"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Southern Rock, Country, American Folk, etc.

Posted in: Forum Home >> Non-Metal Music Discussion >> Southern Rock, Country, American Folk, etc.

Displaying 19 posts
Displaying 19 posts
Mar 1, 2010 8:29 PM ET #1 (permalink)

For those of you who know I'm a Texan, this thread may not come as a surprise to you. Any of you other lads and lasses out there enjoy southern rock, country music, and the like? I just love the atmosphere of it all, it can be a great soundtrack for drinking, sitting out on the porch just soaking everything in, windows-down drives, and all that good stuff. There's so many good ones- Cross Canadian Ragweed, Skynyrd, Pride & Glory, Maylene & the Sons of Disaster, Steve Earle, Kevin Fowler, Willie Nelson, all the Hank Williamses, Molly Hatchet, Johnny Cash, Pat Green, David Allen Coe, George Strait, Josh Turner... ohh buddy, I better stop now.

So who else? Let's discuss and share artists with that good ol' southern charm.

(This post was last edited on March 1, 2010 at 8:33 PM ET.)

Mar 1, 2010 9:21 PM ET #2 (permalink)

I'll be honest with you, when I lived in the good ol' South and even for a while after I moved up here, I loved me some country twang. Allison Krauss, Montgomery Gentry, Toby Keith, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Gary Allen...it just fit my environment back then.

Now I just plain and simple hate the stuff. Not to discount it or say country music "sucks", it is just not my cup of sweet tea anymore. Still, I wouldn't kick Josh Turner out of bed for eating cookies, if you know what I mean. Just sayin.

Mar 1, 2010 9:50 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Aww... that's too bad. But yeah, the general consensus seems to be that Josh Turner's voice induces female orgasms, and I've got to say, I can see why, haha.

Even if you don't like full-blown country anymore, are you still open to the harder end of the southern spectrum, such as Maylene & the Sons of Disaster and Brand New Sin?

Mar 1, 2010 11:22 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Ooh. It's a definite possibility with Maylene & Sons. I do like to shoot guns from time to time, and something tells me this would be perfect for when we're redneckin' it.

It's not even your fault. You live in Texas. Poor kid never had a chance.

Mar 2, 2010 4:26 AM ET #5 (permalink)

I dig Southern rock like Skynyrd and Molly Hatchet, etc. but I've never been into country, sorry.

Mar 2, 2010 6:29 AM ET #6 (permalink)

I guess I'm the opposite direction from most - gimme country music from before the mid-90's, and I'm good. :sigh: I'm definitely not anti-mainstream, but when country started going more urban, gaining an edgier sound, I lost interest, and a lot of respect, for the genre. Also, some of the "dumb redneck and proud" crowd drives me nuts - Toby Keith could fall off the face of the planet, and very little would make me happier, musically. If he took Kid Rock and Big & Rich with him, I'd need someone to punch me in the face, to make sure I wasn't dreaming!

IIRC, the "urban and edgy" trend sort of started later in the career of one of the flag-bearers of country - Garth Brooks - and it's been downhill ever since.

Southern Rock is growing on me, mainly as a result of playing some of it in my cover band. I doubt I'll ever be a huge fan, but it's getting better.

Mar 2, 2010 1:26 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Yeah, Kid Rock is a joke and Toby Keith can eat a bag of dicks. I can't stand his music and the dude's a straight-up neanderthal. I can like some of what you describe as "urban", but I generally prefer Texas country, older outlaw stuff and Oklahoma Red Dirt music.

Mar 2, 2010 5:13 PM ET #8 (permalink)

I may have to wander through some of my older country stuff.

Also, I HATE HATE HATE those stupid "Busted out the dude's headlight 'cause he cheated on me" songs, and all that crap, too.

Mar 3, 2010 3:14 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Dont like souther rock at all really. I worked construction in VA if that tells you anything...

Old counrty music and bluegrass on the other hand I like. some of my favs.
Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Wallon Jennings, Ralph Stanley, The Carter Family (old stuff), Doc Watson

I'm also a huge fan of folk music of any kind. Mainly I listen to traitional English/Welsh/Scot folk music but I do like Appalachian Music from the US. Fair few Folk artist from Canada as well.

Mar 3, 2010 4:43 PM ET #10 (permalink)

Yeah, Waylon and Merle are both pretty good, I've got some old vinyl records of them that are really enjoyable. I'll have to check out Ralph Stanley and Doc Watson, my library could use some good bluegrass.

Mar 3, 2010 7:27 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Doc Watson is more of a folk musician, but still very good.

In my most humble of opinions Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys are the best of the Bluegrass artist. I suppose that might be since they've been around as long as the genera has existed.

One CD I cant recommend enough is the soundtrack to "O Brother Wear Art Thou?". It has some fantastic bluegrass/country music on it from a variety of good musicians.

Mar 3, 2010 8:46 PM ET #12 (permalink)

Haha, I actually already have that one, and yes, it is pretty sweet.

Mar 3, 2010 9:11 PM ET #13 (permalink)

For pop/bluegrass, I've been listening to Nickel Creek a bit. Also, there are quite a few bluegrass covers of modern rock songs - I found a CD in the pawn shop called "The Pickin' On Series" and it was all bluegrass covers of Linkin Park...

And the covers were better than the originals!

Mar 3, 2010 9:12 PM ET #14 (permalink)

i like country at sporadic times throughout the year, but im drawing a blank on names. except jamey johnson. and like the punk* thread, there are the staples

(This post was last edited on March 3, 2010 at 9:13 PM ET.)

Mar 8, 2010 4:04 AM ET #15 (permalink)

Check out Joe Buck. He's awesome! Look forward to seein him this Wednesday. My kinda country.

Apr 17, 2010 10:43 PM ET #16 (permalink)

Nat - How can you mention bands like Skynyrd and Molly Hatchet without throwing Blackfoot in there..?
Damn, they are one of my favorites of the "Southern Rock" bands.!
Another couple of bands that could be included in the same category is Head East and Black Oak Arkansas... or even
Bob Seger for that matter.!
Damn, Ive smoked a lot of herb over the years listening to that stuff :)-~ ~

If your interested in the country/bluegrass sound... check out Bone Pony.. an album named Stomp Revival
That is one that gets regular play time on a weekly basis for me... and it was released in the mid 90s :)

Neurotictim mentioned the "Pickin On" series... there are actually quite a few of those floating around.. I have the
Aerosmith, AC/DC and Zeppelin discs in my collection... All of them are quite good for something a little different.!

Apr 18, 2010 7:00 PM ET #17 (permalink)

have to say do like johny cash
but for the rest that country stuff sorry dudes and girls its sickening music
some dudes who sing there wife left them and the dog just died
i know its a part of the american culture
sorry not for me

but do like bob seger and steve miiler

np sick bubblegum

Apr 19, 2010 1:26 AM ET #18 (permalink)

George Strait is the king. End of story.

Southern rock hits me right from time to time. One of my all time favorite songs is the Allman Brothers= Soulshine.

"Just let your soul shine, better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain." Simply awesome.

Apr 19, 2010 5:09 AM ET #19 (permalink)

funny last night were the country awards on tv
but still not for me

Reply to Discussion or Return to Non-Metal Music Discussion forum