"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Starting a band

Posted in: Forum Home >> Extreme Metal >> Starting a band

Displaying 5 posts
Displaying 5 posts
Mar 18, 2010 9:38 PM ET #1 (permalink)

Hey guys, youve all been pretty helpful to me in the short time ive been here, so let me ask a question. Ive been playing guitar for 3 going on 4 years now, practicing hours on end every day to get good enough to form a band. I was probably good enough 2 years ago but i wanted to make sure. I have no experience with starting a band however, I have played 2 shows within the last year at guitar competitions. For one, im not that good at writing riffs, period. I just cant seem to come up with anything good, Anyone have any tips? And second of all. How would I get this band started? Im going for a slayer sound because theyve been my mine influence.

Mar 18, 2010 10:05 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Hi durzaroth,

A while ago I wrote an article on songwriting, here's the link: http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=46898

Hopefully you might find that helpful. Second - hell I'm stuck in the same point with that, just needing to find other musicians. Like all successful bands start, you just need to hang out with musicians a lot, meet like minded people and go from there. I live in a smaller place and none of my friends are into metal so it's not so easy.

Mar 21, 2010 10:09 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Let me start off the wrong way and say that I dont play any instruments, wish I did but I suck at it pretty hard. Luckily I have good, depressing BM vocals going for me. I met one of my buddies in the army and he plays guitar. We have been fucking around with some songs and are working on a demo right now. I dont think you need a full on band to get shit done. Just get an idea in your head with what you want out of your music and go for it. Confroming to what everyone else thinks is good music will just screw you in the long run.
I think the hardest band members to find are drummers. Does anybody else find it hard to find them also?

Apr 30, 2010 7:46 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Thanks Cynic, I cant usually find musicians either. And the other guy under cynic whos name is so long I forgot it (Ha..sorry) I was successful in starting a black metal band (one man) With the help of a drum machine, My BM vocal skills, and my guitar skills helped me enough to play bass on it too. I hope to have an album out soon. You guys were a great help. Thanks!

May 1, 2010 12:09 AM ET #5 (permalink)

Drummers are hell to find for me. The famous florida death metal scene has been stabbed to death and paved over by a road made of hardcore and screamo that permeates the scene like, well...a road. And drummers love breakdowns, so it's impossible to find one who doesnt want to play deathcore or one of it's twin little sisters aforementioned. It's goddamned annoying.

I'm actually a vocalist, but the bass I was playing as a hobby turned into something I'm actually practicing on seriously because me and my buddy guitarist cant find any serious bass players who are into metal period (who can blame them though, it's metal, not the friendliest genre for bass) so I got on my grind so I can do double duty. Wont be able to put everything I want into my vocals, but hey, it's something.

Those are the two hardest people to find for your band, because almost anybody can be a vocalist, or at least it seems that way, and guitarists number in the thousands per square mile, so no shortage there....

Now Playing: Dimmu Borgir- Tormentor of Christian souls

Reply to Discussion or Return to Extreme Metal forum