"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Top 5 Hardcore Punk records?

Posted in: Forum Home >> Core >> Top 5 Hardcore Punk records?

Displaying 15 posts
Displaying 15 posts
Feb 24, 2010 9:43 AM ET #1 (permalink)

And ACTUAL hardcore. No shitty melodeath aping metalcore or toughguy deathcore.

You can read mine here.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/MegaHassan/my_favorite_hardcore_punk_albums

And don't just namedrop, substantiate your selections!

Feb 24, 2010 2:23 PM ET #2 (permalink)

My top 5

1: Black Flag - The First Four Years (yeah it's a compilation, so what)
This one was a tough decision, hard to pick a favorite Black Flag album. It was either this or Damaged, but anyways Black Flag were in my opinion the very first hardcore punk band and remain to this day the very best. I think the songs of the bands "First Four Years" explain why, just listen to it. Simply classic.

2: GBH - City Baby Attacked By Rats
God damn I love GBH, this album pretty much sets the bar for basically everything I love in Hardcore Punk. Loud, fast, aggressive, obscene, and just downright brilliant. If punk was a four letter word.....

3: Bad Brains - Rock For Light
This was another close call between this album and the band's self-titled LP. Bad Brains are just another classic hardcore punk band, one of the true pioneers of the genre. The thing I always loved most about this band was how they could actually play their instruments and write some pretty technically challenging riffs, phenomenal band, one of the best ever.

4: Sick Of It All - Call To Arms
Pretty tough just to choose just one Sick Of It all record, literally everything they've done is awesome. This band has so many great albums, Scratch the Surface, Just Look Around, Yours Truly, but this one stands in my mind as their quintessential offering. This album seems to accumulate everything the band had done so far in their career as the album itself is quite diverse. This is just my opinion mind you but this album is one of my favorites from the band, title track is just epic.

5: Circle Jerks - Group Sex
Ahh yeah the mutha funkin Circle Jerks, probably one of the most overlooked hardcore punk bands of their time but also one of the most influential and certainly one of the best. As part of that early LA scene they helped define what hardcore was in it's early stages, just another classic band. Two of the song on here may have been stolen from Black Flag, Wasted and I don't Care, but it's all good.

....and the rest as follows, got sick of typing.

6: Agnostic Front - Victim In Pain
7: Misfits - Earth A.D.
8: Minor Threat - Complete Discography
9: The Casualties - Die Hards
10: Discharge - Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing

(This post was last edited on February 25, 2010 at 5:12 PM ET.)

Feb 24, 2010 2:36 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Oh man that's hard. So hard to choose my favourite Sick Of It All album, let alone hardcore album. But if I think about it, top five (in no order) would be:

* Bad Brains - Bad Brains
Where do you start with Bad Brains? Well, the beginning would be good. This album is awesome, pure and simple. Interspersing some of the most furious hardcore songs ever with some beautiful reggae was pretty groundbreaking for it's time and works so well. Favourite tracks: Banned In DC, Attitude and Sailin' On.
* Black Flag - Damaged
To me, this is the best thing Black Flag ever did, without taking anything away from their other releases. It has several songs that are hardcore classics, not just Black Flag classics. Extremely raw sound and sloppy at times, but that's what makes it so good.
* Madball - Demonstrating My Style
I got Hold It Down yesterday and haven't listened to it so I may change my mind but this one is awesome. As much as I like Look My Way, this has more memorable songs I think. Great sound and better songs.
* Sick Of It All - Blood, Sweat And No Tears or Just Look Around, I love all their albums but those two are probably my favourites because they're the bands most aggressive work until Life On The Ropes or Death To Tyrants maybe. Favourite tracks: BSNT: B.S. Justice, Rat Pack, Injustice System. JLA: We Want The Truth, Shut Me Out, Just Look Around
* Suicidal Tendencies - Join The Army
You can argue about how hardcore this album is but ST were as hardcore as they were thrash, if not more. This album has a cool sound to it and the songs are great fun. Favourite tracks: Join The Army, War Inside My Head

(This post was last edited on February 26, 2010 at 7:04 AM ET.)

Feb 24, 2010 4:53 PM ET #4 (permalink)

1) Dead Kennedys- Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables

2) Subhumans- The Day the Country Died

3) Misfits- Collection 1

4) TSOL- Dance With Me

5) Adolescents- Blue Album

6) Litmus Green- Circle that A

7) Circle Jerks- WIld in the Streets

8) Pennywise- About Time

9) FEAR- Have Another Beer WIth Fear

10) UK Subs- Singles 77-82

Feb 24, 2010 11:05 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Nice! Now I can use this thread as a source of finding good hardcore punk bands.

I recently obtained a copy of "The Age of Quarrel" by Cro-Mags. Should be a good start...

Feb 25, 2010 5:29 AM ET #6 (permalink)

Would be nice if you guys could at least give a sentence or two about the album you've chosen, lol :P

@Unholy_Thrasher: DUUUDE! You're in for a hell of a good time then! Fucking awesome album. Since there's 'thrasher' in your name I suggest you peep Gang Green's Another Wasted Night, Agnostic Front's Liberty and Justice and Broken Bones' FOAD. All those are pretty thrashy hardcore punk (crossover, if you will! but its more hardcore than thrash)

Feb 26, 2010 12:09 AM ET #7 (permalink)

Nekro - I love crossover thrash! Even if it has more of a hardcore edge. I'm familiar with Agnostic Front, great band right there man! I'll check out the other two soon. Thanks!...

For all of you Suicidal fans out there, check out Excel (California) and Acrophet (Wisconsin).

Feb 26, 2010 12:24 AM ET #8 (permalink)

I'll check out Excel fo' sure. Suicidal is one of my favorite bands!

Feb 26, 2010 7:05 AM ET #9 (permalink)

I've been trying to get a copy of Age Of Quarrel for ages but the only copies I can find are mad expensive. Sucks man.

Feb 26, 2010 8:44 AM ET #10 (permalink)

Totally. Someone should re-issue that monster of an album.

Feb 26, 2010 6:44 PM ET #11 (permalink)

I downloaded Age Of Quarrel. Good album indeed.

(This post was last edited on February 28, 2010 at 6:11 PM ET.)

Feb 28, 2010 5:32 PM ET #12 (permalink)

i only know a few punk bands, so for what its worth here are my few =P

Fuck World Trade - Leftover Crack
No Gods, No Managers - Choking Victim
and any Degenerates album

Mar 4, 2010 12:33 AM ET #13 (permalink)

GG Allin is god of hardcore punk listen then decide

Mar 4, 2010 1:24 AM ET #14 (permalink)

^ You can hardly call GG Allin hardcore punk, musically it is definitely not hardcore punk. Fuck it's barely punk rock at all, that shit's something of its own, like hella-fucked up. GG's pretty rad though, aside from shitin' on himself onstage and what not. Got some good tunes, BITE IT YOU SCUM!!!!!!!

(This post was last edited on March 5, 2010 at 12:46 AM ET.)

Mar 4, 2010 6:55 PM ET #15 (permalink)

DIE WHEN YOU DIE WHEN YOU DIE YOU'RE GONNA DIE!

Fucking love GG.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Core forum