"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Christian Metal

Posted in: Forum Home >> Extreme Metal >> Christian Metal

Displaying posts 51 - 70 of 70 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 51 - 70 of 70 1 2 3 Last
Mar 11, 2010 4:06 PM ET #51 (permalink)

To all their own. If you wanna write music about god go for it. If you want to be evil and write about satan go for it. Music is a form of art. Its a way for people to express them selves. If every one wrote about the same things all that would take away from the artistic value of even writing music.
As with glenn I like deicide but its just a show. Wasnt he supposed to kill him self when he turned 33 but he did not. I think he does not like religion. He writes because he hates religion and throws in the whole sataninsm for the hell of it.
It has also always bugged me that the inverted cross on his fore head is off centered. You would think that if you were going to go that far you would make sure that it was centered.

Mar 11, 2010 4:54 PM ET #52 (permalink)

Hollow: theres no need to explain... you can tell that they ripped them off in every way

LDB: yeah Gwar is a joke, but they know it =P which is why they are so fucking awesome imo

Mar 11, 2010 5:29 PM ET #53 (permalink)

"Wasnt he supposed to kill him self when he turned 33"

Man Glen will regret saying that for a long time. Simply put, he was off his face drunk and talking shit to some reporter looking to make a name for himself.

"joke bands for preteens =p"

I don't doubt for a second I have a preteen inside of me that controls most of what I do - including being a big GWAR fan :P

Mar 11, 2010 5:44 PM ET #54 (permalink)

I like them both, I just don't take either band too seriously =)

Mar 11, 2010 5:51 PM ET #55 (permalink)

CoHace: I think it's quite clear that you're a simple follower to what people say on the internet if you can't give a reason. I see idiots on YouTube who comment on Lordi's music videos, crying about how they "ripped off" GWAR because Lordi wore costumes and became popular in a short period of time.

Lordi has even said themselves, they didn't have any idea who GWAR was until people started making a big deal about it. Calling Lordi rip-off's because they wear costumes is pathetic and stupid. There were bands long before GWAR who wore costumes. KISS, Twisted Sister, Motley Crue, just to name a few.

It would make more sense to criticize Lordi if their costumes were the same as GWAR's, but they aren't which is the reason why calling Lordi a "rip-off" makes no sense.

(This post was last edited on March 11, 2010 at 6:02 PM ET.)

Mar 11, 2010 9:52 PM ET #56 (permalink)

Ive seen Gwar like 4 times in my life. I dont necessarily like their music that much but they play with great bands and I get a kick out of coming out of the concert covered in pink or green or red goo everytime. Its awesome. They know how to put a concet together.

Mar 11, 2010 10:59 PM ET #57 (permalink)

Hollow: first off, your a judgmental bitch so stfu
second, make up isnt a mask
three, its sad that you bring your youtube buddies into this

Mar 11, 2010 11:16 PM ET #58 (permalink)

Relax, CoHace. Please take a second view at what I posted.

I am not judgemental. Make up isn't a mask, I never said it was. However, make up does fall under the costume/attire category since it is used in costumes. And I don't know why you would cry over me mentioning GWAR fans trolling over Lordi music videos on YouTube. They are not my "buddies". I do what most people with common sense do, and ignore them.

All I asked was how is Lordi a GWAR rip-off? You said it is quite obvious and I asked how so. I've been a fan of Lordi since their debut album and I know a thing-or-two about GWAR and there is nothing "obvious" between both bands.

Mar 12, 2010 1:38 AM ET #59 (permalink)

Okay children calm down, Lordi blows, Gwar rules, discussion over.

Mar 12, 2010 2:50 AM ET #60 (permalink)

Both bands are good. :)

Mar 12, 2010 9:06 AM ET #61 (permalink)

yo no comprende
what the fuck exsplain this to me people christian death metal?
means the pope will start to burn churches

but i do like stryper
me as a non believer like the music of stryper hahah

Mar 12, 2010 11:44 AM ET #62 (permalink)

Hollow: alright fine, im sorry i lashed out like that

but you said: I think it's quite clear that you're a simple follower to what people say on the internet if you can't give a reason.

to me thats kind of judgmental, i didnt base my opinion on what others said, i was just reading a Hit Parader mag (my brother got it not me) and Lordi was number 95 or something on greatest bands to see live and their description said "they had inspiration from Gwar" also to me they look awfully similar to them.

"Lordi has even said themselves, they didn't have any idea who GWAR was until people started making a big deal about it. Calling Lordi rip-off's because they wear costumes"

I highly doubt that Lordi has no idea who Gwar was when they started because Gwar was around since the like 1988 or something and Lordi since 1996. Gwar has been a well known band then and now, its unlikely that they havent heard of them. to theres only 2 reasons why they would say that. 1. its an excuse and 2. they truely didnt know who Gwar was because they dont pay attention to popularity, if that is the case then i take back my comment about Lordi being rip-offs

Mar 12, 2010 1:01 PM ET #63 (permalink)

Lordi on comparisons to GWAR:

"Well, personally, I don't know their music so well, but I think they look cool! It's great to have different kind of bands and music in the world. I hope to meet them one day. I guess they must be distant family members for us..."

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=28317

Mar 12, 2010 2:20 PM ET #64 (permalink)

was there ever a celebrity death match between gwar and lordi? cuz if there wasn't...there should've been :]

Mar 12, 2010 4:15 PM ET #65 (permalink)

LBD: huh..... well then i guess i was wrong, i take it back then

Mar 12, 2010 6:10 PM ET #66 (permalink)

CoHace: Lordi is from Finland. Has GWAR ever toured Finland? Believe it or not, Lordi never heard of GWAR until people made a big deal about it. I assume the GWAR fans who spammed Lordi's message board, YouTube account and MySpace got their message across. But if a band hasn't heard of another band, then it's not really anyone's fault. Haven't you ever come across a band that sells out arenas around the world and never heard of them?

I'll be honest with you. I had no idea who GWAR was until I discovered Lordi. Sure, I heard the name before. But I never knew they dressed up in costumes or anything.

But like I said, there have been bands before GWAR who wore costumes. GWAR may have an attitude towards Lordi, but Lordi doesn't have an attitude towards GWAR. No matter what happens or what kind of band is formed, there will always be critics who claim one band is ripping off another. Metallica and Megadeth? Slipknot and Mushroomhead?

(This post was last edited on March 12, 2010 at 6:12 PM ET.)

Mar 12, 2010 6:45 PM ET #67 (permalink)

Dude like who the fuck wore costumes before Gwar? Kiss? Alice Cooper? New York Dolls? Uhhh Gwar were the first to wear legit costumes not just faggy makeup and high heels, I wouldn't call being a drag queen a costume.

Mar 12, 2010 11:01 PM ET #68 (permalink)

SM i totally agree and i mean the costumes are just one thing. GWARS shows are amazing and i happen to be a little biased considering im from va

Mar 13, 2010 3:43 PM ET #69 (permalink)

Hollow: wasnt Megadeth made by one of the guys from Metallica? and Mushroomhead and Slipknot idk cause i dont care about them

yeah i guess you have a point there, there are bands i havent heard of that have sold out, but a lot of them are from genres i dont even listen to, for metal i discovered them over time so i guess it also has to do with what you like as well.

Mar 13, 2010 4:26 PM ET #70 (permalink)

I enjoy Living Sacrifice and older Demon Hunter. Not bm-styled bands, but I like 'em. A lot of metalcore bands speak Christian values too.

I don't enjoy either Gwar or Lordi.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Extreme Metal forum