"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Maiden, Priest or Sabbath

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> Maiden, Priest or Sabbath

Displaying posts 101 - 125 of 129 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Displaying posts 101 - 125 of 129 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Oct 21, 2010 12:17 PM ET #101 (permalink)

That is such a hard decision... because those are pretty much the 3 best metal bands that started it all.. The first Five Sabbath albums are unbelievable heavy and very diverse and amazing... Stained Class has to be my favorite priest album... Has anyone ever heard the song Beyond the Realms of Death?? It has one of the best solos Ive ever heard!! Of the three Iron Maiden is probably my least favorite just because their stuff is more adventurous and happy sounding... but they have written some musical masterpieces man like Rime of the Ancient Mariner...that song is EPIC

Oct 31, 2010 5:48 AM ET #102 (permalink)

Not a hard decision at all. I CAN NOT tolerate the vocals of Bruce Dickinson at all, I think he's horrible, and the albums made before he joined wasn't very good. And the ones when he was out for a period are just revolting. Not a big fan of Priest either, but at least I can enjoy them on occasion. Black Sabbath wins, just for having had several great vocalists in their line-up, and Ozzy not becoming shit until much later. And lets face it, Iommi is the master.

Oct 31, 2010 7:44 PM ET #103 (permalink)

Well, I like ozzy more than bruce, but bruce is by far a better singer. He is fantastic at singing, much better than ozzy. Ozzy is just a much better front man.

Dec 14, 2010 5:36 PM ET #104 (permalink)

Iron Fucking Maiden. 'Nuff said.

Jan 20, 2011 5:39 AM ET #105 (permalink)

sabbath. 'nuff said ;-)

Feb 3, 2011 6:37 PM ET #106 (permalink)

Very interesting topic. Very difficult topic. My kinda topic! =-)

Black Sabbath.

Well in my order it's gotta be... Sabbath, Maiden, Priest.

We all know that Black Sabbath were the first PROPER metal band, I know there were "heavy" bands such as Blue Cheer before them, but Sabbath were the first to perfect metal before they even knew it was called that. A very good blues-orientated band, all the guys in the band were great. I know there's better singers than Ozzy Osbourne but he like certain other singers "fitted in" with the band's chemistry, along with Tony Iommi's playing so much that I preferred Ozzy over Dio (even though Dio was ultimately the best singer they ever had. R.I.P.). I loved the first 4 Sabbath albums, everyone knows they're the true classics, but I enjoyed “Sabbath Bloody Sabbath” all the way up to the last album they made with Ozzy - “Never say Die“, then the ones after were good, especially with Dio. I used to (and still do) love strolling deep in the woods, climbing rocks or being anywhere in the countryside listening to the first album (probably my favourite so far) - "Black Sabbath". I think Tony is a superb player, the first proper metal guitarist, who could still play with the tips of his fingers cut off! So many bands have tried to recreate and achieve Tony’s signature sound and have never come close. Geezer Butler was a good bassist and Bill Ward has influenced so many drummers, so many. Not only was “Black Sabbath” the first heavy metal record, but it was also an influence on stoner and doom metal. After that, the rest of the albums and the band itself went on to influence basically every other great metal band after them. A pretty big achievement. I know Sabbath have basically split up, but I'm still waiting for another reunion... Though I was lucky enough to see Tony and Geezer last year at High Voltage fest in London. My favourite British band. Ever. \m/--\m/

Many would say Judas Priest are next, but Iron Maiden are one of my most favourite bands ever. Not only were they the favourite of all my mates in school, but the favourite of nearly all my friends today. How six guys (I know there’s been a few line-up changes over the years) could be in a band together, work well with each other to produce such brilliant music such as that and still make millions selling out huge stadiums all over the globe with barely any mainstream attention for over 35 years is just incredible. I love pretty much all of the albums, I liked Paul Di’Anno’s voice, he was pretty cool, I like to listen to the first two albums quite a lot, but Bruce Dickinson's voice is just so amazing, he alongside Steve Harris (who is a bloody good bass player) really glues the band together. Every one in that band is super-talented - the guitarists Dave, Adrian, and Janick, the crazy drummer Nicko... All bloody brilliant! Even though they went somewhat downhill during Blaze Bayley’s presence, they were still good and have never really sold out their style at all. They’ve influenced loads of bands, too. Loads. Saw them live up front last year and going to do the same again this year! Brill live band! Up the Irons! \m/--\m/

Although I prefer Sabbath and Maiden, Judas Priest are extremely important in terms of influence. They were even an influence on Maiden! If it wasn’t for my love for Maiden I’d say Priest would be next, deffo. I think most metal lovers will agree that Priest were the “next step” in metal after Sabbath. Priest took Sabbath’s existing style and developed their own style out of it, making the most distinctive change - Extracting the blues. Although Sabbath were heavy metal, their songs were very bluesy (which is great), then Priest came along, took apart most of the blues from their riffs and filled them in with more faster, heavier metal (which is fuckin’ awesome). K.K. Downing is a brill guitarist and Rob Halford is crazy but a brill front man with a unique high voice. Love it. I like pretty much all of their albums, but my favourite so far next to “Painkiller” and “Defenders of the Faith” is their early classic - “British Steel”. I love that album, every track is pure metal. The later stuff was just as good. \m/--\m/

Might have to come back to edit this sometime, but that’s pretty much the order it always has been for me regarding these three great bands.

Feb 3, 2011 7:22 PM ET #107 (permalink)

Damn - such a great thread! So I went to the hassle...

Purely on votes of just the favourite band (as the title says) it was Sabbath (11), Maiden (10), Preist (9) - Wow that's close! Interestingly, Giving secondary points of 3,2,1 for where people indicated, the order of favourite bands were unchanged.

Some notes:

-Yes, like you I am at a loss as to why I would spend my time counting this up instead of doing something productive.
-When typing quickly, there's an 90% chance I'll misspell Priest.
-I now have a massive mental craving for blasting some old-school Preist at full god damn volume!!

Feb 4, 2011 1:20 PM ET #108 (permalink)

@ Cynic: No shame in adding the results up, mate. Good on you! ;-)

Showed my mate this site and thread today, he's for Maiden.

\m/ -- \m/

Feb 14, 2011 4:59 AM ET #109 (permalink)

thats hard! like saying ice cream or chocolate. but i like Sabbath Dio years

Feb 14, 2011 9:06 AM ET #110 (permalink)

iron maiden! \m/ up the irons

Mar 3, 2011 4:56 AM ET #111 (permalink)

i have to say maiden, sabbath and then priest...i still go out walking late at night and listen to fear of the dark its one of y favorite songs

Mar 13, 2011 8:58 PM ET #112 (permalink)

crap this is the hardest decision ive ever made. but ill come to my decision now...
still cant make it. in my opinion, priest and maiden are both #1. I cant make the decision its too hard haha. I mean, priest has rob halford, the metal god, but maiden has bruce dickinson, one of the most amazing voices in metal.

Mar 14, 2011 6:55 AM ET #113 (permalink)

Go away...

Mar 14, 2011 5:16 PM ET #114 (permalink)

^Harsh.

Either way I think the decision is tough between Maiden and Priest but I honestly think they're both better than Sabbath.

Mar 15, 2011 11:04 PM ET #115 (permalink)

Iron Maiden is the greatest thing since sliced bread, oral sex and the internet. In fact, they outdate one of these three things.

Mar 15, 2011 11:39 PM ET #116 (permalink)

Never was a diehard Maiden fan because I caught on to them pretty late but I've just yesterday discovered their debut. That is one great album, I should have heard this 10 years ago.

Mar 16, 2011 9:41 AM ET #117 (permalink)

Yeah their first album is the only one I regularly listen to, fantastic album. After "Number Of The Beast" I think they lost their street edge, so I'm not a big fan of "Piece of Mind" onwards.

Mar 16, 2011 7:27 PM ET #118 (permalink)

I think I prefer Priest overall. Something about them grips me by the balls (and it isn't and never was Halford before anyone thinks to say so, lol)

I can't say why, but Maiden is just the close second, different styles. Sabbath I don't rate hugely - never really got into them sadly.

Apr 6, 2011 4:37 PM ET #119 (permalink)

ZMA

Judas Priest for me. I love all three bands. But Priest is my all time favorite band ever. I own every studio album they've ever done including the Tim Ripper Owens albums. Aside from that I also have most of the Halford albums and his Two album. I'd love to own Tiptons solo albums but I haven't gotten to it yet. Priest has always pushed the bar and moved it to a new level for metal in general.
When the glam movement got big Priest answered with Turbo, and when the thrash movement got big, they answered again with Painkiller one of my all time favs. When they reunited they show us they still had it with Angel Of Retribution. I'm sad to say Nostradamus was a slight dissappointment to me. But songs like Prophecy and Visions really have that Priest sound.
I'm really lookin' forward to their next album. It's sucks this is their last world tour.

Apr 9, 2011 10:21 AM ET #120 (permalink)

In order; Priest/ Sabbath/ Maiden. I've always loved Priest, they were one of the first bands that influenced my metalheadness. I do love Sabbath, but will always prefer Priest. Maiden are crackin, but my least favourite out of them all.

Apr 9, 2011 12:42 PM ET #121 (permalink)

For me its almost too close to call between priest and sabbath, think i'll go with sabbath first. Maiden's pretty good, but very hit-or-miss for me.

Apr 13, 2011 7:07 AM ET #122 (permalink)

The initiative taken for the concern is very serious and need an attention of every one. This is the concern which exists in the society and needs to be eliminated from the society as soon as possible.
====================
[url="http://www.sexyeditor.com"]cars for sale[/url]

Apr 13, 2011 9:19 AM ET #123 (permalink)

^^^ WTF?!?!?!?!

Apr 21, 2011 10:40 AM ET #124 (permalink)

R10

Place a checkmark in the Judas Priest box for me please! First metal album I ever bought was Point of Entry. Bought Maidens Number of the Beast not long after;so their number 2 for me. Didn't get into Sabbath until I had already bought Blizzard of Ozz @ Diary of a Madman. Late comer to Sabbath. Took me longer to appreciate they're stuff.

Oct 20, 2011 8:37 AM ET #125 (permalink)

Roo

Sabbath the gods of all metal, but Iron Maiden are one of the best. I'm not really into Priest.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum