"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Maiden, Priest or Sabbath

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> Maiden, Priest or Sabbath

Displaying posts 76 - 100 of 129 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Displaying posts 76 - 100 of 129 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Jun 28, 2010 5:21 PM ET #76 (permalink)

Dam this is a hard one, i gotta say Maiden, but sabbath and priest? hard to choose the second but Maiden for sure number one. Sabbath are one of the first

Jul 8, 2010 12:54 AM ET #77 (permalink)

Listening to "Virtual IX" right now, effin' fantastic album, don't care what anybody says.

Jul 9, 2010 6:20 AM ET #78 (permalink)

Damn I forgot about this. Glad it's back.

Isn't it called Virtual XI? I may be mistaken. But yes it's a great album, as are all Maiden albums. My favorite band from the good ol' days. Maybe ever.

Opinions on El Dorado single?

Jul 10, 2010 11:07 PM ET #79 (permalink)

Not too much of an old school metalhead, Maiden all the way here. (Which makes sense, cuz a lot of the bands I listen to were hugely influenced by them)

Jul 10, 2010 11:13 PM ET #80 (permalink)

Yeah your right it is "Virtual XI", my bad. That new El Dorado single is pretty tight, definitely nothing special and the "Final Frontier" will have some better tracks, at least I hope so anyway.

Jul 12, 2010 5:03 PM ET #81 (permalink)

It is pretty good, but with Maiden pretty good is not nearly good enough. I'm looking forward to their new album, dying for some new stuff from Maiden. I've overused all of my (digital) Maiden albums. If you can. But I love them. With all my heart. And they are performing 4 hours away from where I am in 2 weeks. And I'll be gone. Fuck.

Jul 12, 2010 8:12 PM ET #82 (permalink)

I wasn't impressed with "El Dorado" at all, to the point where I turned it off after 4 minutes. I look forward to the new video coming online tomorrow though.

Aug 20, 2010 2:17 AM ET #83 (permalink)

You can't really go wrong with any of them. If I had to choose I'd go Maiden, but I still love Sabbath and Priest to DEATH. Hopefully one day all three of them with go on tour together. That would be the most BADASS tour EVER.

Aug 20, 2010 9:43 AM ET #84 (permalink)

CARCASS!!
just kidding. I say, definately PRIEST! They've written so many amazing albums that will stand the test of time. Painkiller is my favorite album by them. It's incredible.

Aug 20, 2010 12:59 PM ET #85 (permalink)

MBN: you have a facebook?

Aug 21, 2010 1:25 AM ET #86 (permalink)

Alright, who here has gotten "The Final Frontier". Gotta say I was a little bit disappointed.

First of all, the intro leading up to the title track was just fuckin stupid and annoying and way the fuck too long, but the song ended up being okay though. Overall, the album is pretty slow, meaning slow mid-tempo songs the whole way through and just doesn't have that many catchy melodies. I also think the guitars sound a bit sloppy and lack the certain synchronicity they had on Brave New Word and Dance Of Death.

The Alchemist is a dope track though, really like that one. Also happens to be the shortest song.

Aug 21, 2010 6:53 AM ET #87 (permalink)

SpagMo: Agreed with everything you said. Except that I was more than a little disappointed. That intro can go fuck itself, and the rest of the songs are boring.

Sep 11, 2010 12:05 PM ET #88 (permalink)

i think it is sabbath cause they fucking created PARANOID

Sep 12, 2010 1:00 AM ET #89 (permalink)

^I hate it when people say a band is the best because of one song/album.

Sep 12, 2010 5:43 AM ET #90 (permalink)

must say priest and iron maiden
dont care so much about black sabbath

have to say sort of like the new iron maiden
not fast or heavy but some good songs on there good bass play love harris when he plays his bass
must say still one of best hardrock metal players around
love the song isle of avelon

and priest only the older stuff

Sep 13, 2010 9:38 PM ET #91 (permalink)

in terms of new releases, surprisingly, i would say sabbath comes out on top. Even though they were going by the name heaven and hell with dio and all, its still the same effin band, and the devil you know was an awesome album from beginning to end. The general consensus from most reviews ive read and what people are saying on here seems to be that final frontier kinda sucks, though im still gonna listen to it myself just cuz. As for priest, even though i didnt too much care for the singles i heard from it, nostradamus was received real well from what i hear, especially since its a concept album and all, which explains my distaste for the single songs i heard, and it shows that the band is willing to experiment this late in their career, so i give them props for that. So as of the past decade, its sabbath, priest, maiden. But thats irrelevent because iron maiden is still going to be packing soccer stadiums.

Sep 14, 2010 12:06 PM ET #92 (permalink)

Heaven and Hell does not count as Sabbath, "same effin' band", ummmmmmm........... NO!!!!

Maiden over all

Sep 14, 2010 12:16 PM ET #93 (permalink)

Although Judas Priest and Iron Maiden continue to tour and release new music, Black Sabbath takes the crown (especially with the Prince of Darkness) for best classic metal band. Black Sabbath was already doing worldwide tours before Maiden even started!

Speaking of classics though, just found out Joe Satriani is giving away a song from his new album for free, get it here!:
http://bit.ly/cEQilM

Sep 14, 2010 2:16 PM ET #94 (permalink)

^^
Why isn't it basically the same thing? The album "Heaven and Hell" was under the Black Sabbath moniker, and the only guy missing from that lineup on "The Devil You Know" was Bill Ward. He's a good enough drummer, but he wasn't nearly as integral to the sound as Iommi and Geezer, or Dio for that matter. Also, from my understanding, they only decided not to go by the original name the last time around to avoid legal issues and so the fans wouldn't come to shows expecting Ozzy-era material.

(This post was last edited on September 14, 2010 at 2:18 PM ET.)

Sep 14, 2010 10:46 PM ET #95 (permalink)

^Well thats just it dude, if I went to a Sabbath show and saw Dio onstage instead of the Ozz I'd a ripped my own dick off and chucked it at 'em. Nothing against Dio personally, I just love the early Sabbath albums with Ozzy to death and nothing they ever did with Dio could come within light years of Master of Reality or Vol. 4 (not to mention Paranoid or they're self-titled). Never got into Heaven and Hell or Mob Rules, I actually prefer the Born Again album with Ian Gillan.

Not to say that Ozzy "was" Sabbath, but they were WAY THE FUCK better with him and I'm not a Dio fan so............ there you have it.

Sep 15, 2010 11:21 AM ET #96 (permalink)

Gotcha. I love Ozzy-era Sabbath too, but (to me) he really wasn't/isn't a very good singer, just a guy who happened to be surrounded with kick-ass musicians. I thought Heaven and Hell was great instrumentally, and having Dio just made it even better, lol. I guess we just happen to disagree on the quality of the Dio-era albums. The funny thing is, I've never really liked the guy's (Dio) solo stuff, so it took me forever to actually bother checking out his stuff with Sabbath.

(This post was last edited on September 15, 2010 at 7:02 PM ET.)

Sep 15, 2010 6:41 PM ET #97 (permalink)

Haha yeah Ozzy isn't a great singer, but there's something about his voice I love. I just like hearing it.

Sep 15, 2010 8:16 PM ET #98 (permalink)

Ozzys got a particular ear for using his voice just right within the song...thats why whenever you hear a halford or dio rendition of ozzy era sabbath...it kinda sucks, even though their voices are top notch. And i really dont understand why it isnt the same band. Cannibal corpse has changed both guitarists and singers. Megadeth has changed everyone but fuckin dave for christsakes. But tony iommi and geezer with a sabbath singer and a new drummer cant be considered sabbath just for the sake of argument? Well then can someone tell acdc and led zeppelin to change their names for me? Cause noone can replace bonham, not even his son, and noone can replace bon, even if that dude has stage presence and a near identical voice.

Sep 16, 2010 4:40 AM ET #99 (permalink)

I was never really into maiden fan.I`ve owned number of the beast.but It didn`t attracted me
priest albums are classic.Painkiller is just great.I`ve owned just this album.

.sabbath i think is my favorite.specially paranoid album
Sabbath created both classic albums and doom metal genre
the genre that i love.
between sabbath and priest i choose sabbath.

Oct 10, 2010 8:19 PM ET #100 (permalink)

I like Iron Maiden the best just because I feel they consistently put out music I like. Both Black Sabbath and Judas Priest have songs that I love and other that I do not love so much. All three bands are great regardless.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum