"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Guys we all come from the same place!!

Posted in: Forum Home >> Core >> Guys we all come from the same place!!

Displaying posts 126 - 150 of 150 1 2 ... 4 5 6 Last
Displaying posts 126 - 150 of 150 1 2 ... 4 5 6 Last
Sep 6, 2010 5:31 PM ET #126 (permalink)

a) I call grindcore grindcore not metal. Also when I say -core I am talking about the new trends of metalcore, deathcore, emocore/screamo not grindcore or hardcore punk - which proves a point. Before the other -cores metalheads coexisted well with hardcore, but there is a revolt against the new breeds because we see them as degenerate. If deathcore were as respectable as grindcore there would be no schism.

b) "how many of your favorite bands now suck because they have core in their subgenre's names" - again you seem to be in denial of the fact I and others dislike -core for the music not because it's cool to do so. Answer? Cryptopsy are the only band that sold out to that wagon.

c) I don't listen to Napalm Death, but I do early Carcass. Which sounds nothing like Carnifex. I'm sure if you asked told a grindcore fan that Carnifex were just like Napalm Death or that deathcore = grindcore he'd laugh in your face.

d) If you read the faq you'll note this site has an inclusive view on any music that is heavy, including core, hardcore punk, nu-metal, industrial etc. - The ads are served up by a network and not explicitly chosen, and we do not make a stance to be the arbiter in metal unlike MA, so your ad hominem point means nothing.

Sep 7, 2010 1:53 AM ET #127 (permalink)

"Before the other -cores metalheads coexisted well with hardcore"
That's still true here, the disputes over here are with people either writing off either hc or metal and not knowing anything about it besides what they here from the internet or people claiming to know everything abou what it's all about.
Some kids in my town for example love shit like Suicide Silence and BMTH (they suck but if you dig it who gives a shit) and claim it as hc and say they love all hc but write off every upcoming band, never come to shows and cause trouble.
Some of the "hc kids" (fakers) write off metal bands and say they only dig hc but you'll always see them at Parkway Drive or The Red Shore shows and it's like well what do you think this is?

They just have to expirence some more I guess.

Sep 7, 2010 11:47 AM ET #128 (permalink)

at the end of the day the media is going to call any music with screaming in it heavy metal, so it makes no sense to even argue about it.
They even call Underoath metal. <;--- wtf? why, I don't know. But they do. It's retarded.

Its a matter of preference, And opinion. No one likes everything someone else likes.
I might think everything is metal, you might not. It's just my opinion and I mentioned before that I wasn't trying to force anyone to think the same way I was. It's all in your interpretation of my words......in a forum....on the internet.

So I'll say what I say, but you dumping 5 paragraphs on me about why I'm wrong, well...that's just silly :)
np :whitechapel possession

Sep 7, 2010 5:09 PM ET #129 (permalink)

It was only 4, but to me metal is an important part of my life so I don't ever really think discussing or thinking about it is silly. But I do respect others rights to listen to whatever they want, I've written a lot about it in this thread.

Sep 7, 2010 5:42 PM ET #130 (permalink)

Metalbynumbers, youve dumped quite a few paragraphs trying to prove other people on here wrong yourself, so the pot and kettle phrase comes to mind again. Try not to pass off an argument by saying the other people arguing are silly for arguing well. It kindof illegitamizes your point. Just sayin. And saying grindcore and deathcore bands are barely different is like saying thrash and death metal are similar because they use double bass, strong vocals and fast distorted guitars. I dont think anyone would confuse caught in a mosh for a cannibal corpse song, yknow what i mean? You can chalk stuff up really easily to describe them as the same thing, but the differences are drastic and important regardless of how you try to fool yourself into thinking they dont matter.

Oct 13, 2010 11:44 AM ET #131 (permalink)

ive been listening to From Ashes Rise lately, i think they are hardcore, i dont see how anyone could listen to them and not love them, but everyone is different I guess

the new Cephalic Carnage is pretty much the shit, thats grindcore right? core can be bad, but there are a ton of amazing bands with associated with 'core'

even Cattle Decapitation says "gore not core", but I still consider their sound to be 'core', they tour with some really bad 'core' bands too

Oct 13, 2010 5:45 PM ET #132 (permalink)

I've learned from listening to metal since I was in 6th grade that music is always changing, and labels are only an excuse for people to group things they don't like together to try and sound legitimately correct in doing so.

Oct 13, 2010 7:03 PM ET #133 (permalink)

I dont sound legitimately correct by calling Metallica "Nursing Home Metal"?!?!?!?? damn, thanks for killing my great day MBN!!

Oct 14, 2010 1:31 AM ET #134 (permalink)

I'm sorry branded D:
I hate when this thread gets bumped just because there's always someone trying to lump bring me the horizon and bullet for my valentine into the same group as bands like whitechapel and others. It's so annoying I just feel the need to defend my musical taste and hatred for genres.

I'm not particularly a fan of metallica myself, but your classifying them as Nursing Home metal made me lol.

Oct 14, 2010 10:42 AM ET #135 (permalink)

agreed about lumping bands in the same genre when they r not! good example with Whitechapel and the 2 other bands you mentioned!

Nov 4, 2010 3:19 PM ET #136 (permalink)

Most Death and Black metal guys as well as other "true" metal heads just don't like the idea that metal is evolving and changing with time. I too grew up on thrash/speed metal and even liked some death metal back in the day. Im mainly into metalcore/expiemental metal these days but respect all genres. Even though I don't like alot of the "extreme" metal genres much anymore. Besides Meshuggah, Lamb of God, and a few others, I'm just not into it. Horns up!

Nov 4, 2010 3:43 PM ET #137 (permalink)

"labels are only an excuse for people to group things they don't like together to try and sound legitimately correct in doing so." I agree that people do that, but those people are generally wrong in doing so. Should we say that colors are stupid because someone says that magenta is red?

If you know what you're talking about, the "labels" and subgenres are a great way to articulate what the music sounds like without saying "sounds like this band" when in fact it may not exactly. Subgenres encompass a set of features of a style of music, and saying a band sounds like another may not be the case, as there may be particular parts that are different.

Unfortunately what happens is that people who don't know any better say "Band X is THIS" and "Band Y has this common trait that I don't like about it, so BAND Y is THIS as well" (insert "core" or nu-metal or whatever where THIS is) when in fact Band Y may not have the necessary traits to legitimately lump it into the same subgenre as Band X. (e.g., calling every clean singing chorus metalcore band "emo"). So don't hate the labels, hate the labeltards.

(Note that there generally can be some variation in subgenre definitions, and I'm not ridiculing people with simple differences of opinions, but there are clearly people who grossly miscategorize music because they just don't know wtf they are talking about too).

Nov 5, 2010 3:27 AM ET #138 (permalink)

Well said db.
Might I add that it bothers me that there's always someone who bumps this thread saying the same thing that someone else has said over and over again? hmmm.

Nov 5, 2010 7:46 AM ET #139 (permalink)

:: bumping to "nursing home metal" ::

Nov 5, 2010 6:24 PM ET #140 (permalink)

oh god..

LARS ULRICH BEST DRUMMER 2010! HE SHOULD'VE GOT THE AWARD FOR BEST DRUMMER OF THE LAST 25 YEARS INSTEAD OF JOEY JORDISON!

Imagine if we all thought like that? ^^^^^
-___________________________-

Nov 5, 2010 6:39 PM ET #141 (permalink)

#'s: What do you even mean by that?

Nov 5, 2010 7:11 PM ET #142 (permalink)

MBN, then we would all be metalli-sheep! thats why some of us think differently!

Dec 12, 2010 5:50 AM ET #143 (permalink)

I'm pretty new to this forum, but I'd have to say that reading over this thread (and this is a beast of a thread, so I skipped about 4 pages) I've realized that I don't know nearly as much about classifying music genre's as some of the people on here. I've also realized that I don't really care to classify the majority of the music I listen to as metal anymore, or at least hold an argument over it. I suppose I believe it's metal, but I don't really even know what sub-genre of 'core to classify half of the stuff I listen to as. I really don't care much, either. I'd rather enjoy the music I listen to without wondering whether it fits everybody else' description of metal. I think whether you're arguing for or against 'core being metal it's pretty irrelevant either way. Just my opinion, anyhow.

Dec 12, 2010 8:59 AM ET #144 (permalink)

Wow... a newbie who didn't say something stupid in bumping this thread...

Dec 12, 2010 9:05 AM ET #145 (permalink)

Well Jworth, its ok to call you that? welcome to the mighty MU! good post to introduce yourself to everyone, and well thought out too.

\,,/(**)\,,/

Dec 13, 2010 5:00 AM ET #146 (permalink)

"Well thought out" and MU user doesn't tend to fit...

Dec 13, 2010 7:00 PM ET #147 (permalink)

Haha, well thanks for the welcome guys. :) You guys can call me whatever you like, it doesn't bother me; but just to avoid confusion the names pronounced Yar-uhls-worth.

Dec 13, 2010 8:12 PM ET #148 (permalink)

so JW, Shelbyville TN....not too far from me in Charlotte NC. You get good shows in your parts?

Dec 13, 2010 11:40 PM ET #149 (permalink)

No, not really. Every once and a while somethin interesting will come by but I hardly have the money for it half of the time anyways :( Tennessee is horrible with good shows. Georgia has some good ones sometimes, though.

Dec 22, 2010 11:06 AM ET #150 (permalink)

Who cares if someone is calling you a poser. We all have different tastes. Who's to judge what you are?

Reply to Discussion or Return to Core forum