"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Death metal recommendations

Posted in: Forum Home >> Extreme Metal >> Death metal recommendations

Displaying 21 posts
Displaying 21 posts
Mar 15, 2010 10:54 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I've recently gotten into underground metal and have become hooked on various death metal bands such as Illogicist, Norther, Children of Bodom, and Amon Amarth, to name a few. Could you recommend more metal bands and help me find more new material to listen to?

Mar 15, 2010 11:04 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Would hesitate to call COB death metal. We really need a sticky thread for recommendations as Nat said!

Anyway, not sure how much dm you've already checked out so don't know how underground you want - I mean staples are Morbid Angel, Obituary, Death, Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation etc.

Mar 15, 2010 11:11 PM ET #3 (permalink)

yeah i've listened to several of those already (death, morbid angel, cannibal corpse). i'm just trying to expand my collection - sometimes it's difficult to start from scratch. apart from this site of course, do you know any good places to discover more music?

Mar 15, 2010 11:15 PM ET #4 (permalink)

You know about Pandora right? I've found several new bands I like based on what I already listen to, it's pretty useful if you want some quick references. The lesser-known bands won't be on there but it's a good place to start.

Mar 15, 2010 11:19 PM ET #5 (permalink)

yeah i've been using something similar - songza radio. it's definitely helped a lot!

Mar 15, 2010 11:24 PM ET #6 (permalink)

Decapitated, Nile, Woe Of Tyrants, Monstrosity, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Behemoth (some would call them black metal or blackened death metal but their way more death metal really), Centaurus A, Amon Amarth (melodic but still death metal), Through the Eyes Of The Dead. That otta get ya started.

Mar 15, 2010 11:28 PM ET #7 (permalink)

thanks, i will check those out.

Mar 16, 2010 10:30 AM ET #8 (permalink)

Master/Death Strike, Demilich, Entombed, Grave, Dismember, Crypt of Kerberos, early Therion, Malevolent Creation, Obituary, Autopsy, Necrovore, Sadistic Intent... that be the shit right thar

Mar 16, 2010 12:19 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Autopsy, Death, Crypt of Kerberos, Brain Drill, Bloodbath, Cannibis Corpse, Paths of Possession, Jungle Rot, Arch Enemy, Cannibal Corpse(their old stuff is better), Deicide, Morbid Angel, etc.

Mar 16, 2010 9:33 PM ET #10 (permalink)

Kataklysm, Ex Deo, Darkflood, Napalm Death (some of it is grind and some death), Blood Red Throne, Psycroptic

Mar 17, 2010 12:24 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Shit, you've all already mentioned my favs, just add Deicide to all aforementioned bands and that about does it.
A good place to find new bands is actually here at Metalunderground. I don't know how many times I've been looking for new bands to listened to and just got on here and read some albums reviews, picked some random good ones, and checked 'em out. For the most part it's worked out great.

Mar 17, 2010 7:40 PM ET #12 (permalink)

thanks a lot everyone!

Mar 18, 2010 6:24 PM ET #13 (permalink)

Asphyx, Aborted, augury , Artery Eruption, abhorrent , Asphyxiate, Abhorrence , Abominator , Ahret Dev, Abscess, August Burns Red, Angel Corpse, atheist, arsebreed, Ancient Existence, Altar, Autopsy , Aeon, At the Gates, Bolt Thrower, Brutus, beast of damnation, Baalphegor, Bloodbath, Banished, Bestial Warlust , Bunder necromunda, Byatis, banishment, Benediction, Benighted, beheaded, Blood Red Throne, Cannibal Corpse, Cancer, Cliteater, carnophage, Cryptopsy ,Catafalc, Corpsefucking Art, Cremated lives, Cyaegha, Commit suicide, Cephalic Carnage,Carcass, Decapitated, Devast, Deicide, Desultory, Death, Deeds of Flesh, Dying Fetus, Destiny, Dukes of the kumatai, Dominion, Detonation, Devourment, Demilich, Dismember, Destinity, Deadbodieseverywhere, Demonoid , Disparaged, decrepidemic, Decrepith Birth, Disgorge, Disavowed, Divine Empire, Depised Icon, Demonicon, Dethroner, Disfigured, Dripping, deadborn, Embodiment'the', Evocation, emeth, Entorturement, Exhumer, Exhmumed, Exmortem, Emeth, Element, fleshgod apocalypse, Formless terror, Fuck The Facts, Facebreaker, faceless'the', Gorgasm, Guttural Secrete, Gorefest, God Among Insects, Graveworm, Grave, Genocide, Houwitser, Heretic Angel, Haemophagia, Hail Of Bullets, Human Effluence, Hypocrisy, Harlots, Hate Eternal, hackneyed, Hate, hour of penance, Immolation, Inherit Disease, incinerate, Infected Flesh, Internecine, Inhume, Inhuman Dissiliency, internal suffering, insidious decrepancy , Immersed in Blood, infernal revulsion , Inveracity, Infinitum, Ingurgitating Oblivion, Intestinal Alien Reflux, Job for a Cowboy, Jack Slater, Kataklysm, Kataplexia, Kraanium, Kutschurft, Killengod, Krisiun, Kaamos, Leprosy, Left To Rot, Last fear, Morbid Angel, Mortician, Malevolent Creation, Mortal Decay, Monstrosity, Massacre, My Own Grave, Mortify, Mangled, Manticore , Nominon, nocturnus, Napalm Death, Nile, Nazxul, Necrophagist, Nefas, Obituary, Origin, obscura, Odius Mortem, Ontogeny, Prostitute Disfigurement, Perversity, Peurisi, Panzerchrist, Phlebotomized, Pyaemia, Possessed , Rebaelliun, Rompeprop, revenant, Recueil Morbide, reciprocal, Sinister, Suffocation, Sadistik Exekution, Severe Torture, seance, Severed Saviour, Stillbirth, Sleep terror, Secrecy, Suffereign, Skinless, Sapiens End, Sanctification, Spawn of Possession, Psychobolia, Psycroptic, Queiron, six feet under, Slaughter Brute, Tristwood, Torture Squad, The crown, The Rotted (ex gorerotted), The Monolith deathcult, Toxacara, Torture Division, the deity's flesh , Torture Killer, The Faceless, Unmerciful, Unleashed, Visceral Bleeding, Vader, Vomitory, Vile, Vale Of Miscreation, Vital Remains, viral load , vomit the soul , Vomigod, Warface, Woodhaven, Witchery, Zyklon

Mar 18, 2010 6:27 PM ET #14 (permalink)

impressive...

Mar 19, 2010 12:38 PM ET #15 (permalink)

My personal favorites are mostly melodeath.

Dethklok, In Flames, Arch Enemy (Angela Gossow's stuff for me, female-fronted death metal is AWESOME!), Amon Amarth, Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquility, Norther...

edit: OH! And it's not quite death metal, but Daath is awesome as well. Give their album "The Hinderers" a shot.

(This post was last edited on March 19, 2010 at 12:40 PM ET.)

Mar 19, 2010 12:52 PM ET #16 (permalink)

Yeah Cynic, I agree with you and myself, we really do need a stickied recommendations thread, haha.

Metalheadforever, I would definitely suggest you take a look at the Metal Archives and their forums. I've discovered a ridiculous amount of amazing bands just from lurking around there.

http://metal-archives.com/

http://metal-archives.com/board/?PHPSESSID=bc687fbb04796b18a9866f99953a6f64

Mar 19, 2010 1:03 PM ET #17 (permalink)

+1 to Nat. I'm Wet Pussy/MegaHassan over there btw. Used to be active in the death metal help thread like last year or so.

(This post was last edited on March 19, 2010 at 1:04 PM ET.)

Apr 6, 2010 11:37 PM ET #18 (permalink)

checkout these guys Legion Of The Damned their fucking good... if you like death/thrash metal you'll like them

(This post was last edited on April 6, 2010 at 11:41 PM ET.)

Apr 14, 2010 2:50 PM ET #19 (permalink)

Lady Gaga, Jonas Brother, Justin Beibin, Adam Lambert, George Micheal, Seal, Mazzy Starr, PJ Harvey. I could go on and on. It just doesn't get any heavier than those guys.

Apr 14, 2010 4:33 PM ET #20 (permalink)

Edge of Sanity all the way, favorite death metal band period. Crimson is an epic songalbumtrack.
ohh and Infestdead ,one of Swano's other side death metal projects is sweet too.

Apr 30, 2010 3:02 PM ET #21 (permalink)

Through The Eyes of Carrion

Reply to Discussion or Return to Extreme Metal forum