"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Advice Before Starting Drumming?

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> Advice Before Starting Drumming?

Displaying 21 posts
Displaying 21 posts
Apr 26, 2010 8:40 PM ET #1 (permalink)

As it says in my profile, I play keys/piano and I sing. However, I find that I cannot seem to get work with metal bands around here. So, I decided to try and take up something else - drumming! Everyone's always in dire need of drummers, it seems. I'd like any advice/tips/help any of you drummers can give me.

Thanks!
- Flora

(This post was last edited on April 26, 2010 at 8:43 PM ET.)

Apr 27, 2010 12:08 PM ET #2 (permalink)

It's a very noble cuase IN, but my drummer would advse you against it.

Apr 27, 2010 1:18 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Why?

Apr 27, 2010 3:50 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Many reasons. Just one is gear: drummers need a van or a truck to transport their gear and they have the most and heaviest gear in the band. Also, have you ever trid to sing while your drumming? Difficult to say the least, so be prepared to put singing on the back burner for quite some time.

Apr 27, 2010 6:35 PM ET #5 (permalink)

I don't really travel very much anyway, so I wouldn't need to move the drums around. And I'm sure I could work out some air balance technique or something for the vocals. :)

Apr 27, 2010 7:51 PM ET #6 (permalink)

I've been thinking about learning the drums just so I can write drum tracks and know what I'm doing. BG has good points though - also simple drumkits are more expensive than say a simple acoustic guitar - and there's no volume knob on drums so you need a good practise area.

EDIT: Anyone's thoughts on cheap electronic drumsets?

(This post was last edited on April 27, 2010 at 8:17 PM ET.)

Apr 27, 2010 11:08 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Well, I'm sure I could save up. *Sigh* Eventually...

Apr 28, 2010 3:15 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Also, i'm not saying you're not up to it, but it's extremely physical. I don't know of any other instrument that you can break a finger playing. Drumming to me, is more of a way of life and a life-long commitment.

Apr 28, 2010 4:28 PM ET #9 (permalink)

I've broken plenty of things in hockey so I'm willing to give this a go XD

Apr 28, 2010 6:34 PM ET #10 (permalink)

What a gal! *smacks IN on the ass*

Apr 29, 2010 4:00 AM ET #11 (permalink)

*smacks BG even harder*

Apr 29, 2010 12:09 PM ET #12 (permalink)

Damn... You cought my junk on that smack...

May 4, 2010 3:48 PM ET #13 (permalink)

I'm a bit late on this, but here's what advice I can give you: your arms and legs will need to bulk up, and you'll need to build up your endurance through practice, because drumming takes a lot of work. Invest in a good drum set (they certainly are expensive, but the higher the quality, the better the sound) and a double pedal if you're looking to play for any kind of speed metal band. And you *really* need to be able to play several different rhythms at once (hands, feet), which to me is the hardest part.. but endurance is the key.

May 4, 2010 3:59 PM ET #14 (permalink)

Yeah, that whole independent hand/foot movement thing is a bitch.

May 5, 2010 1:23 AM ET #15 (permalink)

If you have a good sense of rhythm, and I mean REALLY good, endurance, strength, money and a quiet place to practice then go for it.

May 5, 2010 10:42 AM ET #16 (permalink)

Number one tip: Start at an excruciatingly slow pace and play the simplest of rhythms to learn independent control of your limbs. Drumming takes hours a day of practice. 10 or 15 minutes a day will not cut it. I had to learn the hard way what my limitations were. When I started, I thought I would be able to play SLAYER, but for a while, all I could play was SLOPPY.

May 5, 2010 4:44 PM ET #17 (permalink)

I spoke to my drummer and as I suspected he said his best advice is don't start. Pick up an easier less demanding instrument that you can back out of if you find out it's not your cup of tea. However, he said if you have your heart set on it, establish a practice regiment for the same ammount of time (at least an hour, two hours was recommended) EVERY DAY. During this practice time work specifically on rudiments EVERY DAY. Rudiments, rudiments and more rudiments followed by plenty of rudiments complimented by rudiments and when you get sick and tired of rudiments, do some more rudiments... EVERY DAY. Oh... You also owe him 50 bucks for your first lesson.

May 9, 2010 8:38 AM ET #18 (permalink)

as a drummer i have to agree with BG 1's last comment. Rudiments over and over and over until ur eyes bleed and ur arms fall off from leporcy(sp) and then do even more rudiments. And when i say rudiments i mean things like simplistic beats and doing triplits and paradiddles over and over and 7stroke rolls and 11stroke rolls and things of that nature. Also work on getting all 4 limbs working independantly of each other and work on that over and over cuz thats what its gonna take to be able to play even the simplist drum tracks. Practice is key though. Like a few have said before me, at least an hour EVERY DAY and more when u can. Drumming isn't something u can just pick up and learn in a few months, it takes years and years of practice and a lot of pain lol.

May 10, 2010 12:41 AM ET #19 (permalink)

What if you're a guy? Do you just stick to the 4 or do you practice with the fifth limb as well? ;)

May 10, 2010 8:31 AM ET #20 (permalink)

i think it would be very painful to play with ur dick.....unless ur playing bass and ur name is murderface

May 10, 2010 1:32 PM ET #21 (permalink)

hanjob: Agreed on all fronts.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum