"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Hip-Hop

Posted in: Forum Home >> Non-Metal Music Discussion >> Hip-Hop

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 115 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 115 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Apr 27, 2010 5:51 PM ET #1 (permalink)

Ok, so there was a Hip-Hop thread in the general discussion board, but since it's been buried and we've had a load of new members in since, I thought the genre deserved it's own thread here. So, favourites? Who are you listening to at the moment? I'll kick things off there.

Favourites: Beastie Boys, Slick Rick, 2pac Ill Bill, Jedi Mind Tricks, House Of Pain, Cypress Hill, Public Enemy
What have I been listening to lately? : Necro, Public Enemy, Sabac, La Coka Nostra, Rakim, Biggie Smalls

(This post was last edited on April 27, 2010 at 6:28 PM ET.)

Apr 27, 2010 6:12 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Well, obviously there's 2Pac. I know that's an obvious choice but he's my favorite, ever. Aside from that, I really like Nas, Eminem, A Tribe Called Quest, Flobots, Dr. Dre, Big Hawk, Saul Williams, South Park Mexican, Lil Flip, NWA, Ludacris, Jae WD (friend of mine, he's actually pretty good), and Gym Class Heroes. UGK, Z-Ro and Trae are also alright.

Lately, I haven't really listened to very much hip-hop/rap to be quite honest.

Apr 27, 2010 7:23 PM ET #3 (permalink)

I've tried listening before, but I could never really get into hip hop... it never really resonated with me like metal does.

Apr 28, 2010 11:25 AM ET #4 (permalink)

Yo Nat, I can listen to some SPM from time to time. WIGGY WIGGY WIGGY!! HAHAHAHAHA! you know what it means!!

May 2, 2010 9:44 AM ET #5 (permalink)

I've never really gotten into Hip Hop/Rap. I used to listen to Public Enemy and NWA, plus some Ice Cube and Ice-T stuff when I was younger, the thing is, after a while all hip hop starts to sound exactly the same for me.

Having said that, there are some awesome albums by Public Enemy, basically anything from "Yo Bum Rush The Show" to "Apocalypse 91". They're all classics in the genre, in my opinion.
Then there's the filthy NWA stuff like the "100 miles and running" EP and "Niggaz4Life" which still sound pretty evil even now.
I think Dr. Dre's "2001" is awesome, and so is Ice-Ts "Home Invasion".

And that's it. That's all I know and care to know about Hip Hop/rap. I don't care for any Eminem's 50 or 20 cents, Ice this that or the others.
Have I missed out on something awesome?

May 2, 2010 10:18 AM ET #6 (permalink)

Fuck yes! Finally a thread on hip hop.

Been blasting some Geto Boys and Wu Tang lately a lot.

May 2, 2010 12:06 PM ET #7 (permalink)

All I used to listen to was Hip-Hop, but Metal has killed that genre for me. I always go back to Metal. Used to love Eminem though, occasionally still listen to him.

May 2, 2010 12:34 PM ET #8 (permalink)

You need to listen to some real old school hip hop.

May 2, 2010 8:48 PM ET #9 (permalink)

My Favorites: Jedi Mind Tricks, Ill Bill, Non Phixion, Army Of The Pharaohs, Wu-Tang Clan, KRS-One, Gravediggaz, Atmosphere, Celph Titled, Chino XL, Sage Francias, Public Enemy, N.W.A, Circle Of The Tyrants, Notorious B.I.G.

Lately been listening to a lot of KRS, that guy is a genius.

(This post was last edited on August 16, 2010 at 11:53 PM ET.)

May 10, 2010 11:36 PM ET #10 (permalink)

hip-hop/rap/R&B whatever...is NOT MUSIC!!!!! my god ppl...this is a METAL site, we promote ACTUAL musicians! not untalented ghetto crawlers that fail at poetry and pretend to play guitar i.e. lil' wayne. these so called "artists" wouldnt know art if picaso himself came up to a rapper and shoved his paint brushes up his ass! as for DJ boards...NOT MUSIC EITHER! taking someone elses music and fucking it up is NOT making music! it is NOT an artform, it is not a musical instrument, it is trash. a musical instrument is something you use to CREATE original music ONLY!

May 11, 2010 1:47 AM ET #11 (permalink)

^Geeeeeez, you know you're a redneck when...........

Your wife's hairdo was once ruined by a ceiling fan
You've been married three times and still have the same in-laws
You can't get married to your sweetheart because there's a law against it
You think loading a dishwasher means getting your wife drunk
Your toilet paper has page numbers on it
Somebody hollers "Hoe Down" and your girlfriend hits the floor
Someone in your family has died right after saying, "Hey y'all watch this"

Ever get sick of being narrow-minded?

May 11, 2010 6:38 AM ET #12 (permalink)

For something that isn't real music, hip hop is pretty damn awesome.

May 11, 2010 11:48 AM ET #13 (permalink)

One Be Lo, from Binary Star is so great, I've seen him a few times, everyone needs to get his albums, also Im a die hard Dead Prez fan, and Jean Grae is really good probably one of the best female rappers, also I like Zion I and Mr. Lif

May 11, 2010 12:12 PM ET #14 (permalink)

as far as I'm concerned hip hop and metal go hand in hand, they are both black power music

May 12, 2010 6:24 PM ET #15 (permalink)

^That took me a while, but get it now..................................... *not very funny*

May 13, 2010 1:15 PM ET #16 (permalink)

agreed with spagmo, not funny!

HOW THE FUCK IS "METAL" (BLACK POWER) ?!?!?!?!

May 13, 2010 4:29 PM ET #17 (permalink)

I think she meant that metal is dark and black is a predominant color in the music, black t-shirts, black metal, I dunno

May 14, 2010 2:10 AM ET #18 (permalink)

just recently rediscovered outkast after shamefully forgetting them. Jay z speaking out about the current state of hip hop has put him in heavy rotation for me lately too. as for faves of all time i have to go with nwa. My problems with censorship are heavily rooted in the straight outta compton album and besides, without them i wouldnt have dre cube fifty eminem snoop d12 nate dogg...and god knows who else

May 15, 2010 7:09 AM ET #19 (permalink)

I wish the Beasties would release the new album already. I love what I've heard so far.

May 15, 2010 4:18 PM ET #20 (permalink)

Come on Oz. No one on this site knows shit about Hip-Hop. But that La Coka Nostra not 2 bad.

May 17, 2010 2:06 PM ET #21 (permalink)

not trying to be funny.... by black I mean the blackness of the soul, night people, children of the night, outcasts, shadows, coolness, black hoodies, black t shirts, black metal, etc. both rap and metal embody these things and both are empowering to those who identify with the darker side

May 18, 2010 1:23 AM ET #22 (permalink)

WTF? what kinda rap do you listen to? "blackness of the soul" Don't generalize an entire genre now, not all hip-hop is night people, children of the night, outcasts, shadows, coolness, black hoodies, black t shirts. I definitely do not feel empowered by the dark side when I listen to rap, or metal to be quite honest. I'm a happy person.

May 18, 2010 9:54 AM ET #23 (permalink)

like i posted earlier, i listen to intelligent rap... one be lo, jedi mind, guru, mr. lif, nas, zion i, aceyalone, asheru and blue black..... i dont know, i am an artist and i just was trying to emphasise the power of black as a color, i mean like a good painting has to have shadows, and the night sky is black and beautiful..... white is a good color,too, but its just just so in our faces all the time, black is stigmatized, and metal and rap are music that embody blackness more so because they both rebel against our white washed society, i mean i am as pale as it gets, but i still like black power music, why is this offensive? i would think metal fans would agree

May 19, 2010 7:07 PM ET #24 (permalink)

i understand what u mean. Both are the music of the depraved. Rap from the perspective of the angry urban youth and metal more fom the standpoint of worldly discontent. Not to say they dont both borrow from those two standpoints. Immortal technique raps a lot about the state of the world as a whole, hence why so many metalheads listen to him. Slipknot and korn speak on a personal teen angst level,often exclaiming discontent with the status quo, and while elitists may discredit them, these are the metal bands most often listened to by rap fans. Theres a common thread, you just gotta look for it. (btw im not saying the reason people listen to rap or metal is solely for anger, im just taking the general approach. If people listened to dragonforce for its angry intent i think they would have way fewer fans lol)

May 19, 2010 7:58 PM ET #25 (permalink)

i love old school beastie boys. i listen to public enemy on occation. i used to be more into hip-hop, but meh. could never get into rap though.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Non-Metal Music Discussion forum