"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Floyd Rose

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> Floyd Rose

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 27 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 27 1 2 Last
Apr 26, 2010 6:08 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I personally LOVE mine and haven't ever had any problems with it. Anybody else have success/horror stories?

Apr 26, 2010 7:00 PM ET #2 (permalink)

I love mine on my Jackson when I'm pretending to be Jason Becker, but otherwise I don't use tremelo a lot when playing. I think if you're going to be a lead guitarist and want flashy solos, a FR is going to be real handy. Otherwise, it's just a big hassle of going out of tune, re-stringing takes an age and if you snap a string on stage you're in trouble.

I basically had a bunch of tuning problems which was a real bummer. I've lost most of the nuts from the neck now so it's all over rover but I'm happy with my other a fixed bridge.

Apr 27, 2010 12:42 AM ET #3 (permalink)

Personally I can't stand Floyd Rose or any floating bridge set-ups for that matter, to finicky and just downright frustrating. I really only play rhythm guitar so I like a fixed bridge, SG and Les Paul all the way.

Apr 27, 2010 12:01 PM ET #4 (permalink)

I've never had any tuning issues with mine. NONE. Maybe it's the guage strings I use, my tuning or how I set it up, but once she's in tune I don't have to mess with her for days at a time and even then it's all fine tuning and less of a hassle than my fixed bridge was. I don't do a lot of leads and mainly play rhythm, but it's nice to have when your doing the old grandiose endings, harmonic work and I also like to use it in tandem with my slide. Personally... I LOVE mine.

Apr 27, 2010 3:46 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Well that's cool man, I threw mine out the window!!!!

Apr 27, 2010 5:18 PM ET #6 (permalink)

Yeah, I have a sinking feeling that I just never used mine properly. No manual or instructions came with it, and the music shop guys were useless.

Apr 28, 2010 3:24 PM ET #7 (permalink)

The most commonly made mistake with the FR is beating the hell out of it. Dime was the best teacher for me. It's all in how you finesse it.

Apr 28, 2010 4:11 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Really? Cuz from what I've seen it looks like Dime used to beat the living shit out of his FL, his whole guitar for that matter.

Apr 28, 2010 6:40 PM ET #9 (permalink)

He uses very little movement at all on the bar in his leads. Sometimes just the tineist little tug. It's all in how you finesse it. At least that's what he told me on the "Cowboys" tour.

(This post was last edited on April 28, 2010 at 6:41 PM ET.)

Apr 29, 2010 1:18 AM ET #10 (permalink)

Oh, he told you in person? I'll shut up then.

Apr 29, 2010 1:24 AM ET #11 (permalink)

I think it's quite an art really - one that mainly gets abused for divebombs (in metal anyway not surf guitar or something). You can use it for some great subtle stuff, Steve Vai for example uses his tremelo often but gently and that's half the reason why he's so praised.

Apr 29, 2010 12:11 PM ET #12 (permalink)

Agreed Cynic. Those that have mastered it use it ever so sparingly and with a "velvet glove".

Apr 29, 2010 11:05 PM ET #13 (permalink)

...and with the pinkie out. Otherwise, you're a heathen.

May 2, 2010 9:11 AM ET #14 (permalink)

It's really a matter of learning how to tune the damn thing. I've been playing Floyd Rose guitars since 1992 so for me adjusting the springs in the back is fairly simple and easy operation.

By the way, I fucking hate changing strings on ANY guitar! I wish I'd be one of those dickheaded stars who'd had someone to do all that for me. I still feel like "oh crap, here we go again" every time I need to change a new set.

May 2, 2010 6:07 PM ET #15 (permalink)

Yeah me too man, I leave strings on a guitar WAY longer than I should. Actually have paid people to do it for me in the past, not much though

May 4, 2010 12:52 PM ET #16 (permalink)

Hmmmm. the old Floyd Rose pros and cons.!
First off, I have to say that its a whole different ball game if your using a "Licensed under" model or
an original Floyd Rose.!
Most of those cheap copies are nothing more than that... After getting my first Kramer with an original, Ive
had no tuning problems whatsoever... in fact, even now when Im on the road for weeks at a time, I can go
home and pick up any of my guitars and they're always in tune.. or perhaps just a twist of a fine tuner off..?

I can tell ya how I do mine... if its something ya already know... bear with me.. someone else may not.?
The easiest way to restring a Floyd bridge is to place something underneath the back to keep it at the right
setting.(I use part of a deck of cards.. or a little stack of business cards.)
and then do one string at a time... bring that new string somewhere close to the correct "tuned" position each time.

When tuning.. make sure all the lock nuts are loose and your fine tuners are set somewhere in the middle of the threads..??
Then start with the bottom and top stings... (the two Es) Bring them just a few cents above/higher then the desired tuning... then go to the next two strings.. 5th and 2nd.. bring them just a cent or so above the desired tuning... the middle two strings D and G should be tuned right on the money.! ( having a digital tuner helps immensly.!)
When this is accomlished, lock down the nuts and use your fine tuners to adjust any differences.!
Now, it all sounds kind of simple... but it takes awhile to get used to knowing exactly where everything needs to be
set etc.... but after a few times it becomes quite simple.! Honestly.!!
I only have a couple fixed bridge guitars in my collection... and I can restring a Floyd or Kahler guitar in only a couple
minutes longer than it takes to do my stop tail piece guitars.!

As far as setting up the action and proper alignment of a Floyd bridge... First of all.. a floating bridge when set up
correctly should float perfectly parralel with the body of the guitar.. this is done through adjustements of the bridge
screws and the tension springs in the back of the guitar.!
The part that sucks and takes time to get used to is, knowing how far to turn each screw... and then going back and
having to retune the guitar.. because with every turn of a screw.. the tuning changes and your back to starting all
over again.! Once again, it takes a lot of time fucking around, but once you get it figured out you too can charge
other guys money to set up their guitars for them.!
The local shop charges $50/hr for shop time... when I was home every night.. I had a half dozen guys/ young players
that would pay me $25 to change strings or tune their guitars for them.. $25/ for less than a half hour of work isnt too fucking bad.! Thats a bag o weed where Im from ;-)

May 4, 2010 1:30 PM ET #17 (permalink)

godlike: Good point. I never considered "licensed under" products. Lol. I thought everyone knew there's only one Floyd Rose.

May 4, 2010 4:47 PM ET #18 (permalink)

Bg1 - Hey fucker.. that there is a really good point too.. Pointing out the fact that I made a good point.! lol

Original Floyds are the only way to go.!!
A little known fact about Floyd Rose bridges... back in the early 80s,
Kramer guitars were the only manufacturer that Floyd sold bridges to.... so, if you are in the market for
an original Floyd Rose bridge... chances are you might just find an old Kramer or even one their Focus models
that came from the factory with an original Floyd.! Ive bought some of these old Kramers for less money than it
costs to buy a new bridge.! And buying the whole guitar will get you not only an original Floyd, but a set of Schaller
tuners and Schaller PUs too... And those old Schaller PUs scream bloody murder when it comes to playing metal \m/

(This post was last edited on May 4, 2010 at 4:49 PM ET.)

May 5, 2010 4:49 PM ET #19 (permalink)

Another excellent point (pointing out that I made a good point when I said you made a good point). I remember those Kramers. Especially the EVH model. lol. Never knew anybody who was such a devoted fanboi as to buy one but they did sound good. There's some really screaming PU's out there right now. I'ma have to do some serious tinkering before I set up another guitar.

May 5, 2010 8:10 PM ET #20 (permalink)

And once again.. An amazing point made by brother Blindgreed1.!!

Yeah, it was kind of crazy back in the 80s to see everyone and their brother playing Kramers... except me
and my brother that is.! I played a BC Rich and my brother played a Fender bass.!

May 6, 2010 10:12 PM ET #21 (permalink)

either your best friend or your nightmare... i have two guitars (i'm selling) that have the system... lately i'm preferring guitars without them cause i don't use the wammy bar much.

May 7, 2010 11:54 AM ET #22 (permalink)

I don't use it much either, but it's nice to have when you want to use it.

May 7, 2010 1:32 PM ET #23 (permalink)

I use the Floyd Rose mostly for some weirder stuff, but I don't do any crazy dive bomb stuff on it.

Hmm... there are SO many complaints here about the floating tremolo system here that it makes me wonder if the actual problem could be found in the set-up of your guitars, cause in my ESP and my old beaten Ibanez RG560 whenever I change strings and lock the system up, I really NEVER have any problems whatsoever with it staying in tune or otherwise. To prove that point, I just flew with one of my guitars (which went into the cargo) and I took it out of the case almost perfectly in-tune.

May 7, 2010 2:43 PM ET #24 (permalink)

Wolf: Personally, I think that is the case (set up). That's why I created the thread. People either love tham and wouldn't ever trade them or they hate them. I'm a lover myself. I've even noticed that my strings last longer than they did before I had the Floyd.

May 7, 2010 3:16 PM ET #25 (permalink)

Bg1, same here, I'd say that's it, cos I really don't have any problems with mine. None.

Just for anyone struggling with the Floyd Rose, as for the position of the floyd rose, a kind of a thumb rule is to make sure the tremolo is never leaning towards the strings. It's better to adjust the "spring plate" in the back so that the tremolo is 'lying' horizontally in-line with the body, or better, a notch back, towards the body, but Never forward.

(This post was last edited on May 21, 2010 at 3:55 PM ET.)

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum