"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Pagan metal

Posted in: Forum Home >> Extreme Metal >> Pagan metal

Displaying 24 posts
Displaying 24 posts
Mar 24, 2010 10:36 AM ET #1 (permalink)

Ana

So,anyone?

Bands such as Arkona, Skyforger, Eluveitie, Žrec... even my band Stribog :)

Mar 24, 2010 8:36 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Hells yeah!

Im into Arkona, Eluveitie, Equilibrium, Korpiklaani and some others that I cant think of right now.

*Im sure LivingDeadBeat will be in here any second now. :)*

(This post was last edited on March 24, 2010 at 9:18 PM ET.)

Mar 24, 2010 8:59 PM ET #3 (permalink)

My favorite Pagan band is TYR, I also like Korpiklaani, some Eluveitie, and Dark Forest(Can)

Mar 24, 2010 10:56 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Turisas!

Mar 25, 2010 5:30 AM ET #5 (permalink)

Ana

Nice :)

Mar 25, 2010 12:18 PM ET #6 (permalink)

im not gonna lie i never listened to pagan metal before but i went and looked at 2 of the bands first listed and i really liked it so thx for introducing it to me

oh and i listen to Ensiferum but i dont know what genre they belong to. but they get down either way

(This post was last edited on March 25, 2010 at 12:20 PM ET.)

Mar 25, 2010 8:24 PM ET #7 (permalink)

In addition to the good ones already named, I'll add: Primordial, Myrkgrav, Scald, Moonsorrow, Geasa.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something I'm going to kick myself for.

(This post was last edited on March 25, 2010 at 8:27 PM ET.)

Mar 25, 2010 9:28 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Looks like I'm late to the party. Did somebody say PAGAN METAL?

Eluveitie, Asenblut, Arkona, Nidhogg, Pagan Blood, Amorphis, Turisas, Dragobrath. Yum yum.

Mar 25, 2010 9:55 PM ET #9 (permalink)

^Wow, Summit was right... Anyway Amorphis is Pagan? I didn't know that.

What does Pagan really mean anyway? What makes it Pagan?

Mar 25, 2010 10:11 PM ET #10 (permalink)

Likewise I didn't know Korpiklaani were pagan, I thought you'd call them Folk metal. Only heard them once and that was when I saw them at Graspop 2008. Wasn't a huge fan of the music but they were alot of fun live.

Mar 25, 2010 10:14 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Yeah, fuck, Amorphis has been included in so many different genres - melodeath/folk/doom/whathaveyou - I figured I'd throw em up.

Mar 25, 2010 10:19 PM ET #12 (permalink)

Pagan lyrical themes/band culture are the only thing that ties Pagan metal bands together. Otherwise they can already be described with other genre. Viking metal is a little different since it has a distinctive epic sound, mixed with black metal (i.e. defined by Bathory).

Personally I prefer my power metal to be power metal, and folk metal to be mixed heavily with black metal. i.e., Huldrefolk, Wyrd, Moonsorrow, Drudkh - and most of all, Falkenbach.

Mar 25, 2010 10:56 PM ET #13 (permalink)

I don't think they're pagan, but as far as folk metal goes, I've gotta give a shout-out for Suidakra, since I haven't seen them mentioned yet.

Mar 26, 2010 12:18 AM ET #14 (permalink)

Hate to admit I've not had the chance to get into any pagan metal yet. I listen to a lot of Viking metal and black metal, but just haven't had the opportunity. I'll have to check it out.

Mar 26, 2010 10:33 PM ET #15 (permalink)

Holy shit! I totaly forgot about Drudkh! How could I? Good call, that band is damn GOOD! (Im way more excited than I should be...)

Apr 2, 2010 4:19 PM ET #16 (permalink)

what's the difference between Pagan and Folk metal? can someone enlighten me?

Apr 2, 2010 5:22 PM ET #17 (permalink)

I could be totally wrong since I've only been listening to this stuff for a short time, so anyone please feel free to correct me. In my opinion it's a small difference, actually more about the lyrics than the music. Pagan metal is about pre-Christian traditions of some culture or region, but is closely related to folk metal which combines heavy metal with traditional folk music. Folk metal lyrics are about paganism, history, nature, mythology, fantasy, etc.

Apr 2, 2010 7:08 PM ET #18 (permalink)

I'd put it this way: "Folk Metal" is a musical style. "Pagan Metal" is a collection of lyrical themes. Thus, there is nothing requiring that one have anything to do with the other. But for a variety of reasons, the two categories happen to have considerable overlap.

Apr 2, 2010 7:21 PM ET #19 (permalink)

yeah, seeing as Kampfar could then technically be called Pagan metal but they sound nothing like Eluveitie or Equilibrium...

Apr 2, 2010 7:41 PM ET #20 (permalink)

"Folk Metal" itself is a pretty broad categorization, since it's "what type(s) of folk music?" combined with "what type(s) of Metal?" and "in what proportions?" -- the mix & match possibilities are very numerous.

Apr 2, 2010 11:21 PM ET #21 (permalink)

"Pagan Metal" seems even more obscure, if you ask me...but there's some good fuckin' bands in there, so it's ok

Apr 3, 2010 10:03 AM ET #22 (permalink)

Yeah, that about sums it up.

Apr 4, 2010 10:28 AM ET #23 (permalink)

ah, all I care about is that I get to see Equilibrium at Wacken :)

Apr 5, 2010 7:22 PM ET #24 (permalink)

I'm jealous =^p

Reply to Discussion or Return to Extreme Metal forum