"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Is this Moshing?!

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> Is this Moshing?!

Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 53 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 53 1 2 3 Last
Apr 4, 2010 6:38 AM ET #26 (permalink)

Sic!! Exodus!!! get up off your ass and toxic waltz!!
about this ninja dancing thats just gay i hate that shit

Apr 4, 2010 10:35 AM ET #27 (permalink)

yeah, I love the classic shove-pits, luckily, those are the only ones I've been in, as all the good local bands don't give a fuck about scene kids...and I hate fucking hardcore dancers...ugh...

Apr 8, 2010 11:29 AM ET #28 (permalink)

haha that throwdown stuff doesnt even exist here yet:P

we always have kickass mosh pits with this metallica-tribute band (yeah i know, i live in a small town this is how we get any decent live music) where we have mosh pits with maybe 5/6 friends and a couple of old drunks that decide to join in.

May 29, 2010 11:53 AM ET #29 (permalink)

I just hate it for the new-comers to metal..Because by the time they join in we've got all this HXC bullshit and they dont get to experience, the good old moshpits that we used to have.

May 29, 2010 9:23 PM ET #30 (permalink)

There was a Parkway Drive concert here about a year back. I swear, these Chinese guys actually knew Kung Fu, they were doing like backflips and all kinds of crazy shit. We fucked 'em up a bit, just for the metal spirit, and this guy's arm got real screwed up. Afterwards, these 6 guys who also knew Kung Fu jump me and my friend. Fun night.

Jun 3, 2010 5:48 PM ET #31 (permalink)

That kind of "moshing" or whatever has been going on for years. Yes, it's annoying. But they are usually very easy to simply push out of the way.

Jun 3, 2010 10:30 PM ET #32 (permalink)

Yeah I actually love shovin' kids like that over, they're the ones kickin' each other in the head but if you bump into them or shove them then somehow you're the one being a dick. Weird!!!

Jun 4, 2010 5:05 AM ET #33 (permalink)

I went to Black Dahlia Murder on Wednesday night.
and the amount of hardcore dancer there.

I mean , stereotypically the guys don't look like a straight up death metal band , but they ain't hardcore.

Got to hate the dance man , gotta hate it.

Jun 4, 2010 7:52 PM ET #34 (permalink)

^dude, it was the same thing when I saw them a month or two ago. Melodeath metal, the new album has only two or three breakdowns, most of them hidden very well within the songs, and somehow they have legions of hardcore kids in their pits? I understand, they had deathcore roots I suppose, but I mean come on.

Not to mention that the other two bands undercarding them were extreme tech-death(augury and Obscura) so you cant even blame the other bands for bringin em.

Thats why I'm so happy the next show I'm goin to is an all thrash bill. (overkill, Forbidden, Evile, Gama Bomb, Bonded by Blood) There are practically never hardcore dancers at thrash concerts. *crosses metal horn fingers*

Jun 5, 2010 8:43 PM ET #35 (permalink)

I don't understand FUN.

It's stupid.
The only thing remotely hardcore about the band is their first cd.
Black Dahlia Murder them selves where fucking awesome live tho.
Got to meet them all after the show too, really humble guys.

Good luck FUN , Sounds like a brutal concert coming up.

My next is Hellyeah in July.
Say what you like about them but I like them. haha

Jun 22, 2010 3:40 AM ET #36 (permalink)

What the fuck is this, I haven't seen it, but like what the fuck, I was at a Slayer show last week and thank god there were no dumb asses doing that shit, we gotta stop this shit and bring back ture metal and ture moshing

Jun 22, 2010 5:11 AM ET #37 (permalink)

"ture" metal and "ture" moshing? Hmmmmmmm, sounds pretty sweet!!!

Oct 7, 2010 6:00 PM ET #38 (permalink)

yes I've seen that before and it sucks
I'm in LA over here anytime someone starts doing that they usually just get run over by guys moshing
I was at a show once where it was like half the crowd was us, and half the crowd was them
we were spitting on them and everytime one of them went down everyone ran over to stomp them
it wasn't my fault everybody was just doing it
those kids dress different too, they kinda look like wiggers
thats considered "east coast" stuff over here, we invented circle pits in LA there's still plenty of them at every show out here

Oct 7, 2010 8:46 PM ET #39 (permalink)

Head walking is better.

Oct 8, 2010 11:19 AM ET #40 (permalink)

!!Disclaimer- The following post does not support hardcore dancing/flying ninjas/fists of fury/kung fu fists/spinning tornado feet/disco-fist-pumping, or any other kind of retard fuckery that might go on at a show. I'm just bothered at the fact some people think it's cool to fuck up someone else's good time just because they don't like what they're doing. That's immature.

I can't believe you guys can complain about people getting into the music and accidentally hitting you, but then it's okay to go after them? Up here in Jersey there are groups like the FSU that go out and target people at shows. They legit kill people at shows and beat the shit out of other people for no reason, and from what I've been reading you guys are being no better then them. Let everyone at the show have their fun, it shouldn't matter if you don't approve. Don't like it? Don't go to a show with hardcore bands on the bill! DERP

Stop whining, and take your business to the pit.

I think everyone just needs to man up. If you get elbowed in the back of the head and you think it was intentional, go after the guy and fuck his day up in the pit! haha. If you're getting elbowed in the front row, then you must not have been seeing a good band, because when I'm in the front row at a packed show there are a good 2 or 3 rows of people behind me pushing me against the barrier, but I don't have to worry about ninjas because i have those rows of people to take all the hits for me.

I know if I got hit at a show i'd swing like crazy, but that's just me. Some people like to get walked on and then complain about it. I'm not one of those people :P

(This post was last edited on October 8, 2010 at 6:04 PM ET.)

Oct 8, 2010 9:12 PM ET #41 (permalink)

Meh. Stand in the back, get no hassle, don't spill beer. Works for me.

Oct 9, 2010 1:30 AM ET #42 (permalink)

I agree with the last two posts.

Jan 27, 2011 7:30 AM ET #43 (permalink)

Mosh pits are pretty sad now. While personally I dont mind circle pits because in a large crowd they look pretty cool, making open pits for moshing is just retarded. Its not rocket science just go back to pushing and shoving in a tight crowd. Its not like theres never enough people in a mosh pit to do that; people are just to stupid to. As for this "throw down" technique I have yet to see it but I'll probably see something when I go to Mayhem this year

Jan 29, 2011 2:58 PM ET #44 (permalink)

Well if you like the music men just go for it...Bang your fu****king head

Feb 1, 2011 7:07 PM ET #45 (permalink)

Doesn't bother me. I don't get into pits like I used to though. If someone intentionally kicked me though, I'd smash a fucking bottle in their face.

Feb 7, 2011 7:29 PM ET #46 (permalink)

I've been to a good amount of gigs and festivals and witnessed and participated in many mosh pits, circle pits and been in the wall of death several times (even on the front line!). I've seen some pretty crazy shit going on in many of them (e.g. guys in the nude, people bleeding, etc), but I've never really seen anything out-of-place, no break dancing. I've seen people do the robot in a few pits and when I saw Turisas a load were river dancing! But most of those people who do things like that do it in an ironic way, it's a novelty (unless they're posers and break dancing or the robot are the only things they can think of). No, the pits I've been in were mostly proper run around, smash-into, punch, kick, jump, bounce, pile-onto, shove, pull-hair, gorilla-style... Nothing hip-hop (shit-hop) or gay dance/rave orientated.

I hate it when people try to make raves sound good. I once went to a rave, it was the most depressing thing ever. Most say it's only good if you're drunk or high, anyway. My friend's mates dragged him to a rap show once and he said it was so boring - Just a load of guys moving their arms up and down. And a bit of crappy break dancing.

The most violent gig I've ever been to was Slayer when they were at the Leeds academy last year. A large circle pit was spinning quick as shit, with the eye of the pit full of huge grown guys beating the shit out of each other. One of the greatest sights I've ever seen. The most surprising pit I’ve been in was when I saw Europe last year. The entire crowd was jumping so high, literally bouncing. The pit wasn’t too big, or violent but everyone was smashing into each other mid-air. Brilliant.

Whoever says mosh pits suck either hasn’t been in one (at least a proper, big, violent one) or has been and can’t handle the beating. To me, it’s a sport, it’s release, I love it. It’s grown on me with every show I’ve been to over the years, it’s perhaps the most fun I’ve ever had being physically hurt (aka getting the shit kicked out of me). Only really go into the pits when I’m not right at the front of the crowd, though.

\m/ - - \m/

Feb 7, 2011 8:18 PM ET #47 (permalink)

how do you start a pit do you just start punching people or what?

Feb 8, 2011 7:57 AM ET #48 (permalink)

@thrashhead: If you're a big guy, it's pretty easy.

For a typical pit start pushing and shoving people next to you or around you, this usually circulates with the people surrounding you, they'd join in and it should grow. Others may start a circle pit by running around, leaving people fighting in the middle - the "eye" of the pit, where it can be pretty damn brutal.

But consider:

It's gotta be to a "heavy" band - eg mostly any metal band and/or to hardcore punk. You can start a "novelty" pit, but if it's say, at a classic rock show then people may mostly be there to enjoy the band. Look for the mainly young guys, full of energy and hype or the big dudes (if you're brave), make sure the atmosphere is good, such as looking for people who look like they wanna mosh out, avoid tough dudes with drinks, start out on someone smaller, create a domino effect... That should help? Only really join in to most pits. So far…

Feb 8, 2011 9:01 AM ET #49 (permalink)

moshing is cool :D

Mar 14, 2011 12:04 AM ET #50 (permalink)

I was at an Evile show back in october. first time moshing. almost got my teeth kicked in and nearly broke a finger. loved it. keep real moshing alive.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum