"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Guys we all come from the same place!!

Posted in: Forum Home >> Core >> Guys we all come from the same place!!

Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 150 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 150 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Mar 22, 2010 4:49 PM ET #26 (permalink)

I just got back on but I totally agree with cynic (except I can't tell if he is too fond of Killswitch). The funny thing is I was referring to Unearth as one of the bands I was talking about. Two of my favorite bands are Killswitch and Unearth and they are considered metal core. Im glad we had a big discussion because it cleared alot of stuff up

Mar 22, 2010 5:03 PM ET #27 (permalink)

Unearth are a metal band, in my opinion, despite the fact they are a "metalcore" band. They are a lot more metal than hardcore these days so to me, they could safely be labeled a metal band.

Mar 22, 2010 5:55 PM ET #28 (permalink)

^yes very much so, especially with their new album The March....that record is alot more metal the hardcore for sure.

Mar 22, 2010 7:13 PM ET #29 (permalink)

Hardcore-styled vocals, open-note breakdowns... Unearth is metalcore fo' sho, and they're damn good at it. I was glad to hear them finally unleash the solos in abundance on The March. It had always made me kind of frustrated that Susi and McGrath purposely held back on them in the past, because it was obvious that they are extremely talented.

(This post was last edited on March 22, 2010 at 7:14 PM ET.)

Mar 23, 2010 2:23 AM ET #30 (permalink)

^ I wouldn't say Buz or Ken purposely held back on solos in the past, they just didn't play solos in the typical "guitar solo" format, or at least Buz anyways. Little solos tend to jump out at you in random spots, and often over top of breakdowns which that band pretty much pioneered, one of the thing I always liked about them. Listen to songs such as Giles, This Glorious Nightmare, Endless, Failure, This Time Was Mine, you'll see what I'm talkin' bout.

Mar 23, 2010 8:47 AM ET #31 (permalink)

^absolutely sir, i was gonna make that exact point b4 i read urs lol. One of my fav solo's ever was off of III: In the Eyes of Fire during the song "So It Goes" cuz that dueling shit if just fuckin bad ass!!!!! Those two dude are two of my fav players in metal.....srry i mean metalcore for all u picky fucks. But you can go all the way back to their endless ep and hear solo's over breakdowns.

Mar 23, 2010 11:18 AM ET #32 (permalink)

Well, actually, they stated themselves (I think it was in Guitar World) around the period of "III..." that they purposely didn't play solos in most of their songs because they didn't want to have them unless they truly fit the song in their eyes. The quote was something along the lines of "we hold off and don't solo for the sake of soloing, we don't want it to be 'here, you wank here while I jack off there'", haha. Sure, they frequently had brief flashes of lead work and sweep picking, but with the exception of songs like Zombie Autopilot and So It Goes, they never went into full-blown solo territory.

(This post was last edited on March 23, 2010 at 11:22 AM ET.)

Mar 23, 2010 10:06 PM ET #33 (permalink)

Songs off their first album, The Stings Of Conscience, definitely trek into "solo" territory, the title track, Only The People, My Heart Bleeds No Longer, and a few others. They eased off a bit on the "Endless" EP and "The Oncoming Storm". They've always had that component in their sound they just fully embraced it on "The March", which I think made them a little more generic, less breakdowns though.

Mar 31, 2010 12:47 AM ET #34 (permalink)

Thank you Cynic for perfectly explaining this. Could not have said any of it better. Agreed, metalcore is degenerate and diluted, and these bands are quickly becoming "dime-a-dozen" with little, if any, discernible differences between most of them.
By the way, if one should attempt to depict metalcore with any validity, don't bash metal in the process. Then your just a whiny hypocrite. And anyone who tries to trash to musicianship of Cannibal Corpse needs their f*ckin head checked.
Metal rules.

Mar 31, 2010 1:33 AM ET #35 (permalink)

"metalcore is degenerate and diluted"
In your opinion, yes.

"anyone who tries to trash to musicianship of Cannibal Corpse needs their f*ckin head checked"
Have to ask, who here trashed the musicianship of Cannibal Corpse.

"if one should attempt to depict metalcore with any validity, don't bash metal in the process. Then your just a whiny hypocrite"
Yeah well the same goes for you too bud, if your gonna depict metal with any validity, Cannibal Corpse, then I'd say don't bash metalcore in the process or any genre for that matter. Unearth, gonna mention them seeing as they've been on topic, are quite superb musicians. If you're gonna bash bands like them, say they suck yet praise a band like Cannibal for their musicianship, well that pretty much makes you a "whiny hypocite".

It's okay not to like a particular genre, I myself am not a fan of metalcore either (with a few minor exceptions), but no need to call it "degenerate and diluted" or be disrespectful to a fan of the given genre.

(This post was last edited on March 31, 2010 at 1:34 AM ET.)

Mar 31, 2010 3:09 AM ET #36 (permalink)

What's the deal with the musicianship crap? Some of my favorite bands have comparatively horrible musicianship. Early Bathory, early Slayer. That's why I love most hardcore and grindcore. Sloppy, fun, fast. What more could you want?

Also I don't get why these 'metalcore' bands are labelled 'metalcore'. They have hardly any hardcore riffs about them. And breakdowns were never a part of hardcore, that shit came MUCH later. Hardcore was fast loud and obnoxious, like thrash (which came later and borrowed a lot from hardcore).

I like a lot of bands labelled metalcore and deathcore, but I only have a problem with the name of the genre and nothing else. Bah, if I had my way, Cryptic Slaughter and Carnivore would be 'METALCORE' and Repulsion and Abscess would be 'DEATHCORE'. And this Suicide Silence stuff (which I like) would be... something else. Idk. :P

(This post was last edited on March 31, 2010 at 3:14 AM ET.)

Mar 31, 2010 3:36 AM ET #37 (permalink)

^ I agree dude, I also don't really get why people get their undies wedged up their ass over musicianship, a lot of my favorite bands aren't or weren't the greatest musicians either. Like most early hardcore such as Black Flag (Greg Ginn is actually phenomenal if you ask me), Circle Jerks, 7 Seconds, SSD, GBH, Discharge, Poison Idea, Agnostic Front were quite sloppy and just plain bad at their instruments when they first started, same with Sick Of It All. That's what makes hardcore punk so rad if you ask me, so many players who can't play yet they write way cooler riffs than bands who really can play. Greg Ginn from Black Flag stomps anything Steve Via has ever done in my opinion.

But on another note, I don't see how Slayer had "comparatively horrible musicianship" in their early days, I was listening to Metal Storm/Face The Slayer just a little while ago and uhhhhhhhhh........ they could definitely shred back then.

Mar 31, 2010 3:47 AM ET #38 (permalink)

Totally agree with you man. +1 to you. What sucks EVEN MORE is that people these days are going like "Iron Maiden isn't metal compared to Lamb of God cuz they aint techical enough" at least over here in Pakistan. FUCKING INFURIATES ME. SINCE WHEN WAS METAL (or music) ABOUT HOW MANY FUCKING CYMBALS YOU CAN CRASH IN A MILLISECOND WHILE DOING SOME COMPLICATED TIME SIGNATURE!!?? >;.<;

*calms down*

Hahahah what I meant by that was they were sloppy in the "we gotta be like those guys!" sense, not in the "HEY LETS DO RANDOM SHITTY SOLOS GYS!!!!!! lololol" sense :P

Mar 31, 2010 7:25 AM ET #39 (permalink)

fFor, one, Spaghetti_Model, OhFa'Sho was the only one pointing out and criticizing particular bands, including Cannibal Corpse. Pay attention. Two, I didn't single out any metalcore bands and say they suck. I never even mentioned Unearth. So don't put words in my mouth. I was simply agreeing with an opinion on the genre as a whole.

Mar 31, 2010 6:03 PM ET #40 (permalink)

You said metalcore was a degenerate and diluted genre, I simply used Unearth as a reference point to say that you are incorrect, I wasn't putting words in your mouth, "pay attention". My point was that you were calling out someone as being a hypocrite while being one in the process, not trying to be a dick.

Apr 2, 2010 12:07 AM ET #41 (permalink)

Well, opinions are like asses, so we'll just agree to disagree. No disrespect intended. Thing is, I used to like metalcore, it's just that to me it was like metalcore bands just started sprouting up like f**kin weeds everywhere, each one just a pale imitation of the one before. Most just seem a dime a dozen, and I got burnt out on the sh*t quick. There are a select few, tho, that I do still somewhat like, Unearth actually being one. As a whole, tho, I've given up on the genre.

Apr 2, 2010 7:56 PM ET #42 (permalink)

That seems like a decent reason for you to dislike most (maybe all, I don't know) new -core bands, but not necessarily the origins. But maybe that's what you meant. If you get bored by it, move on. =)

Apr 2, 2010 11:39 PM ET #43 (permalink)

I'm kind of late to the party, but I mainly agree with cynic in this. I dislike the trends and the scene kid style. I pretty much despise hardcore dancing. I'm fine with old hardcore, don't get me wrong, but this 00's deathcore/metalcore genre just gets to me. I just don't like the music, or the breakdowns. It also doesn't really seem very 'by the fans, for the fans' or DIY. That's what I like the most about metal. You can just start a band with your friends and it's very DIY, maybe not so much anymore, but it's been like that for a long time. The underground also has a lot more cool people and a lot less annoying immature people...just my take on this
oh, and N.P-Deicide-Repent To Die

Apr 3, 2010 3:18 AM ET #44 (permalink)

Yeah I see what your saying, I'm not a fan either for pretty much the exact same reasons. But, to me, the style of music that gets tagged as "metalcore" isn't exactly quite metal-core in my opinion. I got into Punk and Hardcore music before metal so the bands that I've always considered metalcore were like Suicidal Tendencies, D.R.I., S.O.D., Corrosion Of Conformity, Earth Crisis, Overcast, Judge, stuff like that. I know that a few of those bands would largely be considered "crossover thrash" or maybe just straight up hardcore to some, but they are fusions of metal and hardcore which by definition could be considered "metalcore"................... right?

Apr 3, 2010 7:23 AM ET #45 (permalink)

^ Same. Crossover thrash is a lot more METAL-CORE than this metalcore genre. Metalcore doesn't even use any hardcore punk riffs, using breakdowns doesn't make you a hardcore band.

Apr 3, 2010 10:48 AM ET #46 (permalink)

spaghetti-I think a lot of post-hardcore bands get labeled as 'metalcore' and they all just suck...

Apr 3, 2010 5:39 PM ET #47 (permalink)

Exactly, most metalcore bands don't have much of a hardcore sound at all, just breakdowns which doesn't make you a hardcore band. As I Lay Dying, for example, fly the flag for metalcore but I really don't here much of a hardcore influence, just breakdowns, maybe a bit of post-hardcore here and there on their earlier stuff I've heard but really not "metal - CORE" in my opinion. Vision Of Disorder, Integrity, Converge, and Hatebreed would be what I call metalcore.

(This post was last edited on April 14, 2010 at 4:45 PM ET.)

Apr 4, 2010 7:21 AM ET #48 (permalink)

i dont know in my opinion alot of the bands that are listed as metalcore i dont really "hard" i consider them "fast" but not "hard" when i listen to hatebreed i wanna punch the wall and that is "hard" to me but if i listen to kSE i dont get that urge ..... though i dont like KSE ha ha anyways i think metal underground should make an Alpha roster for all the metal bands or non metals bands and their respective sub genres

Apr 14, 2010 3:10 PM ET #49 (permalink)

Sorry, but Hannah Montana blows all of those queefs away.

Apr 30, 2010 1:42 AM ET #50 (permalink)

Well I am for sure late on this discussion, but I came from a hardcore/punk background and then found my way to metal. I love "metalcore" as we are discussing it, but I agree with Cynic a lot. Makes great valid points. I can't say I have a distaste for the culture in metalcore being that I feel all music genres have their own little annoying culture and tid bits about them. Really we are arguing opinion here. Truth is music changes constantly. We lay defining genres on top of music to, in my opinion, classify better for selling. In the end, music is music. I like it loud and hard. I love Black Dahlia Murder, At The Gates, Cannibal Corpse, things of that nature. In the end though all music changes. Remember what was considered metal in the early 80's and now look where we are. We will look back in 20 more years and it will have morphed. So why even classify anthing with a genre?

Reply to Discussion or Return to Core forum