"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Tips for Female Vocalist?

Posted in: Forum Home >> Extreme Metal >> Tips for Female Vocalist?

Displaying 12 posts
Displaying 12 posts
Mar 9, 2010 1:55 PM ET #1 (permalink)

Being a female, it's hard to find inspiration from artists without sounding too much like im trying to copy them. help here?

Mar 9, 2010 4:34 PM ET #2 (permalink)

best tip is be like her - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqw3BkwlYCQ

Mar 9, 2010 4:43 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Grow some balls!!

Mar 9, 2010 6:06 PM ET #4 (permalink)

you might need deez

actually though just learn the proper techniques and let the sound come out of you, your inner voice of SATAN!!
what kind of vocals are you thinking of anyways?

Mar 9, 2010 6:13 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Truthfully all you can do is learn proper warm-up and breathing techniques that any Google search and/or vocal instructor can help you with. Going out too far out of your way to sound unique or like another vocalist is only going to be damaging, so you'll just have to find your natural voice. I don't see how gender has anything to do with it.

Edit- this thread really doesn't belong in the Extreme Metal section.

(This post was last edited on March 9, 2010 at 6:14 PM ET.)

Mar 10, 2010 8:38 AM ET #6 (permalink)

unless, Natsquatch, she's looking for tips on the vocals found in most Extreme Metal :P

Mar 10, 2010 8:52 AM ET #7 (permalink)

Plibt + Natsquatch - yeah, thats why i put the thread here. the kind of vocals i do are definitely extreme metal.
i have a vocal instructor, and my natural vocals sound pretty good as is.
the problem is, im trying to find a band in need of a vocalist in my area, and the first thing they usually tell me is, wait you're a girl-- your vocals don't really sound like what we had in mind.

Mar 10, 2010 2:53 PM ET #8 (permalink)

There's a Musician's forum here for this kind of topic. Just sayin'.

Mar 19, 2010 12:43 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Check out Angela Gossow from Arch Enemy if death growls are your goal.

Or there's Tarja Turunen formerly from Nightwish, or Simone Simons from Epica.

Mar 19, 2010 8:19 PM ET #10 (permalink)

hey does anyone know the name of the one chick from Battlelore?

Mar 19, 2010 9:00 PM ET #11 (permalink)

The lady from the agonist is one of my main inspirations as a vocalist...diversity being what I'm going for. She does clean singing, deathcore, death metal, blackened vocals, and even *gasp* metalcore lol Definitely someone to find inspiration from.

The Landmine Marathon has a female vocalist, and they're streaming their new album on their myspace I think right now. You would never know the singer was a chick either.

Mar 24, 2010 10:40 AM ET #12 (permalink)

Ana

I am a student of classical singing, and there is where it all begins.
My suggestion is, to discover your own voice and then you will not have to copy anyone, on purpose or not.

When you learn the basic things about singing, you can already discover that you put 'a personal touch' on everything that you sing.

If you need some tips on how to do this, feel free to ask ;) .

Battlelore singer: Kaisa,cool girl,met her once :)

Reply to Discussion or Return to Extreme Metal forum