"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Power/Fantasy Metal.

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> Power/Fantasy Metal.

Displaying 10 posts
Displaying 10 posts
Jul 21, 2009 3:42 PM ET #1 (permalink)

Where have all these amazing bands gone. All we have now is Dragonforce. I know that there are bands like Manowar and Moonspell that are still around making great music but we need a resurgence of great power metal bands like in the days of Rhapsody. Even if they are more down the vein of Amon Amarth. We just need epic back in metal. Tell me if I am wrong.

Jul 21, 2009 6:48 PM ET #2 (permalink)

^check out Auvernia. I'm not much for power metal, but those guys are definitely doing something fun with the genre.

Jul 21, 2009 9:50 PM ET #3 (permalink)

I think there's plenty of power metal out there. We don't need an over abundance of 80's/hair-style power metal bands any more than we need the dime a dozen metalcore bands. That's what kills genres.

I don't like flair over heavy at all, hence my lack of love for pure power metal. But I have found myself really enjoying those bands that mix power metal with other genres such as thrash (3 Inches of Blood), doom (Wishdoom) and other more extreme sounds like Auvernia does.

Jul 21, 2009 11:25 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Blind Fucking Guardian people!!!!!

Jul 22, 2009 12:02 AM ET #5 (permalink)

I like some Blind Guardian a lot but other times they exceed my cheese threshold for good metal. I prefer Demons & Wizards anyway.

Jul 22, 2009 4:41 PM ET #6 (permalink)

Did somebody call my name? Oh.. MY BAD. SHIT. Here's my take on power metal. I respect Dream Theater and some of the pioneers because they're outstanding musicians, but I don't own any power metal. I also completely despize Dragonforce.

Just not my cup of tea.

Jul 22, 2009 5:35 PM ET #7 (permalink)

i agree deathbringer, but more for a general sense of metal. every sub genre of metal has the cliches of the genre. i find myself gravitate more towards the bands that mix stuff up a bit.

Jul 24, 2009 7:25 PM ET #8 (permalink)

check out a dutch band vengeance and mac 11
cool power metal
old school stuff

Jul 24, 2009 7:50 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Y

Check out Ram from Sweden. They're power metal. I generally hate power metal as I've only heard a few good ones and Ram is at the top. The track "Awakening the Chimaera" has Eric Danielsson of Watain adding some vocals, which really does fit, though you might think it wouldn't.

http://www.myspace.com/rammetal

Jul 25, 2009 4:08 AM ET #10 (permalink)

Does anyone like Custard? They're kind of DragonForce-y without the lameness of being DragonForce. By which I mean, they didn't do the whole "we got famous because of a game even though we can't actually play our songs" thing. I can dig 'em.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum