"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

My One-Man-Band project: Certain Death

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> My One-Man-Band project: Certain Death

Displaying 3 posts
Displaying 3 posts
Jun 21, 2014 7:43 PM ET #1 (permalink)

Hey everyone! I have no idea if people from the site frequent the forums or not, but I thought I would give this a shot anyway. You guys probably know me from my snarky and sarcastic comments over the years (believe it or not, I am actually a pretty nice guy, lol), and I thought this would be the best place for me to put this out there.

Over the past few years I've become enamored with recording my own music for nothing other than self-satisfaction. One-man-band projects like Dan Swano's "Moontower" and Devin Townsend's "Ziltoid" gave me confidence to try to at least "finish something I started". How many of us musicians write a riff or two but never complete a whole song? It's a lot harder than you might think.

Certain Death is a project I have been toying with over a couple years. Essentially it is a "concept band" that I use to write "extinction event" albums. I'm not really the best lyric writer, so I find it a lot easier to keep a common theme to help with the progression.

Musically, I've had the entire album recorded, burning a hole in my brain, for over a year but I've had such bad lyrical writer's block I've been unable to give it at least a half-way decent treatment. Finally I've been able to get "back to work", so to speak. There still needs to be a few tweaks but feel free have a listen to the first "finished" demo track:

http://certain-death.bandcamp.com/track/the-riveters

Feel free to have a go and let me know what you think. Everything is written and recorded by me on my measly M-Audio Fast Track Pro with an SM57 and a Line6 Spider III. (Bass recorded using a Line6 Studio 110). Drums are midi-programmed using Superior 2.0 with some additional tweaks including Metal Foundry drum sounds. DAW was Reaper (if you record amateur music and don't know about this, look it up NOW!).

/ The artwork and such is something a friend of mine put together a couple years ago for the early work I was doing with the "band". It was the first music I ever recorded and essentially was nothing more than what I was doing to teach myself the ropes. Feel free to peruse the origins as well...

(This post was last edited on June 21, 2014 at 7:45 PM ET.)

Jun 24, 2014 12:27 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Pretty sweet! I liked the transition around the 2:50 mark.

Jun 24, 2014 10:55 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Thanks! Transitions have always been a weak-spot in my writing, so for this album I tried to focus on them a little more. Some of the best ones I've come up with were actually mistakes that I just rolled with and spun into something new. Sometimes a botched take can be a nugget of gold! Haha.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum