"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Quality Horror Movies

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> Quality Horror Movies

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 290 1 2 3 ... 11 12 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 290 1 2 3 ... 11 12 Last
Jul 24, 2009 2:33 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I am always on the look out for quality horror movies. If anyone has any suggestions (must see's or must avoid's) I would greatly appriciate it. I can't list all that i've seen for obvious reasons, but if you can think of an obscure horror that that scared the shit out of you i'd appriciate it. In addition, feel free to open a discussion about other horrors on this thread.

I watched "A Haunting In Connecticut" last week and was pleasantly suprized.

Jul 24, 2009 3:47 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Y

I would avoid most new horror movies. It's all about gore and special effects, not the actual story.

Jul 24, 2009 4:12 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Y: I LOVE gore. A storyline is good too which seems to be the recent trend in horror, but gore is a must IMO. The latest Friday the 13th and Halloween are good examples of the new wave of horror which includes a storyline.

Jul 24, 2009 4:17 PM ET #4 (permalink)

One of my favorite subjects! Joy! I'm a pretty big horror movie fan, but you are right, there are way to many to simply list. There's also personal taste to account for. One of my favorites is "Dagon," but its one to avoid if incestuous fish creatures and heavy Spanish accents turn you off. "In The Mouth of Madness" is another favorite, based heavily on Lovecraft.

The new Friday the 13th had great production, but unfortunately it didn't take the series anywhere it hadn't gone before, so skip it if you saw any of the previous entries and were bored by them. I was pretty disappointed with it to be honest. After we got the amazing reboots of Batman and James Bond I assumed the trend would continue into horror, but no such luck. Hopefully the new Nightmare on Elm Street, Hellraiser, and Child's Play will do it better.

Some random other recommendations: "28 Days Later" is hands down the best zombie flick of all time, and the sequel is pretty awesome too but in more of an action oriented way. "Silent Hill" had a lot of great stuff going for it (loved the razor wire death at the end!), but apparently fans of the game series didn't like it. "The Descent," "Wolf Creek," "Hostel," the remake of "The Hills Have Eyes," and the remake of "The Hitcher" all manage to deliver the goods if you haven't seen those yet.

I'm not sure if it's actually classified as horror or not, but "Cube" is a pretty wild ride, and creepy as fuck in its connotations. If you like gore and movies that aren't afraid to do things you wouldn't want your mother to see then "Feast" is a winner, although the sequels were pretty terrible.

For the oldies but goodies there's always "Reanimator." Lots of people hated "Event Horizon," but personally I thought it was a pretty awesome blend of sci-fi with Hellraiser style horror.

There's also a lot of absolute crap that is worth watching anyway just so you can say you've seen it and survived. "Entrails of a Beautiful Woman" is one such piece of crap.

Gah, too many to list. I'm going to stop now.

Jul 24, 2009 4:29 PM ET #5 (permalink)

I'll second "The Descent" and "28 Days Later." 28 Days Later is hands down the best horror movie released this decade in my opinion.

BG1 - You should check out "High Tension" which is a French horror film that is dubbed for english...still worth it. You get past the dub within 10 minutes or so.

You already know how I feel about the original Texas Chanisaw, but you might want to check out TCM 2. "Dog will hunt!"

Evil Dead 1 & 2 are classics!!!

"House of a 1000 corpses" is good. I was pleased with "Blair Witch 2" but that's more of a guilty pleasure since it contains QOTSA "Feel good hit of the summer."

Gotta go but I'll definitely check back in.

Jul 24, 2009 4:45 PM ET #6 (permalink)

xFiruath:"Entrails of a Beautiful Woman" I believe is the only one I haven't seen yet. I thought the new Friday the 13th actually did bring something new to the table with the whole mother thing (I know they did it before in the 2nd or 3rd, but this time they really ran with it). I would recommend "High Tension" if you haven't seen it yet. I've been dipping into foreign horrors for a while now and that one is one of the better ones. Actually, theres a lot of quality foreign horror. Most notably, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, and French. My nickname on netflix is CV 261882 today but will be Blindgreed1 by tomorrow. Also "Otis" is pretty good too if you like comedy in horror.

Jul 24, 2009 4:48 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Cozen: HIGH TENSION (see above) LMFAO!!! Yeah, i've seen TCM2. I think i've seen everything Dennis Hopper ever did. Both were pretty good IMO, but then again I have a life size animated leatherface in my livingroom year round. I'm not really big on monster horrors. I'm more of a slasher guy. Have you guys checked out the Horrorfest collections yet?

(This post was last edited on July 24, 2009 at 5:32 PM ET.)

Jul 24, 2009 5:11 PM ET #8 (permalink)

28 Days later was cool, even though it wasn't a zombie flick. The people were actually still living, but were just infected with rage. I thought The Grudge was just absolutely bad ass.

Jul 24, 2009 5:13 PM ET #9 (permalink)

The Descent was ok. The claustrophobia bothered me a LOT more than the "horror" parts. Most of the horror I found laughable and I predicted two possible outcomes of the movie very early on and one was it. I am not a huge horror fan (don't get to watch much cuz my wife hates it) and rarely am good at predicting movies, but they followed some pretty cliched plot staples there. I still liked it fairly well though. Also like the 28 days later movies. It was cool that they made plausible zombie movies. I'm only now catching up with the Saw movies and like the first 2, not so much the 3rd.

So otherwise, I'll be taking tips from you all since I am way behind on the horror curve.

Jul 24, 2009 5:23 PM ET #10 (permalink)

I'm not a huge fan of modern horror films. Have you seen "Nosferatu" ? It's a horror film from the 1920's. I like to dig up old films from the 20's - 70's.

Jul 24, 2009 5:30 PM ET #11 (permalink)

AP1: The Grudge movies pale in comparison to the origional Ju-On Japanese versions. I would highly recommend you giving those a shot if you enjoyed the Grudge. Also, there are a lot of Korean horrors which are up that same alley. I would recommend Face, Art of the Devil II, Reincarnation and Bloody Reunion. Old Boy was pretty good too (Japanese).

Shredder: That was a good one. The documentary on that actor concerning his part in that movie was a good one as well. I forget what it's called though.

(This post was last edited on July 24, 2009 at 6:36 PM ET.)

Jul 24, 2009 7:22 PM ET #12 (permalink)

love horror movies
but my fav is still the rob zombie work he has done the last few years

but like planet terror as well

Jul 24, 2009 7:25 PM ET #13 (permalink)

High Tension is a pretty good one, but I was rather disappointed with the barb wire fence scene. The trailer made it look like that was going to be brutal, but then it just fell apart (as it had to due to the twist ending).

Mirrors was much better than I thought it would be. I figured it was going to be a big pile of non-horror, but it had some tense moments and some significant gore. Not perfect, but worth watching.

Personally I thought House of 1000 Corpses was terrible on a new level (except for the ever-humorous "Well shit the bed!" exclamation), but The Devil's Rejects was pretty damn awesome.

Loved the original Saw, but just can't get into the sequels. That's a series that is becoming a mockery of itself. The "OMG Twist Ending!!!" has gotten thinner with each entry, and the way that Jigsaw/Amanda have become like Jason (unstoppable whirlwind of death that you can't possibly escape no matter how strong, fast, or smart you are) has taken away any shred of believability the series had, which was one of its strongest points.

Anybody seen the trailer for Dead Snow yet? Zombie Nazis in the arctic, what could be better?

Jul 24, 2009 7:35 PM ET #14 (permalink)

Funny thing about Nosferatu... I read up recently that the people who shot the film didn't get rights to make Dracula into a film at the time, so they changed some parts of the Dracula story to avoid being sued and called it Nosferatu. Just thought I'd bring it up.

Jul 24, 2009 8:47 PM ET #15 (permalink)

Check out the trailer for "Damned by Dawn" about a wailing banshee that raises the dead. Probably a little too much CGI but it's got potential.

Sam Raimi's new film "Drag me to Hell" looks good...but I love Sam Raimi (Evil Dead).

"Hellraiser" "An American Werewolf in London" & "Phantasm" are classics. "Dead Alive" is ridiculour over the top gore.

