"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Amps - This is the future

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> Amps - This is the future

Displaying 6 posts
Displaying 6 posts
May 7, 2010 3:35 PM ET #1 (permalink)

As we've - well, I certainly have - been slagging off amp simulators for years - mainly the Line6 and Digitech stuff without forgetting Roland's units based on their COSM simulation technology (their VG8 system was pretty amazing though), This is where it's going, my friends. I have tested the latest Digitech GSP1101, and it's pretty amazing. Apparently, the 2nd one here, the Fractal system processor is supposed to be the best simulator out there. Don't know, haven't tried it, but so they say.

Bah, you say? Hear them yourself!

Digitech GSP1101
http://www.digitech.com/products/Multi-Effects/Flash_Demo/GSP1101/GSP1101demo.php

Fractal Audio Axe-FX
http://www.fractalaudio.com/experience.html

May 7, 2010 4:48 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Holy fucking shit Wolf. Very impressive...

May 7, 2010 11:23 PM ET #3 (permalink)

That sounds way better than my amp :(

May 8, 2010 4:38 AM ET #4 (permalink)

BG1, I was shocked at how good the GSP1101 sounded when I did my test! The dynamics were there and it roared like a tube preamp on most of the gain/distortion settings. Plus the damn thing goes for about 600USD and apparently sounds good and functions really well DI to a desk.

As for the Fractal unit, I haven't tested it yet (apparently there are now around 100 units in Europe total, so I need to find one first!), but if someone like John Petrucci is praising it now among Adrian Belew plus other tone maniacs, something's up there.

I guess this is where it's going; Bands like Meshuggah are already using digital amps / simulators DI to a desk without actual speaker cabinets onstage, so surely we'll be seeing more and more of it in the future.

May 11, 2010 3:12 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Hell of a lot less to lug around and risk getting dammaged. That's a major selling point right there for tone freaks.

May 11, 2010 6:46 PM ET #6 (permalink)

the axe fx is amazing, never used it just heard it. it's one of those things that's great if you like to dial your tone i heard... too many options so you gotta make it yourself.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum