"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

B.C. Rich Guitars, nice for sound and stage?

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> B.C. Rich Guitars, nice for sound and stage?

Displaying 17 posts
Displaying 17 posts
May 2, 2010 10:19 AM ET #1 (permalink)

I just want some opinions on b.c. rich, I myself own the warbeast, and soon plan on owning a warlock as well. I think they look nice on stage, and give a great sound, especially for black metal. What do you guys think?

May 2, 2010 12:34 PM ET #2 (permalink)

I really don't like most of their stuff, for quality reasons and their looks. I'm not too big on the super-extreme and pointy body styles. Still, I have always kind of wanted a higher-end Mockingbird. The shape is just so sexy.

May 2, 2010 2:03 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Depends on which one you want, man. My bass player just bought a B.C. Rich Trace Warbeast guitar and is kinda disappointed. When we play or write songs together on guitar, you can tell the difference in clarity and quality between with his B.C. Rich Trace and my Dean Dimebag Darrel Razorback, as mine completely shreds his in play-ability and tone. If fact, his BC Rich has a way overly bassy tone thats more annoying to dial out of your sound than anything. On the other hand, I've played a few of the Kerry King models and they, for the most part, sound great.

May 4, 2010 3:10 PM ET #4 (permalink)

The whole problem with BC Rich guitars is the quality you get for the money you spend.!
Basically any model that is under the $350-$400 dollar range is made out of plywood or particle board... and
that right there makes it almost impossible to get a decent sound... no matter if you spend money to upgrade
PUs, bridge and tuners or not.!!
If you polish a turd... its still a turd.!!
If your money is wasted on anything other than their newer neckthru models... your only getting a turd.!
Although, even with the Asian made neckthru models your still stuck with mediocre sounding PUs and hardware.!!

The high-end, U.S.A made "Supreme" models are certainly the way to go... but then, who really has thousands to
spend on a guitar that you risk the chance of putting dings in the points every time you play it.!
Dont get me wrong.. Ive owned a few NJ models... Warock, Mockinbird and Bich at different times over the years...
but Ive always gotten sick of the lack of quality even in those higher priced models.!
The next and last BC Rich I purchase will be a US made Bich.!

May 4, 2010 3:41 PM ET #5 (permalink)

I own a BC Rich NJ Virgin, and it's not a bad guitar, but I'd take a Les Paul over it any day.

May 4, 2010 4:22 PM ET #6 (permalink)

Perhaps my preivous post sounded a bit harsh..?

I really dont mind BC Rich guitars... Hell, I love the looks of all their models... my favorite being the Bich.!!
But you have to buy the NJ series or a higher priced model to get something with some quality.!?

I really hate the fact that they sell such cheaply made guitars.! And target the youngsters who dont really
know what a quality instrument really is.!?

There are a gazillion kids out there that have wanted to start playing guitar... and end up starting out on
a piece of shit that is hard to play because of the shit quality neck and hardware... and after spending some time
getting frustrated because its hard to play chords when you have to press the strings down so far because the action
cant be lowered to a comfortable level because the strings buzz or fret out etc.. Then they give up playing.. when
in all reality... if they had the chance to play something that was easy to play with some nice low action and produced
a half assed decent quality sound they would probably stick with it..

May 4, 2010 4:53 PM ET #7 (permalink)

godlike: I know what you mean, my first guitar was a piece of shit Rogue stratocaster. After a while, I put down $700 for my BC Rich, and it's not half bad. The key is, though, I went for the higher end model, and got my money's worth.

May 4, 2010 5:04 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Exactly \m/

The sad thing is that most of the parents out there dont realize that when they buy that peice of shit cheap guitar... they are actually wasting their money.! For a couple reasons... First of all, the kid is going to have a hard time playing it and probably give up.?
And secondly, when they turn around and try to sell it, they arent going to get more than half of what they paid for
it.. if that..?

Now Im not saying that every parent out there has to spend an arm and a leg on an instrument... Hell, I started out
on a piece of shit no-name Les Paul copy.... I guess what helps is that there are a few companies out there that make a decent playing guitar for the same price or less than one of these cheaply made BC Rich's.... (see my post in the "metal guitar" thread)

Its too bad that those kids see a guy like Kerry King playing a BC Rich and think that when they beg their parents to
spend that $250 for that Kerry King signature BC Rich... that they are getting the same guitar that he is playing.. lol
When in all reality.. the guitar that Kerry King is playing is one that is made in the U.S. and would probably cost
more than the family car.?!

(This post was last edited on May 4, 2010 at 5:14 PM ET.)

May 5, 2010 4:37 PM ET #9 (permalink)

I don't like em. Too fucking heavy for my taste, but they LOOK metal. lol.

May 5, 2010 8:40 PM ET #10 (permalink)

I've played B.C. Riches for 30 years. When I went into that guitar store in Denver "Drum City Guitar land", in 1996, and ordered the First ever U.S. Made Warlock bass with a Widow bass headstock, I was hesitant on what I would be getting. 2 Weeks and $2,700 later I got a call it was in. Absolutely the most awesome Death Metal bass I have ever seen. I played it a lot when I was with ORIGIN at Metalfests and on tour with Cryptopsy and Candiria 2000-2001.
Never ever had a problem with it.

I've played them all. Lotus basses to Warwicks and beyond.

They are and always will be a "Death/Grind Metal instrument if you go with an "Evil Shape".
I have no complaints yet on touring and actual electronic sounds from ANY Rich I've owned.

True, you do "Get what you pay for".

Imagine a $289.00 New PRS Guitar or bass!
Every brand has a "Bargain Line" of instruments, and I've never seen a "Perfect Bass", but if you want a solid, rugged instrument you WILL need to spend over $600 for it in a BC RICH.....IMO
As for me I've moved on to ESP.
Fuckin love 'em!

(This post was last edited on May 9, 2010 at 1:27 PM ET.)

May 6, 2010 11:04 AM ET #11 (permalink)

Sabot-7: Welcome to the mighty MU. I see you've done your time on the road as well. You still with Origin? I didn't see a BC Rich on the videos I searched. Some of the most monstorous bass lines i've ever heard are attributed to the techno-death genre. Cheers to you my friend.

I recently saw the guy from Evile playing a wicked looking "V" Moser (sp?). I'm not sure if the body style was emulating a flaming V or a sawblade V, but whatever it was it looked really cool. I was impressed with how light and balanced it was.

May 7, 2010 9:33 AM ET #12 (permalink)

ORIGIN I left back in 2002 to join the ARMY. DEMOLITION HAMMER WAS A BETTER BAND!

I 've had cheap BCs' and $5,000 BC's. Was endorsed for 4 years after my Widow Headstock idea made them millions!

I have several, high-end Warlocks and Mockingbirds. The FACTORY electronics on every one of MY basses cuts right throught the whole fucking band.

Any guitar or bass can be shitty, I had a $1,700 WARWICK bass just shut down in the middle of practice one night!
The shit pre-amp couldn't handle the speed I guess. Buy what fits your feel, and playing style, don't be afraid to ask for a strap and crank that Fukker up loud!
If they bitch, don't buy! YOU own the Guitar Shop when it comes down to it!

(This post was last edited on May 9, 2010 at 1:30 PM ET.)

May 7, 2010 11:52 AM ET #13 (permalink)

Ahhh... I see the split was a mutual "growth experience" for everyone involved. lol. I did check out the vids and payed particular attention to the phrasing and there does seem to be a loss of continuity in the changes but that is often the case with most Techno-Death. I've never really been sure if they lost the continuity or if maybe I just can't hear it.

May 8, 2010 2:03 AM ET #14 (permalink)

Oh, a SABOT is an M1 Abrams Tank round.
A 19 inch by 2 inch DART designed to penetrate enemy armor (Women) and just bounce around inside the enemy tank.
Survival rate if hit with this round? 0.2%.. If you were curious! Boots,Blood & Wires & Bones is all that remains....
No pun intended!

(This post was last edited on May 9, 2010 at 1:31 PM ET.)

May 8, 2010 4:02 AM ET #15 (permalink)

Did someone mention Demolition Hammer? Fuckin ay! One of the most underrated bands in metal.

May 8, 2010 11:45 PM ET #16 (permalink)

"EPIDEMIC of VIOLENCE" Reigns!

ABORTICIDE!

May 10, 2010 2:57 PM ET #17 (permalink)

I am familiar with this munition. I've heard that most of the human matter ends up outside of the tank though. never seen it for myself so I can't comment to it other than to say if that's true its pretty metal. \m/\m/

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum