"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Seventies Metal

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> Seventies Metal

Displaying 19 posts
Displaying 19 posts
Mar 15, 2010 10:03 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I noticed in some of the other threads in the classic metal section that a few bands from the seventies had been name dropped but not completely focused on. So let's a conversation going regarding some of the first and best metal bands that came to prominence in the seventies as well as any lesser known ones you can think of.

Just watched a documentary on metal and for the most part it focused on the roots of metal. Was really cool to see that they bothered to get guys from the Edgar Broughton Band and Budgie interviewed for the show as well as members of Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and of course, Lemmy.

Mar 15, 2010 10:20 PM ET #2 (permalink)

I haven't listened to a ton of classic metal and am not very informed whatsoever, but a few of the 70's bands I've been listening to are Blue Oyster Cult (just the first few albums, am I right in saying they seemed to get softer after that?), Scorpions, and a little Montrose (just the two with Sammy Hagar).

Were you watchin Metal: A Headbanger's Journey there Oz?

Mar 15, 2010 10:21 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Diamond Oz, have you seen Metal: A Headbanger's Journey?

Mar 15, 2010 10:43 PM ET #4 (permalink)

So many lost bands from the 70s - here's one that rules. Legend - maybe the first ever viking metal band. Just one full length called "From The Fjords" from 79 and it's a rare vinyl collectors item now so feel free to download without a weight on your conscience.

Also a big thanks to Oz, would've never checked out a band called Budgie without ya man.

Mar 15, 2010 11:19 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Most 70's metal bands in my opinion were just straight up rock bands like Blue Cheer. But this being said my personal favorites are Thin Lizzy (they had some heavy shit, listen to Cold Sweat), Deep Purple, Cactus, UFO, Priest, Sabbath (duh), and uhhhhhhhhhhh........... FUCKIN ZEPPELIN BITCHES!!!!!!!

Who else here is a fan of the greatest band to ever record music.

Mar 16, 2010 1:31 AM ET #6 (permalink)

+1 For mentioning UFO!

Phenomenon and Force It are magnificent albums. Plus, who can forget about Schenker's remarkable guitar skills?

Apr 17, 2010 10:27 AM ET #7 (permalink)

F*ckin love Zeppelin, Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Judas Priest, ACDC, Pink Floyd, tho they're more psychadelic rock. You've gotta love the f*ckin classics man.

Apr 17, 2010 5:43 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Where can I locate Legend?

Apr 17, 2010 5:45 PM ET #9 (permalink)

O and Zeppelin are not that great of a band!! Yes they are a very talented band, but not the greatest!!

Apr 17, 2010 8:01 PM ET #10 (permalink)

Check out some of their tracks here and see if you like it : www.myspace.com/legendfromamerica

Apr 17, 2010 8:50 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Damn, I just noticed this thread..
Now this is the era I grew up during... listening to all the bands that have been mentioned along with some others
that I recall from raiding my oldest brothers 8track collection when I was a just a wee metalhead.!

Personally, I dont really classify Led Zeppelin as a metal band... as wide of a range as they have in their catolog, I kind
of consider them to be a class of music all their own.!
And as far as Im concerned... they are at the top of my list of favorite bands of all time.!

lDb - Yes your right.. BOC did get a bit softer as the years progressed... Fire of An Unknown Origin was their last decent album. But it led to their softening after the radio waves found "Burning For You".!
And might I say... WOW... a fan of Montrose..? Excellent \m/ \m/
Ronnie Montrose is certainly one of the great guitarists of the 70s that doesnt get near the recognition that he deserves.! The first few albums with Sammy Hagar are the best... but there are some excellent tracks from the album "Jump On It"

Ok, so why hasnt anyone mentioned the band Riot.? There has to be more people out there that listen to them
besides me, Unholy Thrasher and Bg1.!?

Some others worth mentioning.. Pat Travers Band.. Free.. Max Webster..Mahogany Rush.. Nazereth.. Robin Trower..
Oh yeah... if Deep Purple is worth mentioning., how about the band Rainbow ( Dio era Rainbow is the best.! But the
years with Joe Lynn Turner are quite good too)

Apr 17, 2010 9:00 PM ET #12 (permalink)

humm a few oldies worth mentioning... Budgie, King Crimson, Hawkwind, Sir Lord Baltimore, Apocalypse, Jethro Tull, Black Oak Arkansas, Rainbow, Rush, the early Alice Cooper is good aswell, Warpig, Armageddon, Pagan Altar... and my favorite The Doors, though they are the least "metal" of the bunch.

(This post was last edited on April 18, 2010 at 1:37 PM ET.)

Apr 17, 2010 9:01 PM ET #13 (permalink)

err pagan altar are kinda more in the 80's sry

Apr 18, 2010 1:33 PM ET #14 (permalink)

ohh and Cream rule also, Iron Butterfly,Vanilla Fudge, The Yardbirds, The Edgar Broughton Band also deserve some credit.

Oz that doc you watched was it BBC's Heavy Metal Britannia? watched that a while back sweet doc.

(This post was last edited on April 18, 2010 at 1:35 PM ET.)

Apr 19, 2010 4:48 PM ET #15 (permalink)

Yeah like 90% of what's been listed here is not metal at all, Iron Butterfly? Pink Floyd? The Yardbirds? King Crimson? Hawkwind? Deeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr??????????????? Oh well, guess this could just be a 70's music discussion rather than 70's metal.

Oh and Zeppelin were THE GREATEST BAND of their time, nobody can ever compete with or recreate what they did musically, timeless classics, and would definitely agree that their music is its own genre. Good call godlike!!! \m/

Apr 20, 2010 2:08 PM ET #16 (permalink)

I love digging at record stores for 70's stuff! I recently found records by...aphrodites child, Lucifer's friend, Death ss.... not super metal but definately influenced it...

Apr 20, 2010 6:34 PM ET #17 (permalink)

Yeah that was the documentary I watched man. It was pretty good.

I've never been a fan of Zeppelin, they have a couple of songs I like but overall I'd take Black Sabbath or Deep Purple any day.

May 2, 2010 11:49 AM ET #18 (permalink)

@brandedcfh420

You are f*cking crazy man. Led Zeppelin is amazing, Stairway to Heaven is maybe the best song ever written (yeah, I went there). But you guys mentioned all the greats, can't really add on. Also, Sabbath is AWESOME as well (I've just finished learning Iron Man on guitar :D)

May 2, 2010 12:27 PM ET #19 (permalink)

gettin here l8
once again this falls into the what is Metal? debate
Zep Aerosmith AC/DC Van Halen
i rock these bands daily can't get enough
but
they are hard rock
all had huge infuence on Metal
but none are Metal
a couple of bands forgotten but need some recognition
Mott the Hoople and Uriah Heep
not sayin they're Metal but throwing em out there for some to check out
just to repeat Deep Purple Thin Lizzy Rainbow Scorpions UFO also define the 70's

(This post was last edited on May 2, 2010 at 12:27 PM ET.)

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum