"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Who's down with Punk Rock

Posted in: Forum Home >> Non-Metal Music Discussion >> Who's down with Punk Rock

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 52 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 52 1 2 3 Last
Feb 21, 2010 11:35 PM ET #1 (permalink)

Anybody here? I love punk almost as much as I love metal.

Feb 22, 2010 3:11 AM ET #2 (permalink)

Like...REAL punk, or Sum41?

Feb 22, 2010 9:27 AM ET #3 (permalink)

I am. Discharge, GBH, The Exploited, Dead Kennedys, The Damned, s'all good brah.

Feb 22, 2010 1:19 PM ET #4 (permalink)

yah yah. punks cool. whats your fav punk band or bands?

Feb 22, 2010 2:25 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Punk is pretty neat. But sadly, unlike basically everything else in my library, what I listen to hasn't expanded much since junior high, which was five years ago. The Clash, Social Distortion, Rise Against, Rancid, Bad Brains range from pretty good to great in my book. If you want to include post-hardcore, since it would fall under the punk umbrella, I also love Refused, Thrice, At the Drive-In, Glassjaw, Secret & Whisper, Chiodos, and Story of the Year (the Def Leppard of the sub-genre).

(This post was last edited on February 22, 2010 at 2:26 PM ET.)

Feb 22, 2010 4:11 PM ET #6 (permalink)

No not Sum 41, that is not punk rock. Those are some good bands you mentioned Oz, I like GBH and the Exploited the best. Other than that my fav's are NoFX, Black Flag, DOA, the Circle Jerks, Rancid, the Casualties, Swingin' Utters, US Bombs, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, The Clash, Lower Class Brats, and the almighty Bad Brains although I would call them hardcore rather than punk or hardcore punk I guess. What's post-hardcore, not really familiar with that term.

Feb 22, 2010 4:30 PM ET #7 (permalink)

^it's starts at Atreyu and only gets worse form there. :P

truthfully though, glassjaw and Chiodos arent that bad, they're just kinda...y'know...gay. I just found out my stepsister in missouri listens to them, but then I found out she also listens to Slayer, so I didnt yell at her. lol

My excursion into punk runs from Dillinger Escape Plan to Converge, but technically it's more along the lines of bands with punk roots, rather than purely punk bands, that spark my interests. Only converge can really be passed off as pure punk from time to time with individual songs. More of a grindcore person really. :P

HOWEVER, I'm looking into Stormtroopers of Death(borrowed from a friend), Corrosion of Conformity, and a few Every Time I Die songs have caught my ear, so I guess I'll be a little bit more versed in the genre in a little while.

Feb 22, 2010 4:31 PM ET #8 (permalink)

I credit punk rock with rescuing me from my prog rock (Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd)/prog jazz (Soft Machine, Caravan) phase - altho I still occasionally find the time and inclination to revisit the past - so I have a lot of time for it.

The punk-type bands I listen to now are a lot harder than the old-school punks I grew up with, like the Sex Pistols and the Ramones, and maybe are closer to metal: Unsane, Helmet, Big Black, Toe To Toe (Australia), S.P.U.D. (NZ).

Feb 22, 2010 4:47 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Post-Hardcore is a genre that is moderately to heavily influenced by hardcore, but incorporates other elements to their music that make it no longer pure hardcore. If you want a basic idea of it, watch these.

Refused. They are the closest to actual hardcore of the bands I listed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8MkVIe9xGc

Story of the Year. They're the most mainstream of the bands I listed. You probably heard the cheese-fest of a radio song "Until the Day I Die" around 2004, but if you listen to their following three albums, you'll notice that they aren't quite the same band, haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxhtStyjdNA

Glassjaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVEepmETMbs

Chiodos. Try not to let their image put you off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3blK9KpDmw

(This post was last edited on February 22, 2010 at 4:49 PM ET.)

Feb 22, 2010 4:49 PM ET #10 (permalink)

Fuck_A_Name: Personally I wouldn't consider Dillinger or Converge to be punk rock, but I can see where your coming from though. From what I've heard of Converge they definitely have a punk influence but I've always seen them as more of a hardcore band. But that shit gets kinda confusing to me, like the difference between punk, hardcore punk and hardcore. But Stormtroopers Of Death are fuckin' sick, love that band but again, they're more thrash than punk but do have a hardcore punk infused style of thrash, very good. Ya ever listen to Nuclear Assault?

Feb 22, 2010 4:58 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Natsquatch: Went and checked out Refused and Glassjaw, pretty cool I gotta say. I can definitely see why they call it post-hardcore, would Gallows or Cancer Bats fit into that genre as well? those two bands kinda reminded me of them.

Feb 22, 2010 5:18 PM ET #12 (permalink)

THE NEW BEAT! THE NEW BEAT! Yeah, Refused is especially great, glad I could bring something good to the table.

From what I've heard of them, I wouldn't call Cancer Bats post-hardcore, and probably not Gallows, though some of the songs from the latter can sometimes blur lines. I'm gonna agree with you on one your previous posts, when hardcore is brought in to the equation things can definitely get tricky as far as genre definition goes.

Feb 22, 2010 5:54 PM ET #13 (permalink)

Spaghetti no shit Sum41 isn't punk rock, just trying to get a feel for what you meant.

Feb 22, 2010 6:48 PM ET #14 (permalink)

Ok, I was going to make a thread for this but I may as well put it here - Is anyone else a Misfits fan?? I think they're brilliant (fan of both Danzig and Graves eras).

Feb 22, 2010 7:34 PM ET #15 (permalink)

Cynic, thanks for fuckin asking this, I'm a die hard Misfits fan. I can't believe I didn't mention them in my earlier post. Personally I'm a danzig era fan, the stuff they did back then is so classic. Some of my favorites would have to be 20 eyes, We Bite, Spook city USA, I turned into a martian, earth AD, death comes ripping, She, Angelfuck, so many great songs from that era of the band. I actually saw them on new years eve in 07 and they had Dez Cadena from Black Flag on guitar which was just epic, and played Six Pack. But yeah, love the Misfits.

Feb 22, 2010 7:41 PM ET #16 (permalink)

Nice. Wearing my Black Flag shirt today as it happens. Never been a fan of Misfits though.

Feb 22, 2010 8:12 PM ET #17 (permalink)

A cousin of mine is a huge fan of punk rock. He recently got me into street punk with bands like Clit 45, A Global Threat, Antidote, The Virus, Chaotic Alliance, Total Chaos, Cheap Sex, and a load of other bands. Pretty good stuff man...

Feb 22, 2010 8:19 PM ET #18 (permalink)

^Great list of bands dude, if you like the street punk stuff you should check out Lower Class Brats or Swingin' Utters. For a little more hardcore edge like the Virus you've got to check out Aus-Rotten, those guys tear it up hard. Conflict is another good old british band, very raw and un-polished.

Feb 23, 2010 5:33 AM ET #19 (permalink)

never liked punk rock that much
exploited not a bad band
my sister is still a punk rocker
but only old school stuff

Feb 23, 2010 10:57 PM ET #20 (permalink)

I'm a big fan of the Misfits, The Exploited, Ramones, old Rancid, Sex Pistols, NOFX, The Clash, Pennywise, The Casualties, The Unseen, US Bombs, TSOL, Leftover Crack, and some of the corny-as-hell ''psychobilly'' bands like Nekromantix and Tiger Army.

Feb 24, 2010 12:23 AM ET #21 (permalink)

^Fuckin eh bro, finally another NoFX fan on here. Leftover Crack is awesome too same with Necromantix, don't see what's so corny about them though.

Feb 25, 2010 2:27 PM ET #22 (permalink)

Lyrically, they're pretty corny I guess.

I was looking through my CDs and realized I forgot a few bands:

Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys, The Damned, Agnostic Front, Lars Fredriksen and the Bastards, Black Flag, Virus, Anti-Flag..

Never got around to checking out Bad Brains or Circle Jerks, though, for some reason. What albums should I start with for them?

Edited for typos.

(This post was last edited on February 25, 2010 at 2:32 PM ET.)

Feb 25, 2010 4:13 PM ET #23 (permalink)

Fuckin eh bro, if you wanna get into the Bad Brains you gotta get either their self-titled LP or their next album Rock For Light. Rock for Light has a few songs off their self-titled which were re-recorded, both albums are very good though either one of them would be great. I would also recommend not purchasing their greatest hits comp, their earlier stuff is better in my opinion.

For the Circle Jerks - Group Sex. All time classic, absolutely cannot go wrong with that album. Judging from the bands you listed I'd say these guys are right up your alley. Their second album, Wild in The Streets, is very good as well (in case you didn't know, circle jerks vocalist keith morris was the original singer of Black flag).

Right on for mentioning Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards, those guys are hella rad, I actually like 'em better than rancid.

Feb 27, 2010 11:53 AM ET #24 (permalink)

I've never been big on punk... But I'm starting to get into Anti Flag and Sex Pistols

Feb 27, 2010 8:55 PM ET #25 (permalink)

Real punk, (great picks, Oz), yes. What pitifully carries the name nowadays, mostly, no.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Non-Metal Music Discussion forum