"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Angelspeak is rockin' for the Rock

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> Angelspeak is rockin' for the Rock

Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 53 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 53 1 2 3 Last
Jul 20, 2009 4:24 PM ET #26 (permalink)

Did someone mention me.?

Jul 20, 2009 5:13 PM ET #27 (permalink)

now that's more like it...some actual conversation instead of just ignorant put-downs. It is actually my ignorance that made me post on this forum in the first place. I didn't realize how "hard core" it was. I was new to the site, and just thought there might be some listeners who like melodic rock too. My mistake...Anyway, thanks to those who at least gave the music a listen. In addition, I am not close-minded when it comes to music. I listen to lots of secular stuff, probably more so than Christian, just because I don't like a lot of the Christian songs--I do like some loud guitars and heavy drums with my melodies. So, let's just agree to disagree...you guys can have your hard core forum, and I'll take my pop metal elsewhere.

Jul 20, 2009 5:44 PM ET #28 (permalink)

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out ;-)

Jul 20, 2009 5:49 PM ET #29 (permalink)

Fair enough Angelspeak, but there is NOTHING even REMOTELY metal about your band. Loud guitars with distortion (which you have little of) and mid tempo drumming are hardly enough to classify as a metal influence. You may gladly take your Christ-pop elsewhere while we enjoy our METAL here.

Jul 20, 2009 6:35 PM ET #30 (permalink)

I think it was more of the complete ignorance that one must have to post a Christian rock band on a metal site that annoyed me. Talk about not knowing your demographic! And I agree with Godlike 100%, man.

Jul 20, 2009 7:06 PM ET #31 (permalink)

Inferno: It is simply not knowing the water in which you tread. Not all Christian metal is bad metal. Just like not all "metal", is actually "good metal". Granted, the better metal is normally the more secular stuff, which is why I listen to it, but every now and then, a good Christian band comes along and rips faces. The days of 80's and 90's "Christian metal", are long gone. In this age, it is actually metal.

Jul 20, 2009 7:22 PM ET #32 (permalink)

I know a lot of the regulars here really hate the idea of "unblack" metal, but anyone who likes black metal and is interested in stuff with a more Christian slant should check out Fearscape. It's pretty damn impressive, and that's coming from a militant atheist. I don't agree with what they sing about, but their music is awesome.

I do have to disagree with Angelspeak on the idea that music that attempts to spread Christian values is somehow "positive" though. Apparently he's never read Deuteronomy 21:18-21, or Exodus 22:18, or Leviticus 25:44-46, or any of those other verses in the Bible that espouse "positive" values.

Jul 20, 2009 8:36 PM ET #33 (permalink)

yeah stupid me
just talked to godlike on my email
he has problems with internet

dudes se ya in 4 days going to cali tomorow
to pablo escobar country

Jul 20, 2009 9:38 PM ET #34 (permalink)

Mortal Treason is another good one.

Jul 20, 2009 9:38 PM ET #35 (permalink)

Getting a bit off-topic here, but I was extremely surprised to see that you posted an Of Ravens & Ruins review, xFiruath. It would be pretty sweet to see them go farther than just being a local Houston band in the future.

Jul 20, 2009 10:17 PM ET #36 (permalink)

AP1: They said they were Christian rock. I've not listened to much "Christian metal" (besides that "unblack" stuff and even then I do not care) and do not care for it, but over where I am, there is way too fucking much Christian rock. When a band calls themselves Christian rock, I automatically shut down. If it were "Christian metal" that they labeled themselves as, the story would be different.

Jul 20, 2009 10:22 PM ET #37 (permalink)

You know whats really great? Jewish metal. Check out Salem, if you want something a bit softer than Opeth, but still in the same vein of metal. Good stuff, that i have yet to fully explore myslef, but so far, awesome.

Now Playing: Shadows Fall- Failure of the Devout

Jul 20, 2009 10:27 PM ET #38 (permalink)

There's some pretty interesting Islamic black metal and doom metal bands out there, although they are almost all uniformly little one man acts or really underground bands that haven't gotten anywhere.

On the subject of Of Raven & Ruins (just to clarify in case the abrupt change gives a certain impression - they aren't a Christian band), I can't believe how good they were. For an unknown band they have such a polished and complete sound. It's kind of a tragedy that they aren't more well known. I'll have an interview coming out with them before too long too.

Jul 22, 2009 4:34 PM ET #39 (permalink)

LOFL AP1! godlike's back on the road Brother.

Jul 22, 2009 7:29 PM ET #40 (permalink)

See??? That's right bitches!!!!! Even this shit economy can't hold God down!!!!!

Told ya'll.

Jul 22, 2009 8:17 PM ET #41 (permalink)

FAN - The problem with jewish metal is...well...it just don't have any balls :P

Jul 23, 2009 1:19 AM ET #42 (permalink)

Y

"that's cool guys...you don't have to like the music! there are plenty of people who do. just thought the people on this forum were a little more open-minded and could accept something positive for a change. But, unfortunately, all you guys seem to know about is lame Creed jokes (a band that I don't personally like, but who have sold more concert tix and albums than all of you combined) and even lamer South Park references. At least quote some Family Guy or something...I mean, "What the Deuce?"'

I have opened up my mind to the idea of religion before and it did not make its way in. Your religion is not a positive thing, despite all of the smiling you may do in church.

(This post was last edited on July 30, 2009 at 2:09 AM ET.)

Jul 23, 2009 11:45 AM ET #43 (permalink)

Y, dude I swear to God, if you were older than 12, I'd be surprised.

Jul 23, 2009 12:13 PM ET #44 (permalink)

Terminator -- You mean "chutzpah" right? You folks are all meshuggah!

Jul 23, 2009 7:03 PM ET #45 (permalink)

I thought Y was a chick? *Blinks eyes... Farts and blinks eyes again* Are we done with the whole Christian rock thing? *Farts and looks around* Anyone here?

xFiruath: Lol. A Militant Atheist who can quote bible passages huh? You're a dangerous man indeed. \m/\m/

Jul 23, 2009 10:19 PM ET #46 (permalink)

Hah, I don't know if I'd go for "dangerous," but definitely "aware." I was raised in an extremely religious home, which meant that besides Sunday school, church, youth group, mid-week Bible study, and Christian summer camp I also had the pleasure of attending Christian school for several years. So my knowledge of the Bible and popular Christian culture are pretty extensive, and that's one of the major reasons why I'm not a member of their religion. Remember "double-think" from the book 1984? You have to go just far enough to stop asking questions, otherwise you realize the whole thing is pretty ludicrous (apologies to our resident Christian metal heads. I don't mean to offend, that's must my opinion).

That being said, just because a band is Christian doesn't mean their music will be bad, but they sure do leave themselves open to ridicule moreso than other bands.

On the thoroughly anti-Christian side, I've got a review of the new Behemoth coming up soon. Death metal fans rejoice, it's as awesome as you thought it would be.

Jul 23, 2009 10:43 PM ET #47 (permalink)

Y

I have yet to hear any good Christian metal.

Jul 23, 2009 10:44 PM ET #48 (permalink)

Y

On that note, Christian black metal is hilarious.

Death to all of the non-believers! Kill all Satanists. "Invert the inverted cross!"

Jul 24, 2009 11:43 AM ET #49 (permalink)

xFiruath: By dangerous I meant to a Christian who unknowingly get's into a debate with a Militant Atheist such as yourself. Lol.

Jul 24, 2009 11:19 PM ET #50 (permalink)

Actually, "Y" an inverted cross is about as Christian as it gets. It originated from St. Peter, who was crucified upside-down by his own request. He felt that if he was going to be executed, he was not worthy to be killed in the same fashion as Christ.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum