"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Maiden, Priest or Sabbath

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> Maiden, Priest or Sabbath

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 129 1 2 3 ... 5 6 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 129 1 2 3 ... 5 6 Last
Mar 3, 2010 1:13 AM ET #1 (permalink)

Seems like a pretty good topic for the classic metal forum. My personal favorite is Maiden, can't really choose between Sabbath or Priest for second. Classic bands though, gotta love 'em.

Mar 3, 2010 2:15 AM ET #2 (permalink)

Too hard! Although if I had to pick one album for the winner it'd be "Painkiller".

Mar 3, 2010 2:36 AM ET #3 (permalink)

Sabbath or Maiden, depending on my mood. I like Priest and all, but those two absolutely rape.

Mar 3, 2010 2:36 AM ET #4 (permalink)

All great bands, but ''Painkiller'' for the win. That album is flawless.

Mar 3, 2010 2:54 AM ET #5 (permalink)

I know it may seem like an odd choice but "Brave New World" is probably my favorite Iron Maiden album. As for Judas Priest I always listen to their "Priest... Live!" album when I want to hear them.

Mar 3, 2010 2:56 AM ET #6 (permalink)

The only Priest I've ever listened to is the latest album, Nostradamus. So maybe you fellas can learn me a thing or two about classic metal and give me some suggestions. "Painkiller" is it?

Mar 3, 2010 3:08 AM ET #7 (permalink)

Painkiller is definitely a fuckin' sick album, I would also recommend Screaming For Vengeance, Defenders Of The Faith, or Hell Bent For Leather. British Steel is good album too. My favorite Maiden album would probably be Powerslave, or Killers, I am a Paul Di'anno fan but all the Dickinson albums are great too.

Mar 3, 2010 4:43 AM ET #8 (permalink)

THEEE HEEEELLLLL PAAAATRRAAOOOLLL!!!.... erm, yeah I meant "Painkiller" is a great album. Spaghetti_Motel nailed it though.

Mar 3, 2010 6:24 AM ET #9 (permalink)

must say painkiller and unleashed in the east

but we are forgetting saxon strong arm of the law and wheels of steel

Mar 3, 2010 7:20 AM ET #10 (permalink)

Priest. They're the ultimate metal band in my opinion. Painkiller, Screaming For Vengeance, British Steel, Point Of Entry, Killing Machine (Hell Bent For Leather in the States), Sad Wings Of Destiny, so many classic albums! I love Sabbath and early Maiden but Priest is just perfect for me.

Top five albums from the three:

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Mar 3, 2010 10:34 AM ET #11 (permalink)

That's an easy one for me - Sabbath all the way. I love em and was never really into Maiden or a huge Priest fan. I did buy some mid-era Priest, but the high vocals for any band (esp power metal) are a turn off for me.

Mar 3, 2010 7:31 PM ET #12 (permalink)

Iron Maiden! what more could you want other than The Number of the Beast??? Hallowed be Thy Name is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Sabbath second, then Priest.

Mar 3, 2010 7:51 PM ET #13 (permalink)

Number of the Beast was pretty hit and miss for me, it definitely had some great songs, but it also had some pretty bad ones. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Piece of Mind, and Powerslave are my favorite 80's Maiden albums. Those three all have a very good flow to them. I'm actually listening to Somewhere in Time right now. I haven't listened to the album more than once or twice, so I'll see how this one stacks up against the others.

Mar 3, 2010 8:00 PM ET #14 (permalink)

Maiden and sabbath go down in history as greats, and so does priest i guess to a lesser extent, but i love priest the most out of the three. sabbath created both metal itself along with doom metal, and number of the beast is as classic as it gets when it comes to monumental metal albums, but judas priest makes albums every bit as awesome and classic as the other two bands do, and then prove they can thrash with the best of the young upstarts with songs like metal meltdown and painkiller. As far as im concerned, they win.

Mar 3, 2010 8:03 PM ET #15 (permalink)

Even when I was crazy about Maiden I never liked Somewhere In Time. Number Of The Beast was a good album I'd say, not a classic as alot of people like to claim though. As I said before, my favourite Maiden record is the first one because it's not self-indulgent like some of their other records sound (to a degree and just my opinion) and the songs vary really well. For example Prowler is a great, short and sweet staple of NWOBHM, whereas songs like Remember Tomorrow and Strange World show a really beautiful side to the band's music which would have been cool to have heard more of on future releases and Running Free reminds me of British Steel in the sense that it's distinctively a heavy metal song but with mainstream appeal. Just a fantastic record.

Mar 3, 2010 9:04 PM ET #16 (permalink)

FAN, I dunno if Priest really goes down in history as metal greats to a lesser extent (at least to true appreciators of metal), it may just be that they weren't as successful in their merchandising as Maiden, haha. I like Maiden a bit better because of personal preference, but I respect and recognize Priest as an equally important band in the formation of metal.

Edit: This thread has sent me on an evening-long spree of Maiden albums that I haven't listened to as much, and I agree Oz, the self-titled debut is completely solid.

(This post was last edited on March 3, 2010 at 9:13 PM ET.)

Mar 3, 2010 9:33 PM ET #17 (permalink)

Listened to Painkiller a few times through and while I can't deny the validity of Priest as a great metal band, like DB I just can't dig the high vocals.

Next?

Mar 3, 2010 10:35 PM ET #18 (permalink)

I think that high operatic vocals are as difficult to get into as a normal person getting into death metal vocals. It took time for me and takes time for most people. "Electric Eye" is a classic Priest song if I had to choose one though.

(This post was last edited on March 3, 2010 at 10:36 PM ET.)

Mar 3, 2010 11:03 PM ET #19 (permalink)

You're making us choose between them!? You cruel bastard! :(

Mar 4, 2010 12:23 AM ET #20 (permalink)

Halford doesn't just do the high falsetto stuff, He's got a great low growl too which I think is what I enjoy most about his style. Definitely a very diverse vocalist. Personally I love all Maiden albums, even the Blaze Bayley albums, but I can see what Oz is saying about their first record. A little more spontaneous than future albums and kinda has a bit of a thrashy vibe on songs like Phantom of the Opera, which Slayer actually covered in their early days. I like Killers better cuz it seems to build on where their first one left off, and has a fuller sound to it i think.

Mar 4, 2010 6:26 AM ET #21 (permalink)

Black Sabbath by default: at one point or another I've owned the first 5 albums (this is in the days of vinyl, children), and I've never owned anything by Judas Priest or Iron Maiden. Should I have admitted that? Damn, it's out there now ... just never grabbed me.

Mar 4, 2010 7:09 AM ET #22 (permalink)

priest will go in history
both guitarist are the reason why most guitarist picked up their ax

Mar 4, 2010 12:24 PM ET #23 (permalink)

Yeah, I don't think that either Blaze Bayley or Tim ''Ripper'' Owens - for Priest - deserve all the crap that they get. They're both great vocalists.

Mar 4, 2010 4:03 PM ET #24 (permalink)

Definitely. I've always felt bad for Owens in particular though 'cause right after Halford came back Owens joined Iced Earth and had to take shit from their fans for not being Matt Barlow. Then I saw Owens singing with Malmsteen in 2008 and got annoyed by how much Malmsteen was making sure everyone knew it was his band and he was the star. I also got annoyed at how many instrumentals they played, I was stood in the crowd going, "Motherfucker, you got Ripper Owens up there, one of the most impressive voices in metal and you're making him sit at the back of the bus (so to speak)." Blaze is also a great singer and did some awesome songs with Maiden.

Speaking of Maiden, any opinions on what Final Frontier will be like? I hope it's got Eddie as Captain Picard on the front.

Mar 4, 2010 5:34 PM ET #25 (permalink)

Never understood why Owens get's so much grief - "Cathedral Spires" from Jugulator is one of my favourite Priest songs. He made that Malmsteen album decent too.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum