"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Maiden, Priest or Sabbath

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> Maiden, Priest or Sabbath

Displaying posts 51 - 75 of 129 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Displaying posts 51 - 75 of 129 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Apr 8, 2010 8:31 PM ET #51 (permalink)

wolfs point is valid, maiden albums had a tendenancy to be very formulaic to the point of stagnation at time especailly around the time just before and after bruce left. like i said before it has gotten to the point where i hear a maiden song and though its not bad per say i just dont care what song it is or when i hear it again as ive heard it before many times over with a differnt title and lyrics

Apr 8, 2010 9:25 PM ET #52 (permalink)

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah but the AC/DC of metal? Ummm NO!!. Not valid, how about an explanation. Nobody is that formulaic except them (sorry if you're a fan).

"maiden albums had a tendenancy to be very formulaic to the point of stagnation"
Priest and Sabbath albums have a tendency to be quite formulaic as well if thats your argument. Yes, Priest have changed their sound over the years and gone through several phases musically, but, you cannot tell me that the songs on Screaming For Vengeance, although good, do not follow a similar formula. I sure wouldn't say Priest have the "most amazing" catalogue.

Apr 9, 2010 4:55 AM ET #53 (permalink)

(This post was last edited on April 9, 2010 at 4:57 AM ET.)

Apr 9, 2010 8:24 AM ET #54 (permalink)

Opinions, mate, opinions. Well, I can see what you're saying, but I'm just as boneheaded about Priest as you guys are about Maiden.
Gotta say, I love this; Metal fans defend their bands to the death (we probably won't have to go that far here, brothers ;) and that's great!

Apr 9, 2010 1:06 PM ET #55 (permalink)

opinions are like assholes everyone has one and they all stink. deal with it

Apr 9, 2010 5:49 PM ET #56 (permalink)

Alright cool, glad to see we're all on the same page. Wolf, agree to disagree, this wouldn't go anywhere, sorry about my little spaz.

Apr 11, 2010 3:55 PM ET #57 (permalink)

No worries, man!

May 2, 2010 12:04 PM ET #58 (permalink)

I can't choose between Sabbath and Maiden, too awesome. I never really got into Priest, but I'm trying to. Maiden's Powerslave is fucking beast, as is Sabbath's Paranoid.

May 2, 2010 6:05 PM ET #59 (permalink)

Yeah Powerslave is my favorite, for Sabbath, I'm gonna go with Vol. 4

May 2, 2010 11:55 PM ET #60 (permalink)

Btw, I just read your big long comment on page 2, SpagMo. I'm going to have to convert to Pastafarianism, 'cause you're my new god!!!

I agree with you on every point about Iron Maiden. I love how they stick to their sound, while still changing it up (rather than AC/DC, who don't change it up).

May 3, 2010 12:28 AM ET #61 (permalink)

Thanks bra, glad you think so!!!

May 3, 2010 5:44 AM ET #62 (permalink)

No problem :) I'm actually learning The Trooper on guitar right now.

May 3, 2010 11:38 AM ET #63 (permalink)

Coming in a bit late on this one, but many say that the first metal band was either The MC5 or Blue Cheer.

May 3, 2010 11:52 AM ET #64 (permalink)

ot sure about Blue Cheer but I would never call them metal. Alot of people call them the first punk band though which makes more sense.

May 4, 2010 1:36 AM ET #65 (permalink)

Blue Cheer the first punk band? That makes absolutely no sense, I think you mean the MC5 because they are widely regarded as an early punk rock band.

May 4, 2010 10:00 AM ET #66 (permalink)

Yeah I did. For some reason I missed out several words and letters there. Silly boy.

May 11, 2010 11:16 AM ET #67 (permalink)

I say Blue Cheer was the first really LOUD band, which many equate to the first metal band. I can't go there. MC5? Again... Can't go there. Black Sabbath was the first "truly metal" band ever. And regarding the origional topic: I like all 3. It just depends on my mood as to which I like better. I think Wolf's comparison of Maiden to AC/DC is pure genius. I never looked at it that way but after doing so, i'd have to agree. I believe this is why I sort of lost interest in Maiden after Powerslave. Oh and Best Sabbath album would again depend on my mood, but Master of Reality was incredible hands down.

May 12, 2010 1:24 AM ET #68 (permalink)

I dunno, I think the Jimi Hendrix Experience were probably the first really LOUD band.

"I think Wolf's comparison of Maiden to AC/DC is pure genius"

Don't mean to be a dick but................ fuck you!!!!!

May 12, 2010 4:01 AM ET #69 (permalink)

BG1, thank you, sir.
Spaghetti, we do not use harsh language around here, young man. This is the Metal Underground, heaven's sake! ;)

As for the 1st metal band ever, Well, I do not know. However, I shall enlighten you kind gentlemen that the world's very first metal musician was none other than Mr. Richard Wagner (22 May 1813 – 13 February 1883).

Mr. Wagner's song titles included "Das Liebesverbot (The Ban on Love)", "Siegfrieds Tod (Siegfried's Death)", one of his operas "Tristan und Isolde" was described after 70 rehearsals as "unplayable", plus the man named his villa as Wahnfried ("Peace/freedom from delusion/madness"). Also, what is openly known, one of this hugest fans was a certain Austrian politician by the name of Adolf Hitler.

Conclusion: A metalhead!
Rock on, Mr. Wagner, wherever you may ŕoam

May 13, 2010 2:05 AM ET #70 (permalink)

Love emm all , I wouldn't be able to choose.
Maybe more towards Maiden for me.
Love the live stuff.

May 13, 2010 12:38 PM ET #71 (permalink)

Wolf: Indeed Wagner was metal as was Motzart, and Berlioz may very well have been the first Black Metal artist. If i'm not mistaken, Wagner was also the first to tune down with that monstrosity of a bass instrument he used (can't remember what it was called but it took 2 people to play, one to fret and the other to bow).

Spagz: Sometimes the truth hurts man. I love Maiden, but nobody (not even them) can deny that they took a formula that worked and stuck with it for over 20 years. Anyone familiar with either band can easily tell by the first note (maybe 2) that it's Maiden or AC/DC.

May 13, 2010 4:31 PM ET #72 (permalink)

Well I think Maiden tweaked their formula a bit over the years, AC/DC? hell no. I'm not gonna get into this same argument again.

May 14, 2010 11:56 AM ET #73 (permalink)

It's just a general analogy spaggz, I don't think anyone implied that it defines Maiden or that they will forever be remembered as the AC/DC of metal. Chill brother.

May 16, 2010 4:19 AM ET #74 (permalink)

Still think it's a bit of a stretch but whatev's

Jun 28, 2010 3:28 AM ET #75 (permalink)

this is a hard one, but Sabbath because they were the first but Priest and Maiden are fucking amazing

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum