"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Metal Guitar

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> Metal Guitar

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 26 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 26 1 2 Last
Apr 27, 2010 9:55 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I've been playing guitar for several years now and I'm thinking about getting a new guitar, specifically for playing metal guitar. I've looked at a bunch of different guitars, especially Jackson and BC Rich guitars. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to either brand? Do you have other suggestions I could check out as well? Thanks.

Apr 27, 2010 10:53 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Depends on what your budget is (what is it?), from what I've heard about BC Rich, unless you're going for the higher end models they aren't so good in the quality department, and the same goes for Jackson out of personal experience.

Whether or not money is an issue here, I'd say to go for an ESP/LTD, Schecter, or Ibanez for playing metal, but as usual, it comes down to personal preference.

Apr 27, 2010 11:16 PM ET #3 (permalink)

thanks for the info, my budget is probably in the $200-300 range at the moment. I definitely wouldn't be able to afford a high-end model...

all the makers you mentioned seemed pretty good, it's just tricky for me to distinguish between one and the other without playing them, because i've had the same guitar for years so my experience is pretty limited.

(This post was last edited on April 27, 2010 at 11:24 PM ET.)

Apr 27, 2010 11:58 PM ET #4 (permalink)

I have a Schecter guitar and I highly recommend them if you can find one in your price range. If you're moving up, I would buy a good guitar that you will be happy with. Get a seller to get one in for you or if you're buying second hand read loads of reviews on it and make sure it's what you want. Otherwise down the track you'll end up buying a new guitar anyway. BC and Jackson are ok in my experience, but don't be phased into thinking that other guitars aren't good for metal just because they're not those brands. I'm sure other people round here have more advice, there are some guitar gurus lurking...

Apr 28, 2010 2:29 AM ET #5 (permalink)

I'm no guitar guru but if you wanna play metal and got a low budget I would recommend an Epiphone SG. Honestly you cannot go wrong there, looks good, stays in tune, takes a beating (seriously dude that thing 'il last ya), and fuck if you need something that'll give you that heavy crunchy tone then there you go, it'll do it for you man, fuck pedals. I've been playing metal and punk rock for 6 or 7 years now and that thing, along with my Les Paul, is the best investment I've ever made, never looked back and never thought about selling it or getting something else. Best used with a Marshell. Mind you this is based on MY personal preference which I guess everyone needs to find out for their own, but yeah, Epiphone SG 400. New they're about $600 or so give or take, depends on the dealer.

(This post was last edited on April 28, 2010 at 2:29 AM ET.)

Apr 28, 2010 7:32 AM ET #6 (permalink)

thanks you all, this helps a lot

Apr 28, 2010 3:22 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Spagetti: That is unless you prefer a specific neck style. An SG or even an SG copy would definitely go wrong for me because I can't stand Gibson necks.

I've bought pawn shop guitars for 50 bucks and with a little TLC and some time and energy turned them into excellent instruments. Along the way I picked up the know how to set one up, intonate it, do truss rod adjustments and handle just about anything you can throw at me. I highly recommend getting to know your instrument inside and out and in doing so you'll know what you want and how to get it.

Apr 28, 2010 4:13 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Well yeah like I said, to each his own. I love the Gibson necks so................... YEAH!!!!

Apr 28, 2010 6:37 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Lol.

Apr 28, 2010 10:41 PM ET #10 (permalink)

yeah spagmo, i'm a fan of gibson/epi as well. I love the feel of my epiphone les paul standard, but the tuners are junk. That's gonna be something i'm fixing in the near future though, so that's ok. Back on the original topic, i'd say to go for one of the three brands i already mentioned with that budget, and check ebay for used gear, you can find better stuff that you couldn't afford new that way. My computer is broken and i'm having to post from my phone so forgive the wall of text.

Apr 28, 2010 10:45 PM ET #11 (permalink)

oh, and what kind of amp are you using, and are you happy with it? It's better to have a good sounding amp with a not so great guitar, rather than the other way around. If you aren't happy with the amp i'd suggest investing in that over another guitar.

Apr 28, 2010 11:03 PM ET #12 (permalink)

I have two different Fender amps. One is basic and not that great, but I'm pretty happy with the other one. It's not ideal, but it's done a good job so far.

Apr 29, 2010 1:16 AM ET #13 (permalink)

Fender make good amps so you should be in the safe zone, had one myself but nothing beats a Marshell - cliche ya I know.

Apr 29, 2010 8:02 AM ET #14 (permalink)

yeah i have a friend that uses a Marshall, they're really good

Apr 29, 2010 12:05 PM ET #15 (permalink)

"Nothing beats a Marshell", again, I'm gonna have to disagree with ya. Laney, Ampeg and Mesa Boogie (and many, many others) make amps superior to Marshall. I actually prefer the sound of a Laney over a Marshall any day. Keep in mind that at least 1/4 of the price you pay for a Marshall is the name. Break it down to the actual amp and speakers and they're really just middle of the road.

Apr 30, 2010 2:53 AM ET #16 (permalink)

Schecter all the way. ESP is of good quality, but I love Schecter. They make great instruments. the OMEN is a budget friendly guitar if money is an issue. American musical.com lets you do it in payments with a debit card as well. something to look into.

