"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Who's down with Punk Rock

Posted in: Forum Home >> Non-Metal Music Discussion >> Who's down with Punk Rock

Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 52 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 52 1 2 3 Last
Mar 3, 2010 8:08 PM ET #26 (permalink)

[insert unquestionable classics], NoFX, Anti-Flag, The Unseen, Dropkick Murphys, Against All Authority, Goldfinger, Authority Zero, the Suicide Machines, the Vandals...I'll stop.

Mar 8, 2010 4:10 AM ET #27 (permalink)

Been diggin Antiseen for a while. Check em out.

Mar 10, 2010 9:03 AM ET #28 (permalink)

REAL punk rock- yes. What pathetically passes for it nowadays- F*CK no

Mar 10, 2010 12:19 PM ET #29 (permalink)

Crushem - How would you categorize Snot?

Mar 12, 2010 4:34 AM ET #30 (permalink)

D.I. and Adolescents, that's all I got to say about that.

Mar 12, 2010 4:47 PM ET #31 (permalink)

@DeathInEye - right on

love all that shit, I'll add two favorite people may have missed: Guttermouth, Bickley

I used to rock tons of "serious" punk like anti-flag, but I the last few years I always end up sticking to the fun shit like vandals, suicide machines, guttermouth, etc

I grew up listening to tons of DC/East Coast punk, then hit metal and hardcore. Now I pretty much only go to metal shows, and break out the ska for hangovers, and punk for some levity.

Oh, and if you get hammered at a metal show with me, you're damn well guaranteed to be singing bro hymn by pennywise otw home :)

(This post was last edited on March 12, 2010 at 4:49 PM ET.)

Mar 12, 2010 7:43 PM ET #32 (permalink)

The basics like Rancid, Misfits, Bad Religion ect
Burnt Cross
Butthole Surfers
D.R.I.
The Casualties
Mob 47
subhumans
Lawnmower Deth
Spazztic Blurr

Mar 23, 2010 2:22 PM ET #33 (permalink)

im always down for some good classic punk.
but no one here has mentioned Nomeansno which i feel everyone should check out. a progressive punk band from canada who've been around since 1980, they feature some great complex instrumentation, a melodic and jazz influence with a sense of humour and some great lyrics.
and theres also their side project The Hanson Brothers which it a heavily ramones influence parody band based on the characters from the classic hockey movie Slap Shot who sing of course aboot hockey and beer as all good canadians should

Mar 24, 2010 1:21 AM ET #34 (permalink)

Hammerhead: Condidering your band list, check out Stiff Little Fingers, excellent politically charged punk out of Ireland (especially Inflammable Material).

For all you other guys: The Birthday Party, one of the greatest punk bands that ever walked the planet; utterly groundbreaking.

Others I'd recommend (some may or may not fit your definition of punk, but they're close enough and well worthy of your attention): Babes In Toyland; Big Black (espcially Songs About Fucking); The Gordons (NZ; later morphed into Bailter Space); Frenzal Rhomb (Aust); Killing Joke; The Meanies (Aust); The Ruts (esp The Crack); S.P.U.D. (NZ); Silverfish; Toe To Toe (Aust); and Unsane.

Jun 19, 2010 2:43 PM ET #35 (permalink)

Is this a forum that would consider Disrupt punk?

Jun 20, 2010 10:44 PM ET #36 (permalink)

Disrupt? I dunno, I guess you could say their punk rock but not really. Their style is what you'd call "crust punk" which is considered to be one of the punk rock sub-genres but the style itself is really a fusion of metal and punk. Some bands playing this style lean more towards hardcore punk (Aus-Rotten, Leftover Crack) while other bands have a more prominent metallic sound such as Caustic Christ, vocal styles have a lot to do with this as well and from what I've heard of Disrupt they definitely incorporate more metal influences into their music like grindcore.

Jun 20, 2010 11:43 PM ET #37 (permalink)

i like how even though punk and metal have traveled two completely different paths, they ended up spawning the same level of batshit extreme music. Cannibal corpse/napalm death. Pig destroyer/brain drill. Antigama/gojira. Punk wins slightly on th extremeo meter though. Give me a band from metal that is as instantly distasteful to the average music listener as anal cunt, and i will let you watch me jackoff on chatroulette webcam. Either way i win.

Jun 21, 2010 12:25 AM ET #38 (permalink)

So long and thanks for all the shoes!

I love NoFx.
Funny as hell.

The serious music they do is rad tho too.

Sep 23, 2010 12:24 AM ET #39 (permalink)

RTB

Ramones and the clash...some rancid and minor threat. .
..that is all

Mar 9, 2011 4:33 AM ET #40 (permalink)

Im down with punk, all types are good at times

Mar 9, 2011 6:48 AM ET #41 (permalink)

Does Rise Against count?

Mar 10, 2011 2:16 AM ET #42 (permalink)

^Shit no!

Mar 10, 2011 5:10 AM ET #43 (permalink)

Then no.

Apr 17, 2011 1:00 PM ET #44 (permalink)

Cozen- don't know man, I've honestly never listened to Snot. I'll check 'em out though.

Apr 17, 2011 7:50 PM ET #45 (permalink)

^from the bit Ive heard of Snot, I would put them with bands like Corrosion of conformity and Stormtroopers of Death, kindof a heavy crossover-type band from that era when that shit was new. Not saying I'm actually sure, cause I'm not, it's just a speculation from the few songs I have heard. I heard some of their new stuff more recently, they just got the first singer from Divine Heresy to front them, and what I heard was pretty good, he actually seems to fit them better than he did Divine Heresy. One of those bands I need to get around to seriously checking out, both old and new stuff. :P

Apr 18, 2011 10:31 AM ET #46 (permalink)

MDC recently played here with the Subhumans, now I consider them to be the best punk band ever, they seem like they have always stayed true to the punk philosophy, my favorites are: Choking Victim, Despise You, This Bike is a Pipe Bomb, 4skins, Gorilla Bisquits and others already mentioned

Apr 18, 2011 10:41 AM ET #47 (permalink)

just starting to get into punk- the cramps, dead kennedys, etc. who else should I check out?

Apr 18, 2011 12:13 PM ET #48 (permalink)

I just bought my ticket to see Discharge on friday. Can't wait. If you're getting into stuff like Dead Kennedys, then check out some of the British stuff from the same time like Discharge, The Exploited, GBH, The Varukers etc. Have a look at Sham 69, Cockney Rejects, Chaos UK, Anti-Nowhere League, English Dogs, Broken Bones too.

Apr 18, 2011 8:56 PM ET #49 (permalink)

R10

Thought I'd jump into this punk discussion. Oz;have you heard of classic street punkers The Business? Not sure if there still around but I saw them open for the Dropkicks @ Agnostic Front 10 years ago and thought they were pretty damn good. They even did a split 7 and ep with the Dropkick Murphys. I tend to like the grittier street punk myself.

Apr 18, 2011 9:07 PM ET #50 (permalink)

Yeah mate The Business are great fun. Problem was though I was singing their song, "England 5 Germany 1" last year before the countries played each other in the World Cup, and it didn't go quite as I hoped.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Non-Metal Music Discussion forum