"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

is emo part of the metal society?

Posted in: Forum Home >> Non-Metal Music Discussion >> is emo part of the metal society?

Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 52 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 52 1 2 3 Last
Oct 19, 2010 11:34 AM ET #26 (permalink)

MHG66: I see you are from TX, Im from S.E. TX originally. What part you in?

Oct 19, 2010 12:05 PM ET #27 (permalink)

emo basically...this is coming from someone with a group of scene friends...

Emo is a fashion statement, yeah. But emo is just a short word for emotional. There are bands that play music that has emotional lyrics. Emo bands just happen to be focusing on all the negative emotions. There are a lot of stereotypes that come with being emo though, IE: all emos wear tight pants, multi-colored v-necks, converses, have really bad flippy haircuts, and uhh oh yeah, eyeliner.

I know a lot of people who listen to bands I guess you could consider...erm..emo..but they don't look anything like a kid who steals his sisters jeans and makeup to make a fashion statement.

Music is a form of expression. And while "emo" is a very poor expression of music that sounds like nails on a chalk board, people still have their tastes and opinions.

As a fan of hardcore, post- hardcore, deathcore, and metalcore music however, it makes my skin crawl to see people using the "genre" of "emocore" to describe emo bands that might actually play music that isn't always slow and depressing. In no way is emo in the same ballpark as any of the metal subgenres I just listed. Not at all.

np: The Acacia Strain- JFC

Oct 19, 2010 12:13 PM ET #28 (permalink)

Well dude that sad part is that emo music has creeped it's way into the metal sub-genres, particularley the core-related genres, surprise surprise!!!

The reality of it is that all music in general these days is getting mixed together and genres are starting to deteriorate slightly as they start to blend. If some musician likes something and happens to like something else well, chances are they may create somehting that's a mix of the genres which in some situations just may be emo and metal\hardcore. The shit does exist.

Oct 19, 2010 1:00 PM ET #29 (permalink)

Branded: I was originally from a little town called Red Oak but Now I live just south of Dallas!! Love Texas man.... except for some of the strict laws lol

Oct 19, 2010 1:09 PM ET #30 (permalink)

right-o, im from the swamps of s.e. tx marshland. rice fields, crawfish farms, alligators, etc. I DEF. DO NOT MISS THE MOSQUITOS!!

Oct 20, 2010 10:43 AM ET #31 (permalink)

Bahahah I feel you man! Im not even in the swamp and were getting swarmed, those bastards are all over the place!! Damn disease ridden mosquitos

Oct 20, 2010 11:20 AM ET #32 (permalink)

Yeah, Texas and stuff!

Oct 20, 2010 12:43 PM ET #33 (permalink)

here in Charlotte nc the mosquitos are quite tame compared to the huge monsters of east texas!!!! here its like a tingly sting and then after 5 mins nothing. back there its like a wasp sting sometimes and huge welts from the poison!! better them than me!!

Oct 20, 2010 2:15 PM ET #34 (permalink)

Well everyplace has its own issues to deal with I guess.... Maybe thats why theres so many emo fags LOL

Oct 20, 2010 2:55 PM ET #35 (permalink)

not too many emo fks here in the charlotte area. the ones that are here, keep out of site!

Oct 21, 2010 9:18 AM ET #36 (permalink)

The mosquitoes from Louisiana are the worst. But I've heard the ones in North Dakota and Alaska are downright awful.

Oct 21, 2010 9:53 AM ET #37 (permalink)

ohhhh god I bet the emo fags in alaska are the worst...lol
makes me wonder if theres any in afgahnistan

Oct 27, 2010 10:53 PM ET #38 (permalink)

I posted this in that Warped Tour thread and meant for it to go here: lots of metal dudes around where i live are the biggest fucking cry babies ever, I gues they are emos haha

Nov 7, 2010 11:22 AM ET #39 (permalink)

lmao emo metal dudes. "I'm so misunderstood.....-guitar chord- YET SO BRUTAL"

Nov 26, 2010 5:23 AM ET #40 (permalink)

emo music is garbage and not metal...however there are the screamo and metalcore bands that are starting to sound very emo and giving the genre a bad name...those bands are just garbage too

Nov 29, 2010 11:43 AM ET #41 (permalink)

quite a few of them here (miami) unfortunately. most listen to post-hardcore, post-punk, and screamo and other shit. almost the entire population here just likes senseless mindless and talentess clubbing and dancing music like reggaeton, modern rap/hip hop, poppy rock, etc. and there are some "metalheads" that just like mainstream metal, disturbed, 5fdp, and mostly metalcore crap. not many actual metalheads here, but most listen to old skool traditional death metal and thrash. then, there's me.

Nov 29, 2010 11:51 AM ET #42 (permalink)

and what r u 0head?!

Nov 30, 2010 6:14 PM ET #43 (permalink)

who? me? who's asking? u a cop? lol well my good friend, i just like anything that sticks out to me. idrc if it's mainstream, underground, obscure, etc., as long as i'm able to depict the instrumentation of a song, and there's something memorable about the band's sound, then it's for me. i get turned off easily by bands that just sound like each other or that just fit into the genre of which they belong to. thus my hatred towards generic metalcore, plain deathcore, and typical black metal. my extremely broad taste in music (in general, NOT just metal) goes into many different realms of sound that may shock and appalle u. i mainly love synths, good funky beats (i love drums), dynamic diversity, amazing guitar leads, and good harmony (vocal or guitar), which is why the main genres that i love are alternative/electronica, alternative metal, synthpop, prog metal, groove metal, DnB, gothenburg-style melodic death metal, melodic metal, industrial rock and metal, and some good tech death, metalcore, post-hardcore, grunge and nu metal. hell i even like some celtic punk, folk metal, math metal, pop rock/punk, and rap metal. and how about u?? besides gwar lmao

Nov 30, 2010 6:23 PM ET #44 (permalink)

I have music from so many different genres ranging from Alabama to Zimmer's Hole, and just about everything under the sun. Old School blues, Goa Trance, Celtic, Native American, etc...

Nov 30, 2010 10:35 PM ET #45 (permalink)

we are some interesting human beings branded lol ::hi-6:: (just kuz a hi-5 isn't enough)

Nov 30, 2010 10:47 PM ET #46 (permalink)

::double tap:: pow pow......

Dec 1, 2010 11:23 AM ET #47 (permalink)

::does my "i'm paid" dance::

Dec 18, 2010 9:59 PM ET #48 (permalink)

EMO is pathetic and it's a disgrace to even question whether or not they're a part of the metal society! there is nothing metal about kids dressing up in black just because it's "fun" and wearing whereing animal print-skin tight-gibblet crunching jeans and an band T of Bullet For My Valentine! you CANNOT be metal if you watch cartoons of poorly animated talking cupcakes and other "cutsie" creatures, then switch to your dark side and be an antisocial little bitch! that's why i am strongly for metal supremists! because THEY are the ones who sort out the true metalheads from the posers. long story short, EMO's are posers and are NOT metal.

Dec 18, 2010 10:17 PM ET #49 (permalink)

For someone who worships Trivium and Whitechapel you sure are clean cut on who the posers are.

Dec 20, 2010 9:14 AM ET #50 (permalink)

...and saliva, rlly?? ashamed that we share that same state.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Non-Metal Music Discussion forum