I prefer 1000 corpses to Rejects except for the end of Rejects...greatness.

"Hell Night" stuck with me from childhood. "Silent Night Deadly Night" as well.

Vampire films: you gotta go "Lost Boys" which barely qualifies as horror (there is the beach feeding frenzy). "Bloodstone" is pretty good and is one of the only vampire movies filmed in Transylvania. "Near Dark" gets honorable mention.

Jul 27, 2009 6:57 AM ET #16 (permalink)

Here's my list of favorites:
Exorcist, Event Horizon, The Ring, The Ruins.

Some others that are good would the The Grudge and The Descent.

Just saw Black Ops the other day expecting a war flick but it turned out to be a fair Sci-Fi/Horror flick.

An old classic that might be worth your while is The Drop Of Water. It was a short in an otherwise lame Boris Karloff trilogy called Black Sabbath. It might be hard to find but check ebay. The name of the film was adopted by Iommi and company over their original bandname Earth.

Jul 27, 2009 7:35 AM ET #17 (permalink)

Dead Alive was the absolute dumbest movie I've ever seen. Peter Jackson himself is embarrased that he made it.

Jul 27, 2009 8:47 AM ET #18 (permalink)

Saw Drag Me To Hell the other week. It was propped up as being fun, but also scary.

It was kinda amusing, and there was a lot of projectile vomiting of cockroaches, etc, but it was about as scary as a shetland pony collecting garlands of daisies. Major sigh. Do not recommend.

Jul 27, 2009 10:16 AM ET #19 (permalink)

AP1 - I can't argue with your thoughts on Dead Alive. I mentioned it more for the gore Blindgreed1 favors. I remember cutting it off in the past...though sometimes I find myself wanting to watch ridiculously STUPID movies. My wife doesn't understand that...anyone in here?

Jul 27, 2009 4:13 PM ET #20 (permalink)

Cozen: Guilty. I watched Motel Hell and Deranged last weekend. Although Deranged was about Ed Gein, it was still very badly done and Motel Hell was both stupid and badly done. The nice thing in my case is that although my girlfriend doesn't share my passion for stupid horror, she does love the funny horror. "Black Sheep" is a perfect example of hilarious horror. That movie is riddled with humor. I watch it every year on New Years eve.

Jul 27, 2009 5:16 PM ET #21 (permalink)

Sam Raimi perfected horror/comedy with Evil Dead. Otherwise, I thought Shaun of the Dead works as well. I'll have to check out Black Sheep.

CABBAGE HEADS!!!! Motel Hell sticks with me to this day. Horrible acting is almost as fun to watch as great acting. The cabbage-head-gargle is classic.

Jul 27, 2009 5:23 PM ET #22 (permalink)

Quick sub-topic:

Best Nightmare on Elm St. sequel?
-#3 Dream Warriors (Patricia Arquette)

Best Friday the 13th sequel (besides recent release)?
-#4 Final Chapter (Corey Feldman)

Jul 28, 2009 5:57 PM ET #23 (permalink)

I'm a big fan of the classics like ''The Exorcist'' and ''The Shining.'' Not much for a lot of the modern horror flicks though.

Jul 28, 2009 6:59 PM ET #24 (permalink)

Cozen: I'd go along with those, although I didn't like the Dokken tune in the sound track. I guess Nightmare 2 was pretty good too now that I consider it.

TOG: You can't beat a horror with Nicholson in it man (keep in mind I don't consider "Wolf" a horror).

In case anyone doesn't already know: Don't waste your time with "Knowing". Gahhh! I was tricked into watching Christian Sci-Fi.

Jul 29, 2009 8:29 AM ET #25 (permalink)

A day late and dollar short BG1...I signed up for Netflix the other day and popped "Knowing" off first. Arrrgghhh.

It's sitting on my counter at home right now contaminating my collection. I shall hold off criticism until I actually watch it.

This is no horror, but I've got to plug a little ditty I ran across years back. If it's late and you want a trippy movie, pop in "Six String Samurai." It's an actual play on Wizard of Oz via samurai flick!!! Kinda like Road Warrior meets Dorothy.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum