"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Futuristic Death Metal?

Posted in: Forum Home >> Extreme Metal >> Futuristic Death Metal?

Displaying 17 posts
Displaying 17 posts
Feb 15, 2010 9:03 PM ET #1 (permalink)

After buying a few songs of of Daath's album the concealers from Itunes, I noticed that the reviewer of the album described it as futuristic death metal. I'm wondering if such a genre even exists.

Feb 15, 2010 9:22 PM ET #2 (permalink)

No that's just a silly adjective. Which coincidentally is how all genres are created. They normally mean probably just means "has keyboards, is spacey and industrial" when they say futuristic. Nocturnus did it with "The Key" in the 90s anyway if you're looking for recommendations.

Feb 15, 2010 9:26 PM ET #3 (permalink)

i really cant get completely into these sub-sub genres. now, i havent heard a ton of daath but of what ive heard you could just call them death metal. everyone is trying to pin point bands into "cool" and "different sounding genres to sell them or whatever. im not an expert on this sort of thing at all but i dont think the genre exists. maybe the closest thing to "futuristic" could be bands like aborym or alchemist. wierd stuff but good stuff.

Feb 15, 2010 10:05 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Heavy metal has so many sub-genres, (some of which don't sound that different.), that my head hurts thinking about them all. I guess futuristic death metal isn't one of them.

Feb 16, 2010 5:02 PM ET #5 (permalink)

I like Daath, and I like that album, but the word 'futuristic' never came anywhere near to my mind... all in all, Obscura are better anyway :)

Feb 16, 2010 7:24 PM ET #6 (permalink)

thats not really fair there psythe...the musicians in obscura are insanely good at what they do. the music is pretty different from each other but i see what you're saying. now if you said arsis and obscura that would be a little fairer...i agree with you though, definently!

Feb 16, 2010 8:01 PM ET #7 (permalink)

I can see the future of death metal and it's pig squeals and the addition of hardcore breakdowns. Is that what you mean? :-)

Feb 17, 2010 3:56 AM ET #8 (permalink)

^Oh god, kill me now!! :/

Yeah, I know the two aren't really comparable, I've just been on a bit of an Obscura binge lately lol

Feb 17, 2010 11:46 PM ET #9 (permalink)

yeah no such thing as futuristic death metal... believe me, i know my death metal

Feb 18, 2010 1:38 AM ET #10 (permalink)

What kind of shit is this??? Futu..rrii..ss..tt...i..ccccccccc DM, fuck off! there can't be anything after death as you can't figure where u would be afterlife so be cautious and aware of what is happening around now coz, no one can predict the future, booyah! if still then go and have a dive in a spoonfull of water.

Feb 20, 2010 1:41 AM ET #11 (permalink)

Daath sucks!

Feb 20, 2010 12:32 PM ET #12 (permalink)

you suck.

Feb 20, 2010 7:08 PM ET #13 (permalink)

pig squeals just fucking kill me if that becomes true. A lot of grindcore bands do it but if all death metal bands start it is going to be a sign of doom.

Feb 20, 2010 8:01 PM ET #14 (permalink)

"if all death metal bands start it is going to be a sign of doom"

And if all doom metal bands start it is going to be a sign of black, and if all black metal bands sta- oh, wait - never mind. :P

Feb 26, 2010 2:02 PM ET #15 (permalink)

pig squealings cool but it gets old,and i dont think it realy belongs in deathmetal,if it takes over ther realy will be an eviseration plauge but by my desin not the devils

Mar 1, 2010 9:28 PM ET #16 (permalink)

I hear "Futuristic" and I immediately think of Cannibal Corpse with jetpacks or something

Mar 1, 2010 10:24 PM ET #17 (permalink)

Pig Squeal is for pussies, although Victims is good

Reply to Discussion or Return to Extreme Metal forum