"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Acid Bath

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> Acid Bath

Displaying 9 posts
Displaying 9 posts
Mar 19, 2014 9:49 AM ET #1 (permalink)

I have feeling nostalgic as of late. Especially for one of my all time favorite bands. I know we have a few fans in the house, but I want to know a little about your love for this group. If you have never heard them, you're missing out. So far ahead of their time. If you are curious about them, You Tube them, or look them up. I will accept your thanks and gratitude now. You're welcome.

Mar 19, 2014 12:36 PM ET #2 (permalink)

I first heard When the Kite String Pops while staying at a friends on a weekend away from college. It was October of 1997 and I was in kind of a cathartic mood at the time. From the first dissonant notes opening The Blue, I was intrigued. Then the pace picked up a bit and I started to give notice to the lyrics. The imagery was off kilter and entirely unique. Dax Riggs' vocal duality of screaming and singing accentuated the bi-polar nature of the lyrics. The way the songs flowed seemlessly from sludge to black metal to punk to goth to progressive death and back was truly ahead of the times. Audie's distorted bass added a dirty southern low end that added to the primal raw sound - especially on the slower parts. Even the softer songs were macabre. A ballad about abortion (Scream of the Butterfly)? Smoking bones of baby dolls? Who would have connected such dissimilar objects?

Standout tracks for me were Cheap Vodka, Finger Paintings of the Insane, Jezebel, God Machine and Cassie eats Cockroaches. However, there isn't a bad cut in the entire 69 minute length.

I didn't hear Pagan Terrorism Tactics until years later, and it didn't grab me the same way. This album seemed uneven and the songs were hit and miss. Highlights: Paegan Love Song, Bleed Me an Ocean, Diab Soule and 13 Fingers. Low points: Old Skin and the hidden track. It's not a bad album, but I think suffers from the "sophomore slump" effect of not living up to the same level as WTKSP. PTT honestly seemed more thrown together than painstakingly crafted like WTKSP.

I wonder how much longer they would have lasted if Audie didn't get killed and who knows how that affected Sammy's influence in Goatwhore or Dax's solo projects.

Mar 19, 2014 4:55 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Soooooo, you're saying you liked Kite String.

They wouldn't have lasted much longer. They were going in different musical directions. Sammy wanted faster, and Dax wanted slower. Hence the sound on Agents Of Oblivion...Dax's project immediately after. If you've never heard it, it's a great rocka-boogie record. Nothing like AB at all, but great in it's own right. Unfortunately, I haven't liked anything Dax has put out since Agents. Deadboy and the Elephantmen, and his solo stuff just doesn't do anything for me though.

Had the pleasure of seeing them twice.

Mar 19, 2014 5:39 PM ET #4 (permalink)

You lucky bastard. I didn't hear about them until they split.

I do agree with you on Dax's solo stuff. It's not my cup of tea either. It's too mellow and the lyrics don't have the same quailty that they did with AB, at least the little bit that I've heard doesn't wow me.

Sammy is a trooper. Saw Goatwhore a few years ago and was pretty impressed. Great live band.

What do you think of Peagan Terrorism tactics?

Mar 20, 2014 12:17 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Well, I'm an AB nerd, so it goes without saying what my opinion is. Have you given Agents a listen? It's still great stuff.

Mar 20, 2014 6:58 PM ET #6 (permalink)

Gonna hang out with Sammy on 4/4 up in Phoenix with Behemoth. :P

Mar 20, 2014 10:12 PM ET #7 (permalink)

I thought When The Kite String Pops was too raw the first times I heard my younger brothers playing it. I don't know how they found out about them. But the band grew on me with their unique sound and I overplayed it to anyone in my car for a looong time. I like the Sabbathy vibe of several of the songs on Pagan Terrorism Tactics and the remastered version of this album is perfect (original felt like the mix was too low and guitars were a bit weak).

I've given Agents of Oblivion several chances - even recently borrowed it from my brother again - but just can't get into them depsite liking some of Dax's solo material.

I had the chance to see Acid Bath one Halloween and instead chose Type O Negative because of the more familiar location. I wish I got the chance to see Acid Bath live, but wouldn't trade the memories of those two years of Type O Halloween shows at the 9:30 club for anything.

Mar 21, 2014 9:53 AM ET #8 (permalink)

I absolutely LOVE this band, I also like AOB but it's Acid Bath that stands out for me. I like both albums but for different reasons. I love the lyrics they used, I'm sure the phrase 'bone dust' or 'bone shards' comes up in about 80% of their songs! haha

Mar 29, 2014 11:10 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Big fan of Acid Bath and most of the post-band projects as well.

Goatwhore are on regular rotation for me, and I enjoy some Deadboy and the Elephantmen occasionally.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum