"some music was meant to stay underground..."

70000 Tons of Metal - The World's Biggest Heavy Metal Cruise

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Neo-folk ambiental music

Posted in: Forum Home >> Non-Metal Music Discussion >> Neo-folk ambiental music

Displaying 7 posts
Displaying 7 posts
Mar 24, 2010 10:34 AM ET #1 (permalink)

Ana

One of my favorite genres of music :)
Check out artists such as: Hagalaz Runedance, Nebelhexe, Azam Ali, Vas, Stellmara, Irfan, Nyaz, Loreena Mckennitt...

Mar 26, 2010 11:11 PM ET #2 (permalink)

WOW! I didnt even know a genre like this existed. Ive always like ambience and folk so Ill defiently check em out. Thanks!!

Mar 26, 2010 11:14 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Ok. Two things here Ana. What the 'F' is neo folk and what makes it different from folk? Secondly, Ive actualy heard Nebelhexe before. I love that stuff. I usualy listen to it before I go to bed. Ill check out the other bands and let you know what I think. Thanks.

Mar 30, 2010 8:31 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Loreena Mckennitt? Ewwwwww!!

Haven't heard the others you mentioned. Oh, by the by, what's "ambiental"? Is that like, ambient mixed with oriental?? Because I don't even know what to think about that, or how it would mix with folk music, particularly neo-folk music, which is apparently something.

Mar 30, 2010 9:03 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Well I'm guessing she means ambiental as an adjective, so as to lessen the power of the term ambient in the phrase. i.e., if she had just said ambient metal, that implies she's looking for ambient music not just music that has ambient parts/influences. Genre's are essentially descriptions and so the difference between a genre and an adjective is often blurred. But generally people seem to use adjectives to describe the lesser prominent features of a band.

imo :)

Mar 30, 2010 11:23 PM ET #6 (permalink)

I think the distinction between genre and adjective is in position. For example, progressive classic metal might differ heavily from classic progressive metal. I mean, I don't call ambient black metal 'black ambient metal' - actually those two would probably sound exactly the same - but it's all about putting the adjective before the genre name for me, the other way around seems a bit off somehow. Besides, 'ambiental' isn't really a word, is it? Ambient neo-folk music might have made some kind of sense, or even neo-folk ambient music to a lesser degree, but 'neo-folk ambiental music' is just silly. That's my point. But yeah, I see yours.

Mar 30, 2010 11:38 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Well said. Err no I don't think ambiental is a word either, though making up words is sometimes fun, I do it all the times in my reviews. If I ever get my band started I'll call it doomgressive or shoe doom or something just to annoy people :P

Reply to Discussion or Return to Non-Metal Music Discussion forum