"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

So, I was reading Metal Hammer mag...

Posted in: Forum Home >> Extreme Metal >> So, I was reading Metal Hammer mag...

Displaying 11 posts
Displaying 11 posts
Feb 22, 2010 6:25 PM ET #1 (permalink)

...there is an article in there about Amon Amarth. It has a section that goes from album to album of theirs and it had tags on them saying: recommended, must have, wild card and so on. When they came across "The Fate of Norns" album, they tagged it as 'Avoid'. I personally like that album, I dont think there is a bad song on it and a lot of the riffs are pretty damn memorable. Am I out of sorts about this and Metal Hammer is right or is the album just good and Metal Hammer sucks? Whats the opinion of the metal masses here?

(Note: this is the second, and last time, Ive ever bought this magazine.)

Thanks ladies and gentlemen.

(This post was last edited on February 22, 2010 at 6:26 PM ET.)

Feb 22, 2010 6:43 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Psh, Metal Hammer can fuck right off, The Fate of Norns is just as menacing as their other albums and is one of my favorites. I don't know, the songs seem to have more depth somehow and the lyrics really stood out to me. Like in the title track - "No man should have to bury his child/Yet this has been my share/The tears I shed run bitter and wild/It's a heavy burden to bear."

PS Stop distracting me on here, I have an entire novel to re-type!

(This post was last edited on February 22, 2010 at 6:44 PM ET.)

Feb 22, 2010 7:10 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Hell yea. I definantly agree with ya. That song is pretty emotionaly heavy, its a good one. Id have to say that the song "The Pursuit of Vikings" is an f'n killer! That riff is damn good and the lyrics are great.

I second that notion: fuck metal hammer. Ill stick with Terrorizer and Decibal.

(This post was last edited on February 22, 2010 at 7:59 PM ET.)

Feb 23, 2010 4:32 AM ET #4 (permalink)

Unfortunatly for metal hammer.. they chose to do and album by album break down of a band with no bad albums, not even a weak album.. so they had to put something in there.. i was stunned when i saw it, Fate of Norns is an awesome album and better, i think, than their last

Feb 23, 2010 12:29 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Personally, "Fate of Norns" was always my favorite by Amon Amarth. Don't get me wrong, "Twilight of the Thunder God" has had plenty of play time in my stereo, but I always keep coming back to "Fate of Norns."

Feb 23, 2010 5:57 PM ET #6 (permalink)

Straight up man you should never read anything in Metal Hammer, that magazine is ridiculous. The only metal/music mag worse than that one is Revolver. I used to buy them just to rip out pictures and posters and shit just to tag up on my bedroom wall. But yeah Fate Of Norns is a great album, couldn't agree more with the rest of you. Personally I think it's a lot better than The Crusher or The Avenger, good albums don't get me wrong but Norns is one of their best. Twilight is my favorite by far.

Feb 23, 2010 9:13 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Hey. Thanks for your imput ladies and gents. I agree with all of you. And Im not out of wack which is always good to know.

Feb 24, 2010 6:08 AM ET #8 (permalink)

read only aardschok
a good magazine and theey are around for 30 years
metak hammer used to be a good magazine
but this gotz dude
think he hit the crack pipe one to many
now his magazine sucks
but not all articals

Mar 6, 2010 6:33 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Metal Hammer? More like Fake Metal Hammer(I know that's incredibley lame I didn't think of it). They only have the super-mainstream and mallcore. The only black metal I belive they contain is Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth, and they have a LOT of nu metal and metalcore, so who cares what they think of true metal like Amon Amarth. What annoys me is that some people think that Amon Amarth is a Viking Metal band. Sigtyr, TYR, Enslaved, and Folkearth are Viking Metal, Amon Amarth are melodic death metal.

Mar 6, 2010 8:34 PM ET #10 (permalink)

MF you continue to astound me with all the knowledge in that 14-year-old noggin of yours, I think you could learn some people on here a few things. I try not to care about specifics but I agree with you, AA is a viking-themed melodic death metal band, not a viking metal band.

Mar 6, 2010 9:42 PM ET #11 (permalink)

LDB- Thank you, you seem to know a lot yourself. xD sorry about caring so much about specifics I thought that was just a fan mistake calling AA a viking band until I saw on an MU news article that it called them a viking band that just made me mad xD.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Extreme Metal forum