May 1, 2010 6:18 PM ET #17 (permalink)

Well I certainly won't argue with you as you seem to be more knowledgeable than I in this particular field. But I've had my Marshell for about 7 years now, it's always worked great, never had any problems, sounds great, takes a beating (dropped it down a set of stairs once, still worked) and it just gives me the right sound I'm looking for without much fiddling around.

May 2, 2010 10:25 AM ET #18 (permalink)

Personally Id rather have the b.c. rich, Ive got a warbeast and it sounds nice, most b.c. richs have some god awful frett buzz on the first 3 frets on the D, G, B, e strings (bottom 4) Only on the lower quality models though. If you can afford 600 dollars for a platinum warlock (not saying your poor, but some are) Then I think youd like it. B.C. Rich lower end models really arent bad, especially the warbeast 1.

May 2, 2010 12:07 PM ET #19 (permalink)

I wouldn't go for BCs at all, neither for Epiphones. Schecters, LTDs and most of Ibanezes and Jacksons are great guitars. But, it's really a matter of opinion. Especially BC Rich's quality has nosedived in the past 5-6years, apart from the expensive Kerry King level signature ones etc.
The simpliest way to pick the best guitar is also the most logical way; just cruise through the music store and try as many guitars as possible, and pick the one you like the most. If you like it, that's all that matters, right?

May 2, 2010 2:16 PM ET #20 (permalink)

I play all extreme metal, and i use a Dean Razorback DB, and a Jackson Randy Rhodes Flying V Custom. Both were under $450 and both sound and play amazingly for my fast style. The Jackson will be cheaper, so I'd go with that if your on a budget. You can find a cheap but nice Jackson V almost anywhere nowadays. I got mine for $400 and now i see it on sale for $300 all the time. With the Deans, on the other hand, you get WAY better tone with the same play-ability, but its gonna cost you extra. Hope I was helpful, man.

May 2, 2010 2:19 PM ET #21 (permalink)

Oh and WOLF7, thats funny man i made a similar point about BC Rich's in another thread today [ http://www.metalunderground.com/forum/thread.cfm?threadid=832 ]. Guess I'm not the only one who feels this way.

(This post was last edited on May 2, 2010 at 2:20 PM ET.)

May 2, 2010 7:50 PM ET #22 (permalink)

thanks for the advice everybody

May 3, 2010 2:17 AM ET #23 (permalink)

I have an Ibanez RX40 and it is great for metal. It sounds great with overdrive and distortion, but the clean is a bit lacking. It can be picked up pretty cheap (mine was a gift from my dad's rocker friend).

P.S. I have a shitty Sonata amp, but it sounds great on a good amp.

EDIT: I had no idea what I was talking about back then. My guitar is shit, my amp is shit and my playing is shit.

(This post was last edited on February 5, 2011 at 1:03 AM ET.)

May 3, 2010 7:34 PM ET #24 (permalink)

*hears the mention of guitar guru needed *
OK... so Im a little late to the thread but....
I will try to keep it short this time... honestly.! lol

A good portion of all electric guitars.. no matter what brand name is on the headstock..
Are all made in the same factories in either Indonesia, China or Korea...
In all reality the quality is all the same... your only really buying the name on the headstock.!?
The Samick guitar factories make Epiphones and Washburns among many other brands.. so why pay more
for an Epiphone model.. when you could actually buy a Samick made "Greg Bennet" model for half the price and
get the same quality and components (Grover tuners etc)
Ive owned a couple and played many of these Greg Bennet models and they are all fairly decent playing guitars

In that price range you would get a lot more quality buying used as opposed to new..
Ebay or even pawn shops is the way to go..
If your looking for a guitar suited for metal/shredder style playing..? I would have to suggest finding an 80s Kramer Focus model....? ( well within the $200 range) There were several different models made to fit any preference.. whether its 1 Hum.. or 1Hum 2 singles etc... And the coolest thing about these Kramer Focus models is that they were all made in the ESP factory(Japan) for Kramer.. so the quality is second to none.!
Whatever you do.. stay away from the Kramer Stryker models.. they were made out of plywood and are pieces'
of shit.!!

Some other brands that havent been mentioned, but fit in your price range are Dillion, Agile, Jay Turser, Raven West...
Ive owned one of all of these brands and they are quite impressive for the money spent on them...
A few years back I bought two Jay Turser Les Pauls ( serpent neck inlay) for $250.. yeah two of them for that price.!
The factory PUs arent too bad... and the Grover tuners are decent too.!
And here again, most of these brands are made in the same factories as the better known brands.. but a lot of people
wont play them because they dont have that "cool" name on the headstock.!
First and foremost.. do some research on the brand and model your interested in... Harmony Central dot com... look
for guitar reviews.. there are tons of listings for most every guitar your going to come across.!

Alright, so after saying all of that... if you look at my profile you will see that I have some fairly decent and high priced
guitars in my toy collection... but Ive worked for many years to afford to have those babies :)

May 4, 2010 3:19 PM ET #25 (permalink)

I see nobody mentioned Peavey amps. I've got an old Peavey amp and head that I bought years ago secondhand, and that thing has some serious low-end distortion. If you're looking to play death, black, or thrash metal anyway, the guitar brand or quality itself doesn't really matter so much, unless you're doing solos..

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum