"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Hip-Hop

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> Hip-Hop

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 32 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 32 1 2 Last
Jul 6, 2009 12:02 AM ET #1 (permalink)

I figured since we had all these possibilities to find out more about each other, I'd like to find out how many of our users are also fans of Hip-Hop. What's your favourite Hip-Hop album, artists? Who are you into at the moment? Soulja Boy or Ice-T? And all that type of thing.

Jul 6, 2009 12:12 AM ET #2 (permalink)

throught the suggestions of several on this site, I've become a fan of Immortal Technique, and the song "3rd World" is on my myspace. Thanks guys! namely you yourself ya dirty Brit.

I also find myself, after many relistens, THOUROUGLY anjoying the new Eminem album. Some great shit on there. "Slim shady; sounds like a fable to me, till he jumps out the fuckin toilet while you're takin a pee" :D

And hands down, the greatest Rap album of all time imo, I daresay my favorite music album of all time, even above all my metal, has got to be "Straight Outta Compton" "Express yourself" has got to be one of Dre's greatest lyrical masterpieces of all tme.

Jul 6, 2009 12:17 AM ET #3 (permalink)

Before I was into metal I was into rap. Eminem, DMX, Tupac, Ludacris, Ja Rule, Public Enemy and Dr. Dre were my favorites. I still listen to the good stuff, but not much.

Jul 6, 2009 12:19 AM ET #4 (permalink)

I haven't heard much of the new Eminem record. I heard Crack A Bottle and We Made You and thought they were awful. Any songs in particular worth reccomending?

And I agree, Straight Outta Compton may be the album to end all albums!

Jul 6, 2009 12:28 AM ET #5 (permalink)

Yeah, I listened to all of Eminem's new one on myspace and thought that it was total garbage. By far his worst album to date.

Oh, man. Yeah, 'Straight Outta Compton' is a classic, agreed! I haven't listened to that album in ages.

Jul 6, 2009 12:38 AM ET #6 (permalink)

I grew up in an area where Rap dominated the music charts. Therefore, I had no choice but to listen to it up until 10th grade where I discovered Metal. Anyways, I only listened to "west coast gangsta rap." Now I've completely lost connection with it and I don't regret anything.

\,,l "Bad Attitude" by Hellion l,,/

Jul 6, 2009 1:13 AM ET #7 (permalink)

Yeah I'm into it. Quite a fan of Dr. Dre and Eminem, actually when I think about it The Eminem Show is one of my favorite albums.
Also I like stuff from here, like Hilltop Hoods who for some reason are number one here in our album charts.

Jul 6, 2009 1:47 AM ET #8 (permalink)

My flatmate is always giving me recommendations for K'Naan and Lil' Wayne. That's pretty much where my rap knowledge ends.

Jul 6, 2009 8:23 AM ET #9 (permalink)

I listened to some rap back in the day. MC Hammer before he sold out, LL Cool J, Rob Base... Was done with it by the time Public Enemy et al got popular. Although I picked up the Public Enemy album when they collaborated with Anthrax and it had a couple good songs on it. I must admit I actually did pick up an Eminem album a while back. It had mad beats, but I got out of that phase quickly again.

Jul 6, 2009 11:28 AM ET #10 (permalink)

Ouch, Cynic. Lil' Wayne is fucking terrible. I'm not sure if my hatred for him or Soulja Boy is greater. Anyway, as far as hip op and rap go, there's a handful of stuff I listen to.
SPM, 2Pac, Flobots, Slim Thug, Immortal Technique, Big Hawk, UGK, Gym Class Heroes, Ludacris, and 3oh!3 are all good to me. Some Trae, Dr. Dre, and N.W.A. stuff can range from terrible to great.

Jul 6, 2009 11:43 AM ET #11 (permalink)

I met Lil Wayne in Vegas once. I was all decked out in my spikes and leather looking metal as fuck. I was taking a piss and he walked into the bathroom at Caesars with 2 body guards. I shook it off and turned around to wash my hands and he said something (I wasn't able to understand either because I am deaf or maybe I just don't speak the same language) and referred to me a "Killah". I said "what"? and all three fell out laughing. Later I saw one of his videos and figured out what was so funny. WHAT!

Jul 6, 2009 12:11 PM ET #12 (permalink)

As far as Rap Hip-Hop

N.WA.
MC REN
2PAC
NAUGHTY BY NATURE
RBX
RUN D.M.C.
LL COOL J
PUBLIC ENEMY
ONYX
A TRIBE CALLED QUEST
ICE CUBE
DA LENCH MOB
CYPRESS HILL
WU TANG
SLICK RICK
OUTKAST
SNOPP DOGG
DR.DRE

Just a short list.

Jul 6, 2009 12:14 PM ET #13 (permalink)

How could I forget the mean dog.

DMX

Jul 6, 2009 12:22 PM ET #14 (permalink)

It's been a very long time since I've listened to any rap music (my friends in high school were obsessed with it, so naturally I found a few who I liked at the time, but that trend has long past), but here's the short list of those who I did like:

NWA (naturally, "Straight Outta Compton" was killer, but none of my friends liked them, I just kind of dug deeper than they did)
Dr. Dre
Eazy E
Ice Cube
Snoop Dogg (just a few songs)
Eminem (first 2 albums were all I heard before I got bored by rap)
and Bone Thugs-N-Harmony (any avid fan of hip-hop should check these guys out, they're fantastic as far as rap goes)

Jul 6, 2009 12:22 PM ET #15 (permalink)

Wu Tang Clan ain't nothin' to fuck wif! Wu Tang Clan ain't nothin' to fuck wif! lol

Jul 6, 2009 12:25 PM ET #16 (permalink)

PoV -- You ever see the Chappelle's Show episode with Wu-Tang Financial? Quality.

Jul 6, 2009 12:31 PM ET #17 (permalink)

Damn straight on the WU - TANG!!!!

As far as Straight Outta Compton. ICE CUBE and MC REN
don't get enough credit for writing close to all the lyrics for
this CD.

Jul 6, 2009 3:07 PM ET #18 (permalink)

PoV - Gym Class Heros? *barf* :P

Jul 6, 2009 5:17 PM ET #19 (permalink)

God damn you have some awesome stories BG!

Jul 6, 2009 6:59 PM ET #20 (permalink)

Cynic: It's all I got for a Hip-Hop topic.

Jul 6, 2009 7:00 PM ET #21 (permalink)

oz
cant help you with this one not into hiphop that much
dont know if we can bodycount as hiphop these i like
all my life stayed true to metal

bg indeed a great story

Jul 6, 2009 11:38 PM ET #22 (permalink)

I don't listen to rap much anymore but the only artists I recall liking are 2pac, LL Cool J, and Eminem.

Jul 7, 2009 1:20 AM ET #23 (permalink)

Haha, yepp Terminator...Gym Class Heroes. A bit poppy but still good. I will say that the song "Cookie Jar" disgusts me though.

Jul 7, 2009 10:01 AM ET #24 (permalink)

Anyone here like La Coka Nostra? Debut album comes out next week.

Jul 7, 2009 11:10 AM ET #25 (permalink)

Red

No hip hop for me. i don't understand that music. that doesn't mean it is not good, it's just me...I don't get it at all.

It bores me to death...but like I said, I respect people who like it...so no war please !

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum