009 1:09 AM ET #59 (permalink)

Finally got to watch the new Friday the 13th. Not too bad. The new Halloween looks so badass.

Aug 16, 2009 10:19 PM ET #60 (permalink)

(This is just off the brain)

MUST SEE:
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later (and "28 Months Later" is gonna be kickass when it comes out)
Saw
Saw II
I Am Legend (Probably more drama than horror, but its good)
Ladybug Ladybug (Gay title, but its fucked up for the 60s)
Anything done by Roger Corman
Anything with Vincent Price
Most of the "Alien" series (Admit it, you'd fuck Sigourney Weaver)
Most of the "Predator" series

MUST AVOID:
Diary of the Dead (Just flat out LAME)
The Evil Dead (Once again, LAME)
Sequels after "Saw II" (Seriously, the first two were cool. The puzzles were easy and you learned to like the plot. A Dying Man who doles out deadly puzzles to teach people to appreciate life if they survive. Then after Saw II, the puzzles got ridiculous, and you're sitting there going "How the fuck is he supposed to figure that out?" Then you go "Oh great, he's just some dying asshole")
The SECOND "Alien vs. Predator: Requiem" (Seriously...wasn't worth the trouble)

For the record: Nowadays, I don't even watch horror to get scared anymore. I either laugh at it for being cheesy, or I like them for the action-packed bloodshed.

Aug 16, 2009 10:30 PM ET #61 (permalink)

I Am Legend doesn't really qualify as horror. It has elements that are CLOSE to horror (the seekers have some elements of a zombie apocalypse), but it just isn't close enough to me. Nevertheless, the movie was good except for the ending. It was martyrdom for the sake of martyrdom - there was no logic to that ending. It makes me want to kick Will Smith's ass, really.

"For the record: Nowadays, I don't even watch horror to get scared anymore. I either laugh at it for being cheesy, or I like them for the action-packed bloodshed."

So you're into horror comedy and slasher flicks, right?

Aug 17, 2009 11:06 AM ET #62 (permalink)

^^^ Who isn't? I didn't care much for the ending of I Am Legend either. I saw the new trailer for Halloween II this weekend and it looks like it's going to be good. I may be a bit biased though because I like Zombies style. Many disagree with me on this one but I really liked what he did with the first one. Also, Trick R' Treat is finally being released to DVD. I'm definately looking forward to it.

Aug 17, 2009 11:55 AM ET #63 (permalink)

lookinforward to the new h2 by robzombie

Aug 17, 2009 12:48 PM ET #64 (permalink)

Ditto on that Wilco.

Aug 19, 2009 1:46 AM ET #65 (permalink)

Inferno: Yes. I love that stuff. Shit like "30 Days of Night" are what get me. Enough fear, and action to keep the testosterone boiling.

Inferno/Blindgreed: You guys see the alternative ending to "I am Legend"?

Aug 19, 2009 10:52 AM ET #66 (permalink)

BlindGreed- Last night I saw the preview of Halloween II that you mentioned above. I can say that I am now actually looking forward to seeing it- looks like a REAL horror movie.

and dudes Will Smith SUCKS as an actor! Hancock? I, Robot? Men in Black? Independence Day? All gayer than gayer!
I did listen to "Parents Don't Understand" back in the day- that is what he should be remembered for.

Little known fact- Will turned down the role of Neo in the Matrix to make "The Wild Wild West". What a moron!

Aug 19, 2009 11:01 AM ET #67 (permalink)

Gore: Yeah, I saw it. And BTW, most people who feel as you do about the Saw movies haven't read the book. Did you by chance read it? The series will go to eight installments just like the book did and it will give you a general idea of why they are playing out the way they do. There is a method involved here.

Bruno: I had heard about that at the time he turned it down. Cut him some slack though man. Who doesn't want to be a cowboy? lol.

Aug 19, 2009 11:19 AM ET #68 (permalink)

BlindGreed- Not only that, but he couldn't make an elaborate rap song/video for the Matrix, but he sured milked that Wild Wild West schtick for all it was worth. I tell you, WS is a ego driven Hollywood Scientologist, nothng more.

Aug 19, 2009 12:44 PM ET #69 (permalink)

Lol. Scientologists. Jsin was explaining a little to me about them. Strange fuckin ideas man. In fact, most religions have some pretty strange ideas IMO.

Aug 19, 2009 1:42 PM ET #70 (permalink)

BG- I agree, but Scientology takes the (fruit) cake. The funniest South Park EVER is the Tom Cruise scientology episode. The scene where they explain the cult and the screen is flashing "They actually believe this" is beyond hysterically funny.

Aug 19, 2009 4:15 PM ET #71 (permalink)

Say what you want about Will, Seven Pounds was a great movie.

Aug 19, 2009 4:18 PM ET #72 (permalink)

Actually, I didn't see this alternative ending. Where can I see it?

Aug 19, 2009 5:19 PM ET #73 (permalink)

It's on the DVD. Look for it on the back.

Aug 19, 2009 5:42 PM ET #74 (permalink)

Bruno: Absolutely!

AP1: I was pissed off after watching 7 pounds. Someone told me it was "a great movie" and that it was right up my alley. They couldn't have been more wrong. To me it was a bordeline chick flick but my GF disagrees.

Aug 23, 2009 9:57 PM ET #75 (permalink)

While on the Will Smith subject, just wanted to let those who haven't heard yet, Steven Spielberg is planning on making an adaptation of "Old Boy" starring none other than your boi, Will Smith. Now, they have mentioned it will not be a remake of the movie, but an adaptaion of the manga series. All I've been able to gather on the differences between the movie and the manga is from wikipedia, mentioning that there is no incest and no octopus eating scene, which I was looking forward to. I don't know what to think about this really, hopefully it works, but I really, really doubt it. And it might really fail.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum