"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Wah Pedals

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> Wah Pedals

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 31 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 31 1 2 Last
Jul 5, 2009 11:48 PM ET #1 (permalink)

Any recommendations? I'm leaning towards a BOSS PW-10 V-Wah at the moment. I've read plenty of positive reviews on it's performance and durablility.

Any advice or tips would be gladly appreciated.

\,,l "Burning The Witches" by Warlock l,,/

Jul 5, 2009 11:50 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Hi, this isn't Diamond Oz but Kirk Hammett. All I can tell you about wah wah pedals is to use them in your solos as much as humanly possible!

Jul 5, 2009 11:54 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Oh thank you Mr. Hammett ! I'll make sure to overload on wah when playing some of my lead's. Is that a tip that Mr. Satriani passed on to you?

Jul 5, 2009 11:57 PM ET #4 (permalink)

He said if you got two guys in your band that fight alot, just dive head first into a wah induced solo and everything will be fine.

Jul 6, 2009 12:02 AM ET #5 (permalink)

Before you buy I'd scout youtube for BOSS vs. (pedal). Sometimes you might find a nice alternative and give yourself a unique sound. Other than that your never going to get a bad pedal going BOSS.

Jul 6, 2009 12:06 AM ET #6 (permalink)

like Cynic said, you just might find a pedal that's "LIKE A BOSS" (look it up on youtube, or my joke wont make sense and I look like an ass)

Jul 6, 2009 12:22 AM ET #7 (permalink)

BOSS's are always quality. Dunlop cry baby's (the original) are also excellent wah-wahs.

Jul 6, 2009 12:44 AM ET #8 (permalink)

Yeah I saw some vids on youtube where they were put up against other pedals but, most of them seemed to be out of my price range. I had my eyes on a Dunlop pedal but I compared it to my current choice and it blew it away! I remember Godlike mentioning somehwere that he owned an effects pedal with multiple features including a stocked wah effect but I can't remember the name of the product.

Jul 6, 2009 9:08 AM ET #9 (permalink)

Digitech is the brand that Ive been using for the last 5-6
years.. Fantastic quality and decent prices too.!
Whether you are looking for just a wah pedal or multi
effects all in the same package. Priced anywhere from
$75 - $500.. they are certainly able to fit into anyone's budget.!

But then, there really isn't anything that compares to a good old Morley wah.! I have one that has been around since the late 70s and it still works like new and has never had a problem.!

The comments posted above are only the personal opinions of the writer ;-)

Jul 6, 2009 11:13 AM ET #10 (permalink)

Strange... My comment didn't post. Anyway, what I said was that I prefer the origional, but they can be pricey and delicate. Still... I LOVE the sound.

Jul 6, 2009 11:23 AM ET #11 (permalink)

I personally use Dunlop wah pedals for my bass (killer sound!) and a Digitech multi-effects station w/ wah pedal for my guitar, and neither has ever given me any problems. But if you're not looking to spend $400 on a multi-effects station and just want the wah pedal, I'd personally go with either Digitech or Dunlop, but I've heard great things about BOSS pedals as well. It really just depends on the sound you're looking for.

Jul 6, 2009 3:12 PM ET #12 (permalink)

Digitech has recently released a new line of multi effects units.. which are reasonably priced from $75-$500.!
This means that all of their previous models are being sold
at ridiculously low prices.!
Check out Ebay or other sites.. Ive seen them as low as half of the original price, just to get rid of the "old stock".!

The newer models have a few more amp models and other goodies.. but its all basically the same technology as they've
used before.! One of the only other noticeable differences is that they are now black instead of silver.!

Jul 6, 2009 8:30 PM ET #13 (permalink)

I always liked Vox and crybabys

Jul 8, 2009 1:36 AM ET #14 (permalink)

Digitech is what I was looking for...thanks guys

Jul 8, 2009 9:53 AM ET #15 (permalink)

No problem.! Hope you find what your looking for.!?

Jul 31, 2009 5:31 PM ET #16 (permalink)

Build your own. It isn't that difficult to learn to use solder and there isn't really even that many parts to put together. Saves you about 1/2 price if you buy the right kit. Quality usually varies depending on "ingredients" and the know-how to set it up. But I think it was worth it.

Oct 9, 2009 8:05 PM ET #17 (permalink)

shredder did you ever get your pedal? i have been going back and forth with the idea of getting a dimebag crybaby from hell or the morley bad horsie 2. i need to get down to a store and try them out. i am leaning more toward the morley right now for the fact that it is spring sensetive and turns on when you touch it and turns off when you remove your foot.

Oct 13, 2009 3:13 AM ET #18 (permalink)

AGENT - Nah...It was a "wants vs needs" situation. Although I did try out a few of them at a guitar shop. Let me tell you, VOX's "Big Bad Wah" is one beautiful effect-delivering baby! I'm taking that sucker home next time around.

Oct 13, 2009 2:43 PM ET #19 (permalink)

yeah i hear you on the wants vs needs, i am having that right now too. i am picking up my ibanez this friday and a hardshell case, my wife was going to get me a pedal and now i am going to have her get the case so we can save money for a vegas trip ( i almost forgot our first year anniversary is this jan). i am going to pass on my amp too until about feb or march. but we have never been to vegas and it will be worth the experience. i will check out that vox thouhg, thanks.

Oct 15, 2009 10:04 AM ET #20 (permalink)

It really depends what you´re looking for. I´ve got the Dunlop Dime wah which is great (u can select the freq range with a 6position pot plus the Q range, tone and Vol and its got a boost switch as well) but sometimes I feel it gives you almoyt too many options, so I mess around with the Digitech RP250s simulations as well, few of which sound pretty good. Its really all up to what you like.
The Dunlop CryBabys all have a really strong, solid sound. Morley´s are great too, but with a (in general) a smaller sweep scale and they sound a bit darker (to my ears) and Voxes are the most bright sounding. They almost have a surf guitar kind of quality to them... which will of course sound pretty fucking evil on high gain tones.

Once again... my opinions. Its not that I try to be some sort of "know it all" expert.

Oct 20, 2009 3:55 PM ET #21 (permalink)

does the dimebag wah take a lot of tone from your guitar. i guess this is the main thing i am wondering.

Oct 28, 2009 9:10 AM ET #22 (permalink)

To my ears not really. The greatest thing about the Dime wah is that it has 3 pots so you can adjust the Q, Tone and volume, plus of course as you have the 6position selector as well, you can dial in the sound you prefer. I personally stay away from the most extreme freq positions. If you select the Freq range 6, the range is so deep that you can hardly hear the guitar when you sweep the pedal up. I use the 3rd Fre position, and it sounds great to my ears. Of course the best way to test the actual sweep is by adjusting the whole range on clean sound.

Theres a good Wah test on Youtube, including the Dime Wah. Check it out mate!

Nov 6, 2009 12:48 PM ET #23 (permalink)

I use the ZW Dunlop Wah. Has a greater range than most stock wahs. You can also "dial in" your preferred range with the include hex key. It's good wah.

Dec 16, 2009 12:40 PM ET #24 (permalink)

I'm a huge fan of the oldesst cry-babbys out there it gives my music i classic feel

Dec 23, 2009 11:48 AM ET #25 (permalink)

I'm using the Dime Wah (I'm an artist formerly known as "Jamez" around here at MU btw, :)
anyone interested can check it out on my myspace tracks "Speed" and on some bits of "Tunnels".

www.myspace.com/martinalan703

I figured it's my time to get slagged off as well ;)

Have a blast of a Xmas!

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum