"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Replying to CD Reviews?

Posted in: Forum Home >> Bugs Reports, Suggestions, and Feedback >> Replying to CD Reviews?

Displaying 9 posts
Displaying 9 posts
Mar 25, 2010 2:20 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I think it would be a great feature to be able to reply to CD reviews on the main page, so site users could post their own opinions about some of the CDs that get reviewed on MU. There are a lot of bands that I'd like to check out from this site, but I may be more inclined to do so if I find other users who rave about the same band/CD. Anyway, just an idea. :)

Mar 26, 2010 7:33 AM ET #2 (permalink)

yeah, that's a really good idea.

Mar 26, 2010 6:26 PM ET #3 (permalink)

I definitely plan to let users write their own short reviews. I do not plan on allowing "commenting" on reviews, however, as I've seen that turn very ugly on many sites that allow it.

Mar 28, 2010 11:58 AM ET #4 (permalink)

good idea
let only certain people who are long time members do a review and the ones who write comon sense about music

Mar 28, 2010 5:45 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Truth be told ive had the same wish myself from time. Wishing to either add a bit or at least ask something more of a reviewer. I wont lie though, there are occasions when something a bit more crude comes to mind, the wrath album by lamb of god review had me pissed for instance. Whoever reviewed it sounded like they had mark mortons balls in their mouth, it was so worshipful and biased. So taking into account that even I, oh biter of toungues and user of high level vocab words that i am, you know, a proper gentleman and all that, even I could end up leaving comments about fellating band members, so i understand the concern perfectly about allowing comments. I dont suggest nor reccommend it.

Mar 28, 2010 5:53 PM ET #6 (permalink)

I do approve allowing alternate reviews however. Bias is going to be present with a lot of bands and their fans reviewing them. Getting two or more sides can certaintly help weed it out though. If its just another staff member that makes it easier, as opposed to letting some 4000+ members email you their opinion on the new anthrax album and why belladona should rejoin the band. :p

Mar 28, 2010 6:18 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Unless I know the reviewer thru his or her previous reviews, I treat them all with a fair degree of caution. So I think allowing others to respond to a review does have its merits. I see your point, DB, how it could turn nasty if the latest offering by someone's beloved band is given a pasting, but perhaps the replies could be limited to a basic "I agree"/"I disagree" post, and anyone getting personal and offensive could have their post deleted by your good self.

Apr 1, 2010 2:09 PM ET #8 (permalink)

db & FAN: Never thought about it like that. Yeah, that could get pretty ugly pretty fast.

May 14, 2010 2:57 AM ET #9 (permalink)

1. Did i call it on belladonna or what? and 2. I really think we need alternate reviews for most albums. Somebody just gave my precious brain drill album two out of five,and the reasons given for why it sucked are the same reasons why i fucking love the band in the first place. You cant give somebody who listens to prog power doom an extreme tech death album and expect them to know what to do with it. Its just downright unfair to the review reader.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Bugs Reports, Suggestions, and Feedback forum