"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Maiden, Priest or Sabbath

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> Maiden, Priest or Sabbath

Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 129 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 129 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Mar 4, 2010 8:53 PM ET #26 (permalink)

Switch the top two on Oz's list, and that does it for me. Love 'em all.

Mar 4, 2010 9:12 PM ET #27 (permalink)

Maiden

end of discussion =P

Mar 5, 2010 12:31 AM ET #28 (permalink)

Personally I think Maiden's new album, The Final Frontier, will likely follow in the vein of A Matter Of Life And Death. I certainly hope I'm wrong though, I'd really like to hear them play a little more up-tempo songs, AMOLAD was a pretty slow paced record and kind of failed to attain my interest. But hey its Maiden you know it'll be a great album. And Yeah I also don't see why Tim "Ripper" Owens got so much hate when he joined Priest, I mean who else would they've gotten to replace Halford? I think he stood up fairly well. Jugulator had some cool tunes on it and a pretty heavy album all around but Demolition blew chunks into space, hated that album.

Mar 5, 2010 4:30 PM ET #29 (permalink)

Three of the original metal bands hmm....

Black Sabbath- Often considered the first metal bands and contain several doom metal influences. Although it has had alot of singer difficulties and changed their name to Heaven and Hell, they are still one of the greats. Just to add to it, their current singer invented the devil horns, which are now unfortuneatley overused, even during Emo concerts...

Iron Maiden- One of the most notable NWOBHM bands and has some of the most god-like vocals I've ever heard, not to mention the fact that they contributed in making 666 the most metal number of all time. Several metalheads have this band as their all-time favorite.

Judas Priest- Another British band, sometimes considered metal pioneers instead of Black Sabbath, but that is still widely up for debate, the singer for the most part(besides the Owens era), has had the Metal God, in it aka Rob Halford(who was also in Black Sabbath), they also contributed in making metal what it is today, and has one of the greatest and most peculiar vocalist of all time.

They all have hit albums such as Paranoid, British Steel, and The Number Of The Beast, along with many others, but if you ask me, my favorite is.... Judas Priest. xD.

Mar 5, 2010 6:45 PM ET #30 (permalink)

^Uhhhhhhhh dude, Halford was never in Sabbath - strike one.
"Often considered the first metal bands and contains several doom metal influences"

ummmm okay you seem to be implying that Sabbath drew influence from doom metal, except that Sabbath were the first and there were no doom metal bands before Sabbath. But Sabbath influenced many doom metal bands, in fact many would say they created the sub-genre.

"Judas Priest - Another british band, sometimes considered metal pioneers instead of Sabbath"
instead of Sabbath? uhhhhhhhh

Do you know what it means to pioneer a genre, both bands are pioneers, that is fact and is undebatable. Also, Sabbath never changed their name to Heaven and Hell, Sabbath seem to be on a hiatus of some sort or they're just done. Heaven and Hell is a different band featuring two original members of Sabbath, Iomi and Butler, and they play Dio era Sabbath songs as Dio is their singer. Mind you Heaven and Hell aren't exactly active at the moment either.

Not trying to be an asshole bud, just felt I needed to correct you.

(This post was last edited on March 5, 2010 at 6:47 PM ET.)

Mar 5, 2010 8:14 PM ET #31 (permalink)

^Uhhh dude, Halford was in Sabbath for three shows look it up.
Also I've met people who consider Black Sabbath to be rock and not metal, and Judas Priest to be the first overall.
There has been debate on who started metal, such as some say it could have even come from Cream and Jimi Hendrix and once again I've met people who say Judas Priest originated it.
And for Doom Metal it has stated that it is strongly influenced by early Black Sabbath. Some people consider them to be doom originators some people say it didnt begin until the 80s with Witchfinder General and Pagan Altar.

Mar 5, 2010 8:24 PM ET #32 (permalink)

I see what you were trying to say metalfan, SpagMo (your new name btw :P) was just trying to say just wasn't worded properly. Singing for a band live for a few shows doesn't mean you were ever "in" the band. Also you said "contain several doom metal influences" which is different to "contained doom metal characteristics which influenced doom metal".

Mar 5, 2010 8:51 PM ET #33 (permalink)

Halford did two shows with Sabbath in the early 90s when Dio threw a paddy about opening for Ozzy and then did one show with Sabbath in 2004 because Ozzy was ill. It's like saying the guy from All That Remains was/is a member of Killswitch Engage. Touring member yes, but that's not the same.

I definitely consider Sabbath to be metal, though they themselves have often refuted the term. As I said in a SOS article, Judas Priest were actually the first band to embrace the term, thus by some definition, are the first heavy metal band, but it's a huge debate and one that after being a metal fan for ten years, I don't care about anymore.

Mar 5, 2010 9:32 PM ET #34 (permalink)

its not a knock on Sabbath but Priest is the first Metal band even though i want to debate myself as i type this
Priest was influenced by Sabbath
Sabbath has the strongest overall catalog
Priest has the most aggressive sound but also made some questionable decisions in terms of some of their recordings
Personally i thought Ripper got a fair shake and would like to see him get another shot
Maiden has grown on me imo Powerslave is their best album
but their galloping baselines and fancy nature get on my nerves ALOT they sometimes remind me of rush and thats not a compliment in my book
excellent topic s_m

Mar 5, 2010 11:31 PM ET #35 (permalink)

Cynic- Yeah that was my bad with the speaking errors and crap... sorry SpagMo...
Gripper- Yeah it's Maiden that I find very god-like and classic sounding but Priest's agressiveness and lyrical theme is what makes them my favorite.

Mar 6, 2010 2:21 AM ET #36 (permalink)

Judas Priest

Plenty of classic hits. Plus, Glen and K.K. are legendary!

Mar 6, 2010 8:55 PM ET #37 (permalink)

Im gonna have to agree with Oz on this one, arguing over whether Priest or Sabbath were the first heavy metal band is a bit stupid but I'm gonna say this. Musically I think it was Sabbath, Black Sabbath - Vol. 4 were pretty heavy for their time, Priest in their early days weren't. Has anyone here heard Rocka Rolla, not heavy at all, in fact it's quite soft in my opinion. I think Priest started out as a rock band and kinda grew into a metal band as their sound progressed over their next few albums, Sad Wings Of Destiny, Sin After Sin, and Stained Glass. Priest were also probably the first band to really establish the metal look, the black leather and copious amounts of studs definitely helped solidify that. Their image and the fact that they embraced the term "metal" while many refuted it in my opinion is why many would believe Priest to be the first metal band. But to me, looks don't make metal riffs do, Sabbath always had the heavier riffs (in the early days anyway) so in my book Sabbath were the first.

Mar 7, 2010 5:30 AM ET #38 (permalink)

Maiden

Mar 23, 2010 4:51 PM ET #39 (permalink)

#1 Sabbath
the first is the best (they ARE the first metal band) Iommi's killer riffs, Geezer's epic bass lines, and 2 of the greatest front men of all time. they set the foundation for everyone from the doomyness of the early stuff to their peak with Ozzy on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath ( the following 3 albums were ok but the decline was evindent after SBS) to the return to greatness when working with Dio they have more great classic metal tunes than anyone. Born Again with Ian Gillan (of Deep Purple) was an ok album (zero the hero and digital bitch are good tracks) the rest of the catalog which one could consider "The Tony Iommi and occasionally Geezer Butler Band" did decline pretty badly however
#2 Priest
One could argue then when it comes to influence Priest are on top. sabbath set the foundation Priest singlehandedly defined the style of metal for the next decade and beyond. yes priest have faltered occaionaly but they early work is classic metal at its best and when they did fade in the mid 80s they returned with a great album like Painkiller. the twin attack of downing and tipton is amazing and again one of the best men to ever grab a mic in Halford, followed up by a wholly competent replacement in Ripper Owens (unlike Blaze those albums were horrible) whom was a great fit on the Jugulator album a departure from their ealry work but a great 90's metal album, heavier and more stripped-down than in the past, the follow up Demolition saw owens again in fine form but was'nt a great album. then we have the return of Halford with one of the best comeback albums of all time with Angel of Retribution sees the band in fine form 30years after the start.
#Maiden
took the reigns of metal and brought it to the world easily the most "popular" band to not wholly suck. started out strong with the di'anno period which by some is considered their best work, and then picked up a truly powerful presence in dickinson which worked quite well but after churning out 7 albums started to grown in my opinion quite stale which is especailly evident on the following albums with blaze who was no help but not the only reason those album are best forgotten. the return of bruce to maiden has been hit and miss some good stuff some bad (dance of death)and my interest in them has faded. maiden tunes to me although i still like them have become virtually interchangeable i can hear one and not really care which one it is and not care if i dont hear another one for a while.

that just my opinion on 3 great bands that everyone should listen to and could never fault anyone for claming any of the 3 as their favorite band

Mar 23, 2010 9:53 PM ET #40 (permalink)

"Priest singlehandedly defined the style of metal for the next decade and beyond"
Mmmmm....... what about when extreme metal surfaced in the mid-late 80's, I wouldn't call Priest's sound definitive of any decade although they became huge in the 80's.

"Maiden
took the reigns of metal and brought it to the world easily the most "popular" band to not wholly suck"
More popular than Metallica? Maiden doesn't partially suck btw. And the Blaze album aren't that bad, I think they're better than anything Sabbath ever did after Mob Rules, cept Dehumanizer, also better than a few Priest albums (Turbo, Demolition).

(This post was last edited on March 24, 2010 at 12:08 AM ET.)

Mar 23, 2010 10:23 PM ET #41 (permalink)

"Maiden doesn't partially suck"

I lol'd, and agreed.

(This post was last edited on March 23, 2010 at 10:24 PM ET.)

Apr 2, 2010 11:42 PM ET #42 (permalink)

I like all 3, though I have to say, Judas Priest first, Maiden second, Sabbath last. Painkiller and Hellion/The Electric Eye are just too awesome and the album Screaming For Vengance is amazing

Apr 3, 2010 1:42 AM ET #43 (permalink)

Thanks for publishing my comment...
Sara

[url=http://www.fastrealestate.com.au/brisbane.htm]Brisbane property[/url]

Apr 3, 2010 8:43 PM ET #44 (permalink)

^ Pffft! Fail...

Apr 4, 2010 1:53 AM ET #45 (permalink)

oh my christ....DONT MAKE ME CHOOSE!!!! XD im gunna have to say maiden, then a VERY CLOSE second for sabbath, then priest.

maiden i can be in ANY mood for and be bangin' my head all night \m/
sabbath is the same
but priest i gotta be in that certian mood or that certian time for it, they're kick ass, but it still has to be right for me

Apr 5, 2010 10:56 AM ET #46 (permalink)

Sabbath, Maiden, Priest in that order!!!!

Apr 8, 2010 5:26 AM ET #47 (permalink)

i will have to say Priest, Maiden and i wouldnt even put sabbath with them i respect there lineage but in my mind not up to par

Apr 8, 2010 11:40 AM ET #48 (permalink)

Priest is #1. No question. They've simply got the most amazing catalog of the whole lot. Sabbath is #2, cos hey, they're the godfathers of Metal. And Maiden... well, I used to love 'em (my 1st ever gig was Maiden with Anthrax back in 1990), but they've really become the AC/DC of harder metal, meaning they keep on making the same album over and over again (to my ears)

Apr 8, 2010 3:37 PM ET #49 (permalink)

well that offends me trying to say ac/dc keeps making the same stuff, you just have to be a real fan to understand.

Apr 8, 2010 5:48 PM ET #50 (permalink)

WOLF7 on Iron Maiden: "they've really become the AC/DC of harder metal, meaning they keep on making the same album over and over again"

Dude, being a diehard Maiden fan, I'm taking offense to that dumbass remark. You couldn't be further from the truth my friend. I own every Maiden album, live album, and the box set "Eddies Archives". I have listened to their entire catalogue through and through many, many times. You obviously have not. Making the same album over and over again? Dude, not to be a dickhead, but that's the most retarded shit I've heard in a long time. "Iron Maiden" does not sound the exact same as"The Number Of The Beast" which is quite a step away from "Fear Of The Dark" which is vastly different from "Virtual XI" which sounds nothing like anything they've done since the return of Bruce. Maiden has evolved and changed over time, each album has something a little different on it, very much UNlike AC/DC. And though everyone is entitled to their own opinion, yours is kinda wack me thinks.

Peace fool!!!!!!

(This post was last edited on April 8, 2010 at 9:04 PM ET.)

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum