"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Hardcore Bands

Posted in: Forum Home >> Core >> Hardcore Bands

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 44 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 44 1 2 Last
Apr 20, 2010 7:20 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I know there is a couple of people on here who listened to the old school hardcore stuff. Can you guys list some goo Hardcore bands as in stuff like Hatebreed, Agnostic Front, and others.

Apr 20, 2010 7:30 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Not trying to be a grumpy-ass (just comes naturally), but come on, did you really have to make a new thread?

For recommendations, ask here.

http://www.metalunderground.com/forum/thread.cfm?threadid=771

Hell, there's already a whole thread with plenty of replies where somebody asked what for what you did, among other -core sub-genres.

http://www.metalunderground.com/forum/thread.cfm?threadid=497

(This post was last edited on April 20, 2010 at 7:33 PM ET.)

Apr 20, 2010 8:05 PM ET #3 (permalink)

oh my bad i didn't take the time to look.

Apr 20, 2010 8:24 PM ET #4 (permalink)

It's okay, not like you're the only one who's done it. Now ya know.

Apr 20, 2010 10:41 PM ET #5 (permalink)

I reckon I could help ya out a bit........

Black Flag, Sick Of It All, Terror,
Minor Threat, Madball, Death Before Dishonor,
Bad Brains, Cro-Mags, Sworn Enemy,
Dead Kennedys, Murphy's Law, The Warriors,
SS Decontrol, Gorilla Biscuits, Throwdown,
Gang Green, Sheer Terror, Death Threat,
Negative FX, Judge,
Reagan Youth, Vision Of Disorder,
The Descendants, Crumbsuckers,
D.I.,
Adolescents,

That oughta do ya.

(This post was last edited on April 20, 2010 at 10:45 PM ET.)

Apr 27, 2010 9:49 AM ET #6 (permalink)

I was just checking out Alpha Jerk and they're pretty fucking good! Derrick Green (who is now in Sepultura) was the singer. Nothing amazing but some good hardcore all the same.

Jun 29, 2010 8:40 AM ET #7 (permalink)

Sick Of it All, Agnostic Front, Killing Time, Shai Hulud, and my personal favorite Discharge.

@Spaghetti: Throwdown? Really? Aren't they groove metal? :S

Jun 29, 2010 3:00 PM ET #8 (permalink)

^the line between hardcore and groove metal is so thin sometimes that i wouldnt even bother arguing the point. To me, Throwdown has a huge hardcore sound, but theyve more recently pulled themselves into a more metallic groove sound like you said. Sworn Enemy is a really heavily metallized hardcore band that he mentioned too.

Jun 29, 2010 5:43 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Screamjyser: Yeah these days Throwdown are more of a groove thrash/metalcore band, but, if you listen to their older stuff like Haymaker and Vendetta it is straight up hardcore. When I first got into them they were real hardcore and hadn't started with the groovy thrash stuff yet so to me they'll always be seen as a hardcore band.

Jun 30, 2010 7:15 PM ET #10 (permalink)

I love me some Throwdown.
I like Vendetta album.
The breakdown in the actual song Vendetta , is soo badass ehh!

Jul 1, 2010 6:41 AM ET #11 (permalink)

Ahh, I see... my bad, my experience with throwdown has always been an awesome groove metal band. Speaking of which, their groove metal stuff IMO ain't bad, although I did give the earlier 'core albums you suggested a listen (i thought they were pretty damn awesome). But i'm sure they've probably had a bad rap over the groove metal transition? I'll expect the hardcore fans to be tough on genre changes.

Jul 1, 2010 6:42 AM ET #12 (permalink)

A bit too much pantera influence tho :S

Jul 1, 2010 5:46 PM ET #13 (permalink)

I don't think they sound anything like Pantera.
Maybe his vocals, That's about it.

They have a Groove Metal style. I don't think the guitar, the bass , the solo's, the song structure and the all around sound , sounds anything like Pantera.
Maybe a watered down version?

Thier latest cd Deathless remindes me of something else. The vocals sound a bit like Layne from Alice In Chains.

Jul 1, 2010 7:15 PM ET #14 (permalink)

Its almost impossible to be a groove metal band and not fall into pantera comparisons. They so dominated and capitalized the sound that people practically define the genre by the way they sounded, completely forgetting about sepultura and white zombie. Lamb of god gets the same rap. Dont fret about it.

Jul 1, 2010 11:05 PM ET #15 (permalink)

Yeah, I guess i get what you mean.

It's just that whenever I check out a groove metal band all i hear is seriously pantera. Maybe not throwdown, but other bands labeled as GM always just sound like clones of pantera to me - it makes me kinda sick.

@Fan: I have to agree on that one. What I hate are just the LOG fanatics that run around as if the only band on earth was Lamb of God.

Jul 2, 2010 12:13 AM ET #16 (permalink)

Throwdown sounds to me more like a Sepultura with a bit of Pantera thrown in the mix.

I honestly hate to compair bands. Throwdown is unique and badass at what they do.

Jul 3, 2010 1:56 AM ET #17 (permalink)

Agreed on that last note!

Jul 3, 2010 2:31 AM ET #18 (permalink)

Yeah throwdown remind me way more of Chaos A.D. Sepultura than Pantera. Although Throwdown do sound quite a bit like Pantera on a couple songs from Venom & Tears, but anything they did before that sounds nothing like them at all.

Jul 3, 2010 8:22 PM ET #19 (permalink)

Spag mo- I agree man. The old throwdown is awesome. It's fight music I think. New throwdown is definatley chaos ad sepultura with a Curley whirley thrown in. It's good. I prefer venom & tears and vendetta over haymaker and deathless.

Jul 3, 2010 11:22 PM ET #20 (permalink)

I'm way late on this thread.

Throwdown is one of those bands I never really checked out, with the exception of their hilarious cover of "Baby Got Back." I may have to dig a little deeper on these guys now. Thanks for the recommendation, guys.

Jul 4, 2010 12:46 AM ET #21 (permalink)

Trendkill: Yeah me too dude, Venom & Tears and Vendetta are my favorites as well. Not too big a' fan of Deathless, most of those songs just seem to run together and they're so mid-tempo and formulaic. Just another classic example of a band losing it's roots and trying to expand into more mainstream territory in my opinion, never would've thought Throwdown to a band to make that move.

Jul 4, 2010 4:29 AM ET #22 (permalink)

Definatley spag-mo. I like Skeleton Vanguard off Deathless. That songs badass. Although the rest off the album just flows mid pace like you said. I'd like them to remember what music they made that got them to the popular status they are at now. Hopefully the next cd is just as good as venom & tears.

Jul 5, 2010 1:02 AM ET #23 (permalink)

Venom and Tears was definitely great but I liked how Vendetta still retained some of the hardcore influence. Definitely my favorite album. The World Behind, Burn, and Speak the Truth are awesome songs.

@Trendkill: Agreed, the new album I'm hoping will bring back some good 'ole core.

Jul 5, 2010 10:40 PM ET #24 (permalink)

Yah Brother!

I recently bought As I Lay Dying - The Powerless Rise.
Fuck its heavy and good.

Anyone else into this CD?

Jul 5, 2010 10:40 PM ET #25 (permalink)

Yah Brother!

I recently bought As I Lay Dying - The Powerless Rise.
Fuck its heavy and good.

Anyone else into this CD?

Reply to Discussion or Return to Core forum