"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Tips for Screaming / Favorite vocalists

Posted in: Forum Home >> Extreme Metal >> Tips for Screaming / Favorite vocalists

Displaying 11 posts
Displaying 11 posts
Feb 25, 2010 9:48 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I've been growling and screaming for almost two years, and I take influence from Lamb of God, Dimmu Borgir, Mnemic, Meshuggah, Between the Buried and Me and many more.

Any tips / exercises that help to tone your high screams would be appreciated.

Also, what is everyone's favorite screaming vocalist / vocal style?

For me it's probably Randy Blythe of L.O.G.

Feb 26, 2010 12:18 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Eat a giant bowl of Brutal-Os cereal for breakfast every morning, with beer instead of milk. That's all you need to know.

Feb 26, 2010 12:56 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Sing nursery rhymes. No seriously, it helps.

Feb 26, 2010 1:35 PM ET #4 (permalink)

george corsgrinder fisher,he has an ausome low voice

Feb 26, 2010 10:44 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Theres a couple of vox that i like a lot:

Mikael from Opeth for sure is one. Peter T. from Hypocrisy. Devin T., his SYL stuff for the screams and last but certainly not least MORTUUS/ARIOCH from Marduk and Funeral Mist is my all time favorite BM vocalist.

id say practice makes perfect. i just put on a BM record (that i know the words to) and scream along to it. over and over and over...your throat hurts but then it heals and it gets stronger. sounds like masochism but it works.

hails.

Feb 27, 2010 1:06 AM ET #6 (permalink)

Ok for better vocals here is what you do. Bake up a BIG batch of PWN cakes,Pour some wooties on top,Smother it in rape sauce,And for some extra flavor,dump some Brutallico flakes on top.

Feb 28, 2010 8:17 PM ET #7 (permalink)

If you want to go deeper smoke pot every day. It builds up a mucus membrane that lets you growl longer and a lot deeper.

Feb 28, 2010 8:51 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Favorite vocalists, hmmmm............ I've always liked Evil D, Corpsegrinder, Frank Mullen, Chuck Shuldiner, Mille Petrozza............... uhhhh Wojciech Wasowicz, fuk yeah.

Feb 28, 2010 8:55 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Don't give a toss about screaming but I'll chime in on the favourite vocalist thing.

Rob Halford, John Bush, Lou Koller, H.R., John Garcia, Paul Di'anno, Lee Dorrian, Tom Fischer, Chuck Billy, Dave Vanian and Phil Lynnott amongst others.

(This post was last edited on February 28, 2010 at 9:42 PM ET.)

Feb 28, 2010 8:59 PM ET #10 (permalink)

As far as growl/scream/gurgle vocalists, it's Lord Worm.

Feb 28, 2010 9:15 PM ET #11 (permalink)

I was just naming death metal vocalists as this is an extreme metal thread. Lord Worm is pretty good at belching and gurgling. But other than that my favorites are Henry Rollins, Collin Abrahall, Paul Di'anno, Phil Anselmo, Tom Araya, Lars Frederiksen, Joe Strummer and Lou Koller.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Extreme Metal forum