"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

need tips for starting a band

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> need tips for starting a band

Displaying 9 posts
Displaying 9 posts
Mar 13, 2010 8:37 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I'm trying to start a band and need some help with it does anybody have any tips

Mar 13, 2010 9:12 PM ET #2 (permalink)

First of all understand how hard it is to go very far with the band you put together. I have so many friends who are very talented musicians, but it's not easy to get signed or even find a place top put on a show!

If you're looking for some people just to jam with, I'd suggest going to local shows. You're likely to find some kids who play instruments or do vocals. Or put an add on Craigslist or something that you're looking to start a band, just be prepared to have people respond telling you how musically gifted they are only to show up carrying a tambourine.

Mar 13, 2010 9:22 PM ET #3 (permalink)

I jingle-jangle my tambo with the best, if I may say-so myself.

Mar 13, 2010 10:54 PM ET #4 (permalink)

That's better than me and my air-guitar, DIE ;)

Mar 14, 2010 2:48 PM ET #5 (permalink)

dont do unless you got to much time on your hands
and money to suport your plans

Mar 14, 2010 9:07 PM ET #6 (permalink)

Don't even bother unless you live in a moderately sized city, or can drive to one. Otherwise you're only going to be frustrated constantly, instead of having fun like you should be. As Deadbeat said, Craigslist is your friend. Also, don't play with people on the basis of them being your pals, it can be a huge pain in the ass if you're just one of a couple motivated members of the group and have to deal with hurting their feelings. Trust me, I had nothing but shitty experiences with bands in high school, and the next time I join or start one I'm going to have to be extremely picky about the kind of people I'll surround myself with.

(This post was last edited on March 14, 2010 at 9:10 PM ET.)

Mar 14, 2010 10:42 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Going along the lines of what Nat and lDb said, you really need to look five-ish years ahead and expect your band to be completely different than when you began. It's entirely dependent on what you want, and know that what you want probably isn't enough, but keep going if you're happy. Be happy. Don't make it work. I hate it when artists say this. Do NOT make it work. Make it what gets you through work.

Mar 15, 2010 9:28 AM ET #8 (permalink)

I'd say Don't think or try to analyze things too much, plus when it comes down to bandmates, it's super important to have the type of people around who you feel the most comfortable with instead of who might be "the best" whatever at the moment. Isn't playing in a band supposed to be fun?

In regards to getting signed (here's one still trying ;) I'd go 100% DIY way. Do your shows, make your own recordings, and don't listen to that many advices / BS people are saying. Why not? Well, WHERE are the current big bands? Where are the succesful bands the history of music's been filled with? Seems to me that NONE of these music biz "experts" know what to do these days. Sure sure, they moan about music downloads and "there's no great stuff around anymore", blah blah blah. That's all BS. They just don't know how to do their job anymore, period.

And Good luck! Luck's a huge, huge part of making it, no matter if you just wanna enjoy being in a band playing good stuff, or if you try to make it

Apr 8, 2010 11:23 AM ET #9 (permalink)

probably the best thing to do is don't give up and take small steps at the time, i've have been busy forming a band for more then a year now, and only now we are really getting somwhere. the hardest part is keeping everything together. also try writing songs as early as possible because you don't want to stay a cover band forever, but don't rule out playing covers though as they can help you get a general sense of how to write and perform a song, when writing own material don't think you can write a symphony on the first try. just try to begin with simple riff based 2/3 minute songs, just to give yourself some material to practise with.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum