"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Whats the appeal

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> Whats the appeal

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 27 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 27 1 2 Last
Jul 16, 2009 3:17 AM ET #1 (permalink)

I was just wondering what the appeal is to really hardcore bands such as cannibal corpse or six feet under or other bands with screamo kind of vocals where you cant really tell what they are saying. I'm just curious.

Jul 16, 2009 7:22 AM ET #2 (permalink)

Red

It's good douche bag !

Jul 16, 2009 12:08 PM ET #3 (permalink)

For a lot of people, it's not the vocals that draw people to more extreme bands, it's the level of musicianship and talent.

Jul 16, 2009 2:09 PM ET #4 (permalink)

In addition, how it's done is also a factor. Opeth uses both clean and gutteral depending on the message/mood of the lyric. Lamb of God is also done well, but from a different angle. Randy uses different parts of his throat to emphasize the message/mood. It's an aquired taste and to be honest, some I like and some I don't. Suicide Silence is a perfect example of what I don't like.

Jul 16, 2009 4:46 PM ET #5 (permalink)

For me it's pretty simple. I don't have to understand what the vocals are saying; if it sounds good that's all I need. When the rhythm is good but the vocals don't match, it just kills the entire thing. That being said, when the vocals suit the rhythm, it makes a band distinct.

Jul 16, 2009 5:49 PM ET #6 (permalink)

"I was just wondering what the appeal is to really hardcore bands such as cannibal corpse or six feet under or other bands with screamo kind of vocals..."

Die.

Jul 16, 2009 6:27 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Yes, IN? You said my name?

Jul 17, 2009 1:01 AM ET #8 (permalink)

I wasn't trying to sound like a douchebag, I apologize if it came off that way. I can totally understand what you are getting at though, I have a lot of respect for the musicians and the level they play at in a lot of metal bands. But it always seemed to me that the vocalists made bands more distinct and I'm sorry if I am seeming ignorant but a lot of the bands seem to sound very alike and I have a hard time determining one band from another.

(This post was last edited on July 17, 2009 at 1:02 AM ET.)

Jul 17, 2009 1:54 AM ET #9 (permalink)

Actually Blob raises a good point about death metal. There are a lot of bands that have a very generic sounding growl. The problem is compounded when the vocalist has no range and every lyric sounds the same. Blob brought up Cannibal Corpse and that's actually a pretty good example. Sure they have humorously offensive lyrics ("This one's for all the ladies out there - Fucked with a knife!!!") but their sound is pretty damn generic (of course they kind of started that sound, so there's a different standard for them).

The appeal of growling music, at least for me, is in what they do with it. How the band expands on the sound or experiments with it. Bands like Opeth where the vocalist can not only make growls sound different but also have superb clean singing as well. The backing music plays a big effect also. Imagine an Opeth track with Cannibal Corpse on vocals. It would be truly, utterly terrible. Ihsahn is another great example where the shrieks all sound different and he's got a pretty good set of clean pipes on him too. Take a listen to "The Pain Is Still Mine" on his first solo album "The Adversary." He's a black metal god who could also perform in an operatic musical.

Sometimes the extreme vocals really define the music and take it to another level, giving it an atmosphere that clean singing can't match. Take "Cruelty and the Beast." Can't imagine it any other way but that with Dani Filth's high pitched shriek. Other times its less about the atmosphere and more about the energy. Nothing gets you headbanging like a good long string of hellish growls matching the pace of the guitars and drums.

If the guttural nature of the growls are problem for you because you can't understand the lyrics, there are plenty of bands that growl but still come off as mostly understandable. Moonspell's latest album "Night Eternal" is a good example. Mostly growled, but a good portion of the lyrics are clearly identifiable, and the vocalist has a cool Portuguese accent to boot.

Course, that's just me. Some people love the standard death metal sound and hate the aforementioned bands. Everybody's got their own tastes.

(This post was last edited on July 17, 2009 at 2:01 AM ET.)

Jul 17, 2009 4:49 AM ET #10 (permalink)

Hahahah Blob asks a question, Red and IN come off sounding like complete idiots. Well done guys.

Great posts, everyone else.

Edit: Oh, and anything I would have said in response to Blob's question has been said already, other than to point out that there is a difference between death growls and screamo. Think the difference between trying to sound like a lion and trying to sound like a tree full of galahs. I personally cannot abide screamo. Or galahs.

(This post was last edited on July 17, 2009 at 4:54 AM ET.)

Jul 17, 2009 8:04 AM ET #11 (permalink)

Cannibal Corpse is a great example of a lousy singer fucking up an otherwise decent band. Chris Barnes is just an awful mic swallower who should have never started gurgling

Jul 19, 2009 2:56 AM ET #12 (permalink)

"Think the difference between trying to sound like a lion and trying to sound like a tree full of galahs"

No one else here will get this one man.

Jul 19, 2009 10:20 AM ET #13 (permalink)

cannibal corpse rules
and i do even understand the dude

but lissen to kreator best death metal album of the year

if you look for a band who you cant understand
lissen to hail of bullits

Jul 19, 2009 10:07 PM ET #14 (permalink)

Wiggles - yeah, I probly should've used a different analogy, in hindsight. How about 'a kitchen full of women'? :P

Jul 19, 2009 10:44 PM ET #15 (permalink)

Well I dunno wtf a galla is, but I laughed out loud imagining some screaming monkey type animal. Guess I should look it up, but no time.

Jul 20, 2009 11:27 AM ET #16 (permalink)

It really is an acquired taste. The only way to like coffee is to drink enough. Then when you get the taste you can taste the differences between the brands. I suggest starting with Cannibal Corpse and working your way down the spiral until you find something you really enjoy.

Jul 20, 2009 8:55 PM ET #17 (permalink)

Oh, man, Galahs aren't no laughing matter. They're like cockatoos or whatever, birds, you know, only they have the most hideous, horrible, teeth-grating, banshee-on-rags screech, they are hell on wings, man.

Monkeys woulda been a pretty funny image tho hahah

Jul 21, 2009 5:35 AM ET #18 (permalink)

They are horrid birds. Imagine that horrible noise a bunch of 15 year old girls make when they see each other, but not just 3 or 4 but a whole flock of them!

Jul 21, 2009 7:56 PM ET #19 (permalink)

Yeah, that's good just the same, even if it's not a monkey. Vocals don't usually bother me though. I used to get hung up on them, but once I got over that on a number of bands (from deicide to lamb of god to the haunted), there aren't many styles that really bother me except the high pitch wailing falsettos of power metal and the high pitch screeching of black metal (especially live when it is skull-piercing).

Jul 21, 2009 7:56 PM ET #20 (permalink)

When I started listening to metal as a teenager, I always thought that lots of 'dirty' vocals were easy cop-outs for people that couldn't or didn't want to sing, and I didn't really like the vocals from Slayer (!), much less other bands. I did love Dio though. As I have listened to ever more metal with 'dirty' vocals over the years, I have changed my tune.

Some bands do use it as a cop-out, and it kills the music. It is really easy to have a bad growl, because then it is just annoying shouting. But it is just as easy to have bad clean vocals too.

Dimmu Borgir I think has always been a pinnacle of fantastic 'dirty' vocals. While lots of the more mainstream 'core music here in the U.S. is a great example of a bunch of kids shouting for no reason except it is what Killswitch Engage does.

Jul 21, 2009 8:18 PM ET #21 (permalink)

Perhaps my biggest frustration when I speak to music fans is when they talk about death metal etc., and say "it's just a bunch of yelling, I could do that, there's no effort in it"

Tell that to Stu Block you ignorant twat. (Into Eternity)

I will admit that six feet under and early Cannibal Corpse is a horrible starting point to death vocals. Chris Barnes uses one of the more banal and easy death growls in the genre. Then again, seeing as he helped pioneer the style, can you really yell at him? Would you yell at the man who invented the wheel just because he didnt think to add rubber and pressurized air?

For the extreme vocals, i would start with Lamb of God or Devildriver. Most of their vocals are fairly understandable, making them more accesable to people not comfortable with the style.

Now Playing: Driven by rage- Run for your Life

Jul 21, 2009 9:46 PM ET #22 (permalink)

I actually didn't like Slayer in the early days due to the vocal delivery. It sounded more shouted and less mad to me. I still like the classics, but they have a lot of variance overall (contrary to popular opinion of Slayer).

Jul 21, 2009 10:39 PM ET #23 (permalink)

I kinda went the other way- I started out loving the dirty vocals, and anything too clean just bored me. I think I felt like there wasn't as much raw emotion in clean singing as there can be in shouting and screaming. Eventually I came around, now I love both unless it's done rubbishly. The whole Power Metal falsetto thing, tho, that still grates me sometimes lol

Oh and that whole opera metal type thing like Nightwish or Lacuna Coil or whatever does, I still havn't developed an ear for that yet either.

Jul 21, 2009 11:24 PM ET #24 (permalink)

The overly cheesy power metal annoys me, but stuff like Blind Guardian is just great. I can't stand the screechy black metal stuff either. One of the supposed classic black metal albums is "Dusk and Her Embrace". Musically, I dig it, but all the screeching gets annoying fast. All of the mic-in-mouth crap is junk as well.

Jul 23, 2009 1:12 AM ET #25 (permalink)

Y

"Screamo vocals?" I don't listen to anything with "screamo vocals," but as for screams and growls, black metal and death metal create certain atmospheres and generally have certain messages that vocals like the ones used in the two genres are perfect for. Accompanied by the music, lyrics and moods of hate, death, evil... etc., having something that sounds so malevolent deliver these messages, completing that wall of sound... that's why growling/screaming vocals in more extreme genres of metal are "appealing" to the musicians and fans.

(This post was last edited on July 23, 2009 at 1:13 AM ET.)

